Home

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

zaykodroid

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In an effort to see if we can find some common ground, is there anyone here who honestly thinks this LucasArts/BioWare project will result in anything other than some sort of RPG (meaning SP or MMO) based on a LucasArts-owned IP? :)
No. :)

One point of interest is how in an MMO, your character isn't very powerful in terms of influence and everyone knowing your name, that stuff. Well first lets focus on who the character would be in a SPRPG. It's not going to be someone who's lost their connection to the force and is trying to get it back. Its not going to be Revan or the Exile. My guess is you would play as an ordinary Jedi. Now put this in the context of an MMO. Fits perfectly the way I see it.

Here's some more "official" news..

nokotor3.jpg

I think there's a fairly good chance that we'll see this long rumored MMO with former swg devs at Bioware Austin.

Edit - then again who knows! lol

All my hopes for KotOR 3 are dead... This isn't fair... Eh, I'll be satisfied with KotOR 1 and 2. If it is MMO, then I'm not buying it. Hear my words. It will not work.

All my hopes for KotOR 3 are dead... This isn't fair... Eh, I'll be satisfied with KotOR 1 and 2. If it is MMO, then I'm not buying it. Hear my words. It will not work.

Someone said it before: look when it was written. More than 6 months have passed since that. ;)

One point of interest is how in an MMO, your character isn't very powerful in terms of influence and everyone knowing your name, that stuff. Well first lets focus on who the character would be in a SPRPG. It's not going to be someone who's lost their connection to the force and is trying to get it back. Its not going to be Revan or the Exile. My guess is you would play as an ordinary Jedi. Now put this in the context of an MMO. Fits perfectly the way I see it.

Have to agree with you. Would btw be the only way you have force powers WITHOUT losing your connection to force or your mind before.:p

Actually BioWare and LucasArts can be making anything at this point.

But, whatever it is, I may not be playing new Star Wars game this year, because:

- New Star Wars Games: Not for PC (Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, The Force Unleashed)

- Or multiplayer games that require monthly fees.

It's a shame.

Did you see the date on that? 8 months ago...a lot can change in that time!

He also said currently

Yes, but he also said "we have no plans to start".

EDIT: At any rate, I think BioWare and LA will keep us waiting for a long time... Maybe they'll announce what game they are planning to do in 2008...

Actually BioWare and LucasArts can be making anything at this point.

But, whatever it is, I may not be playing new Star Wars game this year, because:

- New Star Wars Games: Not for PC (Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, The Force Unleashed)

- Or multiplayer games that require monthly fees.

It's a shame.

sadly, that's my stance too. I can't afford a next-next gen console, heck I can barely afford the games for my Ps2 and those are all cheap now. And I aboslutly refuse to pay monthly fees. I don't care HOW good a game is. Charge me 60 bucks for a game? fine. Charge me 50 bucks for the game and then 15 a month? HA!

EDIT: FU(Force Unleashed), is for PS2, so it's possible there I'll play that.

There is still hope, yes...

My hope is that we will be told by LA/BioWare what this "interactive product" is soon.

ok why do you guys want it to be a mmo? i'm sure if u played the last 2 games u will know it's better as a sp. and bioware/la only just announced to do a project, so biowares mmo started to get made in 2006. for some reasons i dont think they would announced them working together now if it was a mmo, since the game has been gettin made since 2005. just stupid if u ask me. kotor should stay single player has that is what people fell in love with it for, and 1000's of jedi's runing round when they aint many left is just a stupid idea. they ment to be a dying race on old republic. so it would be a rubbish mmo. everyone who is a true fan of kotor will know it's best kept how it is if there gonna make it. and la have allways said they aint gonna let kotor fade away. why dont u guys chill has a proper announcement will be made at e3 in july i bet ya.

ok why do you guys want it to be a mmo? i'm sure if u played the last 2 games u will know it's better as a sp. and bioware/la only just announced to do a project, so biowares mmo started to get made in 2006. for some reasons i dont think they would announced them working together now if it was a mmo, since the game has been gettin made since 2005. just stupid if u ask me. kotor should stay single player has that is what people fell in love with it for, and 1000's of jedi's runing round when they aint many left is just a stupid idea. they ment to be a dying race on old republic. so it would be a rubbish mmo. everyone who is a true fan of kotor will know it's best kept how it is if there gonna make it. and la have allways said they aint gonna let kotor fade away. why dont u guys chill has a proper announcement will be made at e3 in july i bet ya.

You haven't read my previous post. I don't want the game to be MMO. I want it to be SP.

Hm just because it's singleplayer doesn't mean it sucks as an MMORPG. Warcraft had three SP games + add-ons. The difference is: They had a finished story. And since KotOR always has two different endings(LS + DS) it would be best to settle it during a game.

Because:

- People want lightsabers and the force

- jedis and sith

Now if you look at these "requests" the only real choice to me is the KotOR 1 time. Both sith & jedi/Republic fight an open war.

