Home

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

zaykodroid

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. To Develop Ground-Breaking Interactive Entertainment Product

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA — October 30, 2007 — LucasArts and BioWare Corp. today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”

“BioWare’s mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans.” said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., “The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting indeed!

Guess we will have to wait and see what that actually means, and what platforms things will appear on...

Although, unfortunately, if they really are just reaching an agreement now, that means a new game, whatever it might be, is likely still several years away.

Well, if it's a single-player RPG, then we know that the main character will be a "mysterious stranger" with a hidden and troubled past which holds the key to the future.

At least, that seems to be the case in virtually EVERY Bioware RPG. :p

This has made my day!! *cheers* :D
Mine too. :D I forgot to add the appropriate emoticons in my previous post. :emodanc::grnbounc:

I hope its not the MMO...
Sure you can hope but I wouldn't bet on it, if I were you. ;)

Interesting that GameSpot is reporting that this new game will be co-developed and co-published by BioWare and LucasArts. I'm not sure that is the case but it would raise my eyebrow another notch if this is indeed true, the co-development because LucasArts hasn't developed any RPG's before and the co-publishing because I don't know how that would work between LucasArts and BioWare's soon-to-be parent company EA.

Char Ell, the press release itself says that the game will be developed and published by them both.

Very interesting report! I for one would be happy if the KotOR MMO rumors were true, but of course I'd be satisfied with a traditional RPG too. :D Whatever the game is, I'm looking forward to it. Too bad the earliest we'd see something is probably 2009.

Char Ell, the press release itself says that the game will be developed and published by them both.

Very interesting report! I for one would be happy if the KotOR MMO rumors were true, but of course I'd be satisfied with a traditional RPG too. :D Whatever the game is, I'm looking forward to it. Too bad the earliest we'd see something is probably 2009.

I'd also love to see a Kotor MMO but would wonder if it would work and not end up like Galaxies..............

As far as Fantasy RPGs go i think WOW is enough but i would one day like to see

an MMORPG of the Elder Scrolls that would incorporate all of Tamriel, Morrowind, Hammerfall etc. That really would be my dream project! :D

Hmmm...this made my day :D

Co-incidence: I saw a gameshow yesterday. The reviewers had to review the Battlefront game for the PSP. One of them said the latest Lucasarts game were a bit emotionless, and missed the 'SW' and 'story' feeling. He mentioned Battlefront had everything Star Wars, except that's it just a reskinned Battlefield. Same goes for Republic Commando. Had all the ingredients, except that it tried to be 'Rainbow Six' in space.

Lucasarts must have heard it, since Bioware is one of (if not THE) best storytelling companies. Come on, anyone who has played Jade Empire or Kotor knows this. Despite the obvious cliché's, (Jade Empire=Asian, Kotor=Star Wars) the gave it a twist, and made it absolute magnificent games.

So...what franchise that's in the posession of LucasArts needs some new...story, emotion and all? Difficult...difficult...:D

True that is one way of interpreting it. :) And while that may very well be the case it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for BioWare to be involved in publishing the game when EA will be BioWare's publisher as soon as their acquisition of VG Holdings closes in January. In any case, time will tell and as you said we won't see this game before 2009 so there is plenty of time to figure out these details.

EDIT: You're right, DM. It seems all the gaming websites are reporting that this is a co-development effort. Now I'm really curious to see how this arrangement actually works out.

maybe this means that they'll actually have to put effort into making the playable characters look different. With only 3 classes, 2 genders and like, 7 heads, we'd see a whole lot of clones in an MMO unless they introduce new races or use a face-sculpting thing like Oblivion.

edit: if Bioware and Luncsarts are teaming up, and Bioware is being bought out by EA, does this mean that it's really LucasArts and EA?

Oh boy is there going to be trouble now... I would guess that LA entered into this with Bioware before they were bought by EA, since I can see no way they would otherwise have done it, EA being a major competitor to LA. To me this means...

1. EA and LA are on a direct collision course.

2. Bioware MAY get to do the game(s) that is/are already agreed and that's it!

3. I see a bad moon rising... ;)

IMHO this sounds like incredibly bad and depressing news, however, because it clearly suggests to me that Obsidian will not get to do KotOR3 and that Avellone therefore will nto be allowed to finish what he started in TSL, since a LA/Bioware collaboration is likely to mean an MMORPG and so an end to the focused single player experiences of the KotOR games... in which case it's also likely means that KotOR is dead to me :(

Hail the KotOR comic books, which now seems to me to likely be the only true source of KotOR plots :(

Don't know why I'd be so surprised though - MMORGPs sell, and LA's track record suggests they kill good plot for good sales any day of the week... :(

Don't Give up all hope yet Jediphile, It could turn out to be another wild Bantha chase :)

As you say the Kotor comics have sustained us thus far, and you've always got TSLRP...

I personally have championed Bioware, and I would trust them with Kotor 3... In fact I'd insist on them doing it, but an MMO could be bad news for the Old Republic...

I would rather have Obisidan pull off KOTOR 3. After getting used to TSL, a return back to Bioware's plots...er...seem not that good. Besides, Obisidan has an idea of where they want to take that story, and I like them having creative control.

I'm firmly convinced that KOTOR MMO is in fact coming out and that K3 won't come. It's alright though. KOTOR is already dead to me, so there is no need to mourn.

Here's some more "official" news..

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x287/ZimStar_SWG/nokotor3.jpg

I think there's a fairly good chance that we'll see this long rumored MMO with former swg devs at Bioware Austin.

While I don't think this game is KOTOR 3 that screenshot post wouldn't necessarily disprove it. It was posted in March this year, so it might be that at the time they had no plans to do KOTOR 3, but have since been approached by Lucasarts and had a change of plans. :)

In either case it will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. I just hope they do a PC version and not go the console only route with this game as well.

"interactive entertainment product" seems a bit vague to me. For all we know this could mean anything from KOTOR to 3D backgamon. But the release used such adjectives as "groundbreaking" and "revolutionary" so i'm more inclined to believe it's a star wars product and not backgamon.

If it's not KOTOR i'll be pretty shocked.

"interactive entertainment product" seems a bit vague to me. For all we know this could mean anything from KOTOR to 3D backgamon. But the release used such adjectives as "groundbreaking" and "revolutionary" so i'm more inclined to believe it's a star wars product and not backgamon.

They probably wouldn't team up with Bioware to make a backgammon game though. Bioware's strength and experience is in RPG development, so I'd guess it's some variant of role playing game. :)

Archived