Home

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

zaykodroid

See the thing of it is, It doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't either the MMO that Bioware is currently working nor a seperate project. Since they don't want to comment on the MMO, if they removed the MMO they are working on and put up the "Lucasarts/Bioware Interactive Product" they would in essence be confirming that the MMO IS the "Lucasarts/Bioware Interactive Product" and we would have our answer.

Does it necessarily have to be that? No. It could very well be Monkey Island Adventures. The MMO could be Firefly Online(I wish haha but that's me) since that would not be their own IP and Multiverse has not announced who the developer for FFO is. Is it likely? Probably not. It is far more likely that they do not want to comment on the MMO nor the "Lucasarts/Bioware Interactive Product" as saying one is or isn't the other would give away more than they want to(though I expect "is").

Besides, Look at all the hype it is getting. Bioware hasn't said hardly anything. Yet you see the mounds of attention this blurb is getting. Viral marketing at its best...

IF however we see a "leaked" screenshot in January, then I might start standing firmly on the MMO side.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is something interesting I just stumbled across. Like anything else it's still pure speculation, but I really like the sound of it. I would prefer the mmo in this timeline vs the kotor one [which means there could still be a kotor 3 if this were true]. Now I've never read any of the EU, I just know the very basics. Still lots of things you could explore in this era.....

Last month, LucasArts withdrew Star Wars MMO rights from SOE.

@.@

Yes, that’s correct! Bioware will be developing a completely new Star Wars MMO based on Star Wars lore following the events of the movies.

Take a look for yourself!

Here is something interesting I just stumbled across. Like anything else it's still pure speculation, but I really like the sound of it. I would prefer the mmo in this timeline vs the kotor one [which means there could still be a kotor 3 if this were true]. Now I've never read any of the EU, I just know the very basics. Still lots of things you could explore in this era.....

@.@

Take a look for yourself!

I hope the site you are quoting is right.

Anything not from an official source I'll take with a grain (or maybe several shakers) of salt, but here's to it being true. A post-RotJ MMO should mean the death blow for any hopes of a KotOR one.

Unfortunately looks to be no evidence at all that points towards its truth. Where did they even get those numbers for SWG players?

That would be an interesting turn of events. It would be very nice to have a Star Wars MMO that I could tell people I play without having them look at me like I eat babies for breakfast.

I would rather it be set in that era myself. It would explain how someone would think that it was set in KotOR era as well... Bioware style, unfamiliar territories, people they aren't familiar with.

Hmmm...it would be a nice time setting. The Republic and the Empire fighting over worlds, with many unexplored planets...

Everyone who read the books would recall, Mykr, Wayland, Sluis Van...all (relatively) unknown planets.

Too bad it would rule out an Kotor-time MMO.

We shall see what the future holds for SW gaming :)

I've got to agree with Emperor Devon. This Kyle Maguire guy doesn't provide any sources for where he obtained any of his info. How does he know that "LucasArts withdrew Star Wars MMO rights from SOE?" The only thing I could verify is that there are no SWG products for sale at Sony's Station.com Store but I don't follow SWG so I don't know if that has been the case for some time or this happened more recently. I also will be very surprised if LucasArts and BioWare make an MMOG in the Thrawn era.

Star Wars: Hand of Thrawn = :barf:

I thought Thrawn was a great character but that title sounds more like an expansion than a core game and IMHO an MMORPG title shouldn't be focused on a single character. Anyway, makes me wonder if someone is pulling this guy's leg.

Yeah, I checked Lucasarts.com and all it says is that they've teamed up, and that release of their project idea will come at a later date. So basically, the "Hand of Thrawn" MMO is just a rumour he must have picked up on. I don't trust rumours, only facts.

Well spoken.

There are no exact details right now, just hearsay.

Well, at least Lucas would be smart enough not to team up with $ony this time.

We know how good $ony is when it comes to MMO management as seen in swg. Largest subscribers, korean fans, great commercial, wonderous exposure, most successful mmo, and even celebs like Mr. T ... OH WAIT! THAT'S WoW. What did $ony do for swg? Oh yeah, successfully ruining it by reducing the number of subscribers, kindly ignore what the players want, and zero advertizing.

I would hate to see those guys getting their hands on any mmo title again, ever.

Well, at least Lucas would be smart enough not to team up with $ony this time.

What did $ony do for swg? Oh yeah, successfully ruining it by reducing the number of subscribers, kindly ignore what the players want, and zero advertizing.

Yeah they never did a lot of advertising. It's funny, they just figured because it's "star wars" that people would flock to it, no matter how many bugs there were. WoW was sucessful from the start because of how polished it was from the word go. Granted their launch wasn't all that great, but I don't think many care at this point now. lol

I would hate to see those guys getting their hands on any mmo title again, ever.

I won't be playing any SoE mmo's anytime soon.

Hmm, I'd definitely prefer a Kotor mmo over a post-RotJ one and sounds like that article was bogus. It has been removed from that site for now it looks like.

Yeah I noticed they pulled it a few days ago. Some of those details seemed pretty far fetched [soe license getting pulled among others]. Alas I bring it up anyways to encourage more discussion on the topic. :)

I, as much as any of you, want KOTOR 3 to be a reality. If anyone has said what I'm about to say, I'm apologizing now. Correct me if I'm wrong but before this new anouncement LA and BW have stated they are for sure NOT making a KOTOR 3 together. Its very likely that this partnership could be for a whole different game. They say they are making an "Innovative New Game". KOTOR 1 and 2 were so perfect, what is there to innovate? When I hear the phrase above I think of something completely new, like The Force Unleashed, and I just don't see how or why they would change KOTOR or "innovate" it. All I need is a new story line and I'll be the happiest person alive. Sorry if I don't reply to any replies to this but I don't make it to these boards too often.

I know this has bothered quite a few persons here and I thought about it too. Primarily, what does it mean?

Well, I was reading a press conference done by some big company executive who I don't care about but does work or has a hand in the video game industry. See, he was talking about "interactive entertainment". Now I went:" Why would this guy talk about interactive entertainment?"

Then it struck me. Everywhere in his speech, where there was supposed to be the word "video game", there was "interactive entertainment". See where I'm getting at? No? Ok, a bit of clarification.

Many words change over time. The evolution of mentalities usually bring those changes along. The best example would be comic books. Originally, kids read comic books. It was aimed at kids. Then it changed mainly because they grew up. The industry followed. What happened next then? Those books got more mature. Suddenly, they were getting attention as serious works of art. Then the name changed. No longer should they be called comic books; that's for kids! So came along the term "graphic novel".

So replace the term "comic book" with "video game" in the above paragraph and the term "graphic novel" for "interactive entertainment". See?

Now, this is in no way an indication of a KotOR 3 being made, it's only to silence the "It-could-be-anything-because-they-call-it-an-interactive-product" crowd. It could be a game for mobile phones for all I know...

By who, Prime? Most Video Game designers don't call it that. It's possible that LucasArts told BioWare to call it that, although I find that rather unlikely. When someone talks about "Interactive Entertainment" I think of old school stuff like Space Ace. The "Press J or Die", ad nauseum. I'm probably wrong, but I can't help but get that feeling every time I look on BioWare's page.

Archived