KotOR II is more like a stealth war. Most people think that the jedi & sith are both gone. So it would be kinda stupid if there are thounsands of jedis. And the only sith you encounter on the "street" are the assassins. Not like in KotOR I whre you encounter a lot of them(Tatooine, Kashyyyk...).

Now during the Mandalorian Wars: Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm not really informed about the Mandalorian Wars) but at that point the Sith were gone. Canderous says something like that in KotOR1. Revan and Malak built a new empire, but during the Wars they were jedi. So you would cut out players who want force powers and be DS.

But that's just my opinion. Who knows if that game even has anything to do with Star Wars. It's most likely, yes, but we don't know for sure. :)

More to the point, why must it be a KotOR MMORPG?

If people are dying for a Star Wars MMORPG, then that's one thing. What I don't get is why it must be set in the KotOR era of Revan and exile? That will only conflict with the one era of the old republic that we probably know the most about. It would be far, far more convenient to go back or forward an hundred years or more, but oh no - lots of people insist that it must be right in time period of the KotOR games.

If the argument is that there it makes more sense in the old republic because there were more jedi, then fine, but there are still thousands of years of untold Star Wars history to place such a thing in and establish a background to suit such a setting.

I know I'm not going to play an MMORPG (or a console game), but I don't mind if others do. A MMORPG does not fit with the deep storytelling formula of the previous KotOR games, and I want to see a KotOR3 that finishes the story that began in the previous games.

I don't understand why people even argue that the successor to TSL should be an MMORPG. It makes no sense to me. I don't see how you can finish what is essentially a heavy plot-driven story like that. An MMORPG is just not suitable for that.

But you could certainly make an MMORPG for Star Wars in, well, pretty much any other time period. Why is that not good enough? Why is it apparently necessary to put the MMO in as a replacement for a single-player KotOR3?

Because people love the KotOR universe. Why introduce a new time period when the KotOR time is already popular?

Because lots of fans of the original games such as myself will be alienated?

If people want Star Wars MMORPG, then fine, but it cannot finish the ongoing plot, and I don't see why LA needs to go out of their way to step on the toes of people who supported the last two games in the series. Which is precisely what a KotOR MMORPG set in Revan/exile's time will feel like to me.

LA will not make mony on me from a KotOR MMORPG, because I will not be playing it. I will be buying and playing a single-player KotOR3, however. So the question is more like whether the MMO-fans will refuse to play the game unless it's KotOR. I don't think they will.

Oh don't make it so personal. You make it sound like LA is out to get all the SPRPG fans. And its not like I'm not a fan of the original games. KotOR 1 is my favorite game of all time. Its fine to share your problems with the idea of an MMO but don't make it sound like they apply to all KotOR fans.

LA will not make mony on me from a KotOR MMORPG, because I will not be playing it. I will be buying and playing a single-player KotOR3, however. So the question is more like whether the MMO-fans will refuse to play the game unless it's KotOR. I don't think they will.

Will they make any money from you if the MMORPG is set on another time period?

Now during the Mandalorian Wars: Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm not really informed about the Mandalorian Wars) but at that point the Sith were gone. Canderous says something like that in KotOR1. Revan and Malak built a new empire, but during the Wars they were jedi. So you would cut out players who want force powers and be DS.

That's not exactly true. There were dark Jedi who followed Revan. They were not out in the open Dark Jedi at the time, but there were Dark Jedi in his army during the mandalorian wars. They just started out as Jedi and were corrupted with time, so you'd still have the choice.

Oh don't make it so personal. You make it sound like LA is out to get all the SPRPG fans. And its not like I'm not a fan of the original games. KotOR 1 is my favorite game of all time. Its fine to share your problems with the idea of an MMO but don't make it sound like they apply to all KotOR fans.

Nor have I ever said so. But it's not like I'm the only person in existence who like the KotOR games but don't want to play the KotOR MMORPG, so doing that WILL mean alienating a certain part of the KotOR community. Not all, no, and frankly I'm not sure how many, but I've scarcely been the only one here voicing that position.

Indeed, I might equally spin it the other way and ask why you suggest that doing KotOR MMORPG won't alienate anyone and will be accepted by all when there is clear indications that is not the case.

And, of course, your position also does not apply to all KotOR fans.

Besides, my question remains...

Why should this MMORPG be set in the KotOR era, when it will both alienate a portion of the fanbase while also not fitting with the on-going plot of the previous games?

TSL needs a spiritual sequel. It has an open ending begging for closure. Star Wars MMORPG, on the other hand, has no need of KotOR whatsoever, since this new game is a blank canvas. Just go anywhere from 100 to, say, 3000 years after TSL, and the deves can do pretty much whatever they want. Why is that not an option?

Will they make any money from you if the MMORPG is set on another time period?

No, but it would leave the option of doing K3, where they would.

In short, doing the MMORPG as part of the KotOR series will mean the KotOR games are dead to me, whereas doing the MMORPG in another time period means that I can at least still be considered a potential customer.

Now, which is better for LA in the long run?

Archived