Home

Crysis SP Demo (Yay!)

TiE23

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, lets get back on topic people, this is not an OS war thread.

You know, even if the demo is running at 8FPS on highest settings for me, it is still an amazing achievement.

As a Halloween treat for people who can't run Crysis on highest settings or at all, I've whittled down my 382 screenshots to a select 20 I can now share with you. Everything is in-game:

In-engine cut scenes.

Guys standing around looking manly.

Awesome.

Good caustics.

Note: Banding in sky is not in actual gameplay

Even underwater looks amazing.

Mountain in background is not skybox.

Foliage.

A slightly too sudden but still cool sunrise.

A few things to notice: The glare arond the plants in front of the sun; the sun rays filtering through the trees; the flock of birds in the sky; and the light shining through the big leaf on the left. Oh, and the mountain.

Nice grass lighting.

A nice vista (not talking about the OS)

Nice ocean specular.

Clouds are volumetric (3D)

Indoors looks good too.

Facing a dual-pistol-wielding solder in a nano suit with a calm demeanor is no small feat. And what's the guy on the right shooting at?

That's a lot of trees (and really good shadows).

Some of the best ground textures in a game.

Looks great at all distances.

How so many good-looking trees can be rendered at an observable framerate is beyond me.

I'd also like to note that all of the trees are breakable and break at whatever point you're shooting at/punching. You can even break the pieces of trees into smaller pieces, and if the tree was small enough, you can pick up the pieces and throw them at people.

Enjoy.

Wish this game would work on my PC. When I upgrade, this will be the first game to test. Looks awsome!

Those trees must be over 50 thousand polies in one model...wow. That + my PC = :(

Edit: Ughh, on one of those pics there are over 100 trees...what FPS did you get there?

Nice screenshots there, IG. :)

And if someone tells me that I can run them on Linux using some sort of emulator program
Well, technically, if you're using WINE, WINE Is Not an Emulator. It provides nothing but the Windows API wrapped around native linux calls and does not *emulate* anything. It's fast, really fast, at least as fast as Windows, and it's cheap, really cheap, at least as cheap as "no cost at all". :xp: :xp: :xp:

Edit: Ughh, on one of those pics there are over 100 trees...what FPS did you get there?

It depends on what I set it on. If I turn the AA off, and shadows and shaders to high instead of very high I'll get about 15-30 fps. If I turn shadows and shaders to medium I get about 30-60 fps with a few severe framerate drops here and there depending on what's happening. If everything's on very high it's about 5-8fps.

Btw, all those screens were supposed to be 1680x1050, but imageshack resized a bunch of them.

I was pleasantly surprised that my comp was able to play the demo. So screw myself.

My setup:

Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

1.7GHz CPU

1.5GB RAM

I was able to run the game at about 20fps on minimum settings. So anybody thinking their comp won't run Crysis with anything above my settings is foolish.

I just love it. It's awesome. Though, with 2 GiB of RAM + a T5500 at 1,67 GHz + nVidia 7400 256 MiB I only can play it at 800x600 and medium settings. I may consider to do 'finetune' some clock settings.. however, as I did in FarCry, water will be always set to high. :D

It doesn't really matter what you set things to, I've set everything but shaders on very high (using a .cfg 'hack') and keep my shaders on medium and I never fall below 40 fps. Once you start touching the shaders option, you're playing with the old gameplay - - visuals meter. And to tell you the truth, I've ran it on DirectX10 and I still prefer shaders on medium.

Yeah but something tells me the game isn't finished yet, and it's not the "PRE-RELEASE VERSION" in the top of the screen. Changing most of the sliders has no effect for me for some reason. Try changing post-processing to low after you've switched to high or very high shaders.

Then there's the rumours of it not using the true available power that CPUs can produce, which I can attest to; Jedi Academy gets my CPU far hotter than crysis.

AND if you have an 8xxx series card you're bound to notice that the drivers SUCK. Just seriously they're poopoo in every way. I've tried numerous games on my 8600GT and it just performs below average, the same goes for any 8 series Nvidia card currently on the market, the technology is new and the drivers seem to echo this fact.

Just seriously they're poopoo in every way. I've tried numerous games on my 8600GT and it just performs below average, the same goes for any 8 series Nvidia card currently on the market, the technology is new and the drivers seem to echo this fact.

In compared to their predecessors? The DX10 mid range cards by ATI and NVIDIA are more like experimental DX10 cards to me. Like the 8600GTS is on par with the 7900GT in terms of performance. Even though the technology and specs of the 8600GTS are way better. The mid range DX10 cards of both companies have seen to perform better or worst than their predecessors which basically makes them the same in terms of performance. The only real advantage these cards have is the support for DX10.

So if you say your 8600GT performs below average you know why. Its just a GeForce 7 with a little more bells and whistles.

Hell, I've suffered years due to the fact that I had *no* shaders at all. Until last year's Christmas. I will not, never ever so to say, tone down or disable any pixel or vertex shader settings that are available. I rather set them high and go down in resolution or texture quality or watch a slide show XD

But I think what kills FPS are the physics and in game effects maybe also post processing, in fact my FPS get a real boost when I switch those to low.

Anyone got a good .ini file guide?

But I think what kills FPS are the physics and in game effects maybe also post processing, in fact my FPS get a real boost when I switch those to low.

Anyone got a good .ini file guide?

You dont need one, just use the Maximum Framerate function in your nanosuit. :twogun:

Hell yeah i got like 200 FPS the moment i turned it on.

In compared to their predecessors? The DX10 mid range cards by ATI and NVIDIA are more like experimental DX10 cards to me. Like the 8600GTS is on par with the 7900GT in terms of performance. Even though the technology and specs of the 8600GTS are way better. The mid range DX10 cards of both companies have seen to perform better or worst than their predecessors which basically makes them the same in terms of performance. The only real advantage these cards have is the support for DX10.

So if you say your 8600GT performs below average you know why. Its just a GeForce 7 with a little more bells and whistles.

That's the general consensus under people that sadly don't know any better and use it to console themselves for having bought something even ****tier :(

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=11837.0#msg203789

doing this can enable all the shiny Vista/DX10 only stuff in XP.

Sorry if that was posted earlier but I dont feel like reading through the whole thread.

I find I get better overall performance in XP even WITH all the Vista shininess enabled.

Archived