Home

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

zaykodroid

As far as I know, the PC heavily dominates the market for MMORPGs. The chances of a multiplatform release is relatively low. It would split their post-sale support resources. Personally, I wouldn't do that.
No question that the PC is the current dominant platform for MMORPG's. I'm just playing around with ideas here, wondering what could make this "ground-breaking entertainment product" LucasArts and BioWare are collaborating on actually be ground-breaking. Of course "ground-breaking" could just be standard marketing hype for the game. :)

I don't even know if there are any MMOs for consoles, are there?
Not any current ones that I know of. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures is reportedly going to be released for at least one console platform. Of course the PC version of the game has been delayed a couple of times and isn't due until 2008 Q1 now so it's hard to predict what Funcom will end up doing with the console version, if they even decide to make one after all.

I know nothing about MMOs ... do they normally provide cross-platform support simulataneously? Can a person with an Xbox normally play with someone on a PS3 in other MMOs?
Heh, neither do I. ;) But to clarify I wasn't necessarily thinking in terms of cross-platform capability. Each platform: PC, PS 3, Xbox 360, could have their own set of servers and players of one platform would only be playing with other players from the same platform. I think PC and Xbox 360 are very doable. I'm not so sure about the PS 3 though since I'm not sure how its Internet connectivity works. And as far as I know the Wii wouldn't even be considered for something like this. Then again, cross-platform playability would be "ground-breaking" would it not? It's just that the the developers would need to figure out a way to level the playing field when it comes to keyboard/mouse versus controllers if they went with a cross-platform solution.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess there's no point to argue here. It isn't going to change anything, really. Let's just wait to hear what BioWare & LucasArts are planning.

True, but it's fun to speculate. Last time they worked together, they gave us the greatest SW game made to date. Of course, this is good and bad. Good because we know they can make a great game and bad because we know they can make a great game!

Is everyone forgetting Final Fantasy XI?

The pioneer Console MMO?

Even though it's the worst game in the series, it is the first console mmo.

I guess we are. I've played a Final Fantasy game, so I never payed them much attention.

I remember pre-launch of SWG that the Xbox and PS2 were slated to have the game. As a beta tester, I don't recall seeing much discussion on it in the beta forums. Then it was like 2 weeks before launch when they pulled the plug on that idea.

I just now noticed, at the bioware website, on the drop down menu for bioware games, it lists the lucasarts/bioware game separate from the mmo and the next gen game. So, would that mean they are different games, and bioware is not doing a mmo with lucasarts?

I just now noticed, at the bioware website, on the drop down menu for bioware games, it lists the lucasarts/bioware game separate from the mmo and the next gen game. So, would that mean they are different games, and bioware is not doing a mmo with lucasarts?

Not necessarily, if they are doing an mmo, Bioware probably doesn't want to announce anything until Lucasarts' contract with SOE winds down inorder to avoid any legal entanglements that they might run into.

Bottom line: If it's got KOTOR on the box, I'm buying it, mmo or not.

Wouldn't they run into problems anyway, since the deal was made before the end of SOE's contract?

I don't think so as long as there isn't a clause in the current contract between SOE and LA that specifically stated that LA couldn't talk with other developers about future SW based mmo's. They probably won't anounce an mmo anytime soon, but if there is an announcement regarding the LA/Bioware game it would be something like "We're making a Star Wars game" sometime arund Christmas. And in the months leading up to the expiration of SOE's contract (which I believe is early 2008, correct me if i'm wrong), SOE would probably announce that their contract will not be extended and then LA/Bioware would probably make an announcement along the lines of "We're making a Star Wars mmo".

I don't see any problems unless LA is planning on renewing SOE's contract, which I honestly can't see happening.

They must really be enjoying themselves messing with us like this! lol I'm about ready to fall out of my seat waiting for an annoucement of something.

I don't see any problems unless LA is planning on renewing SOE's contract, which I honestly can't see happening.

I can't imagine why they would want to. The game is in shambles now.

Heh, the debating wasn't pointless as the feasibility of a KotOR MMO is still true. Still, great news that this is probably going to be a new SP RPG :)
Indeed. I'm not sure what to make of this but if the LucasArts/BioWare project is indeed not the BioWare MMORPG then I don't see how BioWare would tackle two MMORPG's at the same time. So I guess it would stand to reason that the LucasArts/BioWare project is a SPRPG.

I guess we're stuck waiting for more info. :giveup:

Students of the Indiana Jones' Seminar Series!

Uh...

QFT, anyone who hopes it's not KotOR 3 made by BioWare is clearly an imposter on this forum :carms:

Come to think of it...

Do you all think it's possible BioWare cold be working on two MMOs at the same time? I doubt it, they could possibly come into direct competition with each other, which wouldn't be good business would it?

My KotOR 3 hopes have raised by 11.92% again :)

Thanks for pointing this out and welcome to Lucasforums! :waive1:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but this could be a good sign. KotOR 3 was the first thing that came to mind when I heard of this deal.

It could also be that Bioware heard the cries of people wanting KotOR3 that would never play an MMO... It is also possible that the MMO would somehow tie in to this new interactive project. It is also possible that the information from "source close to bioware" was WRONG! Of course there is another possibility that wouldn't sit well with some on here. That the MMO is the project that they are working on with LA and just don't want to give too much information away KNOWING how frequently people are looking for clues as to whatever the project is.

QFT, anyone who hopes it's not KotOR 3 made by BioWare is clearly an imposter on this forum :carms:

Come to think of it...

Do you all think it's possible BioWare cold be working on two MMOs at the same time? I doubt it, they could possibly come into direct competition with each other, which wouldn't be good business would it?

My KotOR 3 hopes have raised by 11.92% again :)

I suppose its possible for BioWare to have 2 separate genres of MMO's out there, one for the sci fi/Star Wars fans and one to compete with WoW?

Probably best to wait & see... I hope I'm wrong, I want KotOR 3 as much as the next person!

QFT, anyone who hopes it's not KotOR 3 made by BioWare is clearly an impostor on this forum :carms:

I am not an impostor. I find that Bioware RPGs have a tendency to be cliched plots. I would much rather that Obsidian did KotOR 3. While I am not thrilled with the plot of NWN 2. I love Chris A.'s work on KotOR 2 and Josh Sawyer's work with Mask of the Betrayer. Plus Josh has some interesting ideas make a NWN 2 module out of the remains Blackhound (What was supposed to be BG 3).

^ looolz!

You're absolutely right!

There goes about half the speculation and pointless MMO debating in this thread :p

From the site:

looolz2.jpg

Groovy!

Not necessarily. It doesn't make it any more likely to be a sprpg then a mmo.

I believe they put it like that for the casual gamer who might "stumble" upon the site and check out the games list and say "oh wow, Bioware and Lucasarts are making a new game, that will be one to keep an eye out for." Because if it's not an mmo and if it's not a next-gen game......but an "interactive" one...what the hell does that mean? lol

Alas, we are left here to speculate...which is probably what they want anyways, because it brings more attention to the game itself [as if it needed more lol].

On a side note, I just can't wait to read all of the "I told you so" posts whenever we get an announcement. :rolleyes:

For me, if it's Bioware and Kotor, I'm all over it, no matter sprpg or mmorpg.

edit - post 5,555 cool lol

Archived