Home

Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

zaykodroid

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In either case it will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. I just hope they do a PC version and not go the console only route with this game as well.

If it's a MMO, it will most likely be released for the PC (WOW is more popular than any console game ever was, after all). If not, there is a big chance that it will be console exclusive (seeing as how both LA and Bioware care little for the PC as of late... a few Bioware developers even said that they play only console games. Kind of an odd statement since console games are made on the PC :D)

Maybe someone could explain to me how a KotOR MMO release means KotOR3 is dead. They are two different genres with different consumer bases. The storyline set by KotoR and TSL would not be affected by an MMO, and I fail to see how an MMO could wrap up the loose ends of TSL.

What would stop Lucasarts from developing a KotOR MMO with Bioware and KotOR3 with Obsidian for example?

Well, damn. Damn, damn, damn, DAMN.

This is without any doubt the most horrible, heart-wrenching, god-awful, <insert a thousand adjectives to imply awfulness> Star Wars news I have heard in years. :(

I sincerely hope that this is not KotOR they are working on, or it will mean the end of the brilliant character and plot development Avellone and co delivered to us. I don't doubt BioWare's capability to deliver a satisfying single-player roleplaying experience, but to be frank they just aren't on the same level as Obsidian as good as they may be. Of all the games Obsidian couldn't make, it had to be this one... :(

Of course, here I'm still assuming this is going to be a single player game. :( If this is a KotOR MMO the one untarnished game series I have yet to have played will have been utterly, completely ruined and turned into the worst possible parody of itself I could think of. Why don't we have Torment re-released as a shooter with half the dialogue while we're at it?

Sad, sad, SAD day! :crybaby:

get ready to live the ultimate online star wars experience with BioWare.

Yep. Pay monthly fees to wander around a butchery of the KotOR universe to hear prepubescent 12-year olds spam how much Revan rules. :)

What would stop Lucasarts from developing a KotOR MMO with Bioware and KotOR3 with Obsidian for example?

That could be something to hope for. But this is LucasArts, so any possibility that could satisfy me I am instantly skeptical of. At the very least it would delay K3 by a few years to prevent the series from being over-milked in one sitting.

I think I might cry... and no, they wouldn't be tears of joy. :crybaby:

There's about as much of a chance of Obsidian making KotOR III now as there is of me gouging my eyes out with a rusty spoon. Even if they would be willing to spend the money on both a KotOR MMORPG and single-player RPG, they aren't quite in the habit of pleasing their customers.

I guess pretty much any news on any given day tends to polarize people but sometimes more strongly than at other times. Obviously there are those who immediately dismiss a KotOR MMORPG as unworthy and want KotOR to continue as a SPRPG. I would prefer that as well. And while a KotOR-era MMORPG does seem to be the most likely possibility out of this collaboration we still can't be sure that is what it is until it's officially announced.

As for myself I'm open to a KotOR-based MMORPG. From what I've read about BioWare's MMORPG it seems that BioWare will use some very interesting technologies to promote a story-driven experience without the normal grind present in most of the current crop of MMORPG's. See 1UP's article BioWare Austin Talks About Upcoming MMO from last November to get an idea of what BioWare is shooting for with their first foray into this genre.

I'm excited about the prospects this combined BioWare/LucasArts project brings. Who knows? Maybe they'll surprise us and whatever it turns out to be won't be KotOR-related. But if it does turn out to be based in the KotOR era of the SW universe I know I'm going to try it. :D

Some other questions I've come up with so far:

If this is a collaborative development effort between BioWare and LucasArts then who from LucasArts will be involved in the development process? Where will these LucasArts people be located? Does everybody see where my line of questioning is going here? :lol:

The answers to these questions would also help determine LucasArts' disposition towards future RPGs. This could be a great mentoring project for LucasArts personnel to learn from some great RPG developers just how RP game design works. LucasArts could use this experience to develop future RPG's in-house.

You know what, after so much time without anything (aside from being mentioned on interviews) about the KotOR franchise, even some lacking news like that one makes my day. Even if it's not the big 3 we were waiting, it's already a step on it's direction.

Personally, I root for the trilogy ends back on Bioware's hand, even, as some might say, the storyline suffers on the process. Well, I felt it disintegrate on the second installment, not Obsidian's fault, mind you, but because KotOR wasn't really meant to have a sequel. And even as Obsidian did their best, I found the result barely satisfying and that's it. For me, Bioware's the name.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could Lucasarts do this to us. We want to finish the story not have to pay 20 bucks a month to play an mmorpg which brings absoulutely no closure to the series. Cmon, Lucasarts is known for making alot of stupid moves(and i mean ALOT) but this is by far the stupidist. thanks alot for rewarding your loyal fans with a partnership with Bioware. I have just lost all of the little faith I actually had in Lucasarts and K3.

Yeah, because their first partnership, which birthed the original KotoR was a catastrophe...Root for Obsidian as they brutally tear apart future installments in series. TSL and NWN2 are both massive disappointments compared to their fathers. And you can say that it's because they were rushed out the door, but the fact is, Avellone is too ambitious and has twice so far bitten off more than he can choke down. Bioware is far more experienced.

TSL and NWN2 are both massive disappointments compared to their fathers. And you can say that it's because they were rushed out the door, but the fact is, Avellone is too ambitious and has twice so far bitten off more than he can choke down. Bioware is far more experienced.

You've touched on the critical point. It's not like Obsidian is a bad developer team, quite the contrary, they've got a lot of potential. It's just all about the way Chris Avellone runs the group. And the simplest way to demonstrate that is by looking on his achievements (the companies letdowns games).

I personally think that they need to make a KOTOR 3 sometime down the line just to finish the story up. Its not fair to all the people out there who have played KOTOR 1/2 on the console or on a PC thats not capable of playing games online very well to have to play an MMO just to finish the story. If Lucasarts does make an MMO it needs to be a seperate game and they need to make KOTOR 3 for everybody so that noone is left out. KOTOR was never meant to be an online game.

As others have said I would like a KOTOR III by Obsidian but if it comes out that this KIII just by Bioware I'd be like meh it's ok( you know still freaken YAHHOO! but I'm rooting for Feargus and Chris). If it turns out that this is K3 but an mmo I'll be like cool I'll try it, even if it says KOTOR they could put it in the War with Exar Kun or something further in the past or in the distant future so it doesn't touch KOTOR and TSL's story. I remember downloading Galaxies for a 10 or 14 day trial, I played it the first two days and was like this is cool and then the last eight or twelve days I didn't touch it, I was a wookie jedi that was pretty sAweet. This could even be an Idiana Jones thing or heck ya maybe EVEN a MONKEY ISLAND thing, now that would be rad.

Yeah, because their first partnership, which birthed the original KotoR was a catastrophe...Root for Obsidian as they brutally tear apart future installments in series. TSL and NWN2 are both massive disappointments compared to their fathers. And you can say that it's because they were rushed out the door, but the fact is, Avellone is too ambitious and has twice so far bitten off more than he can choke down. Bioware is far more experienced.

TSL story was deeper, Obsidian doesn't baby feed people the story, you have to read between the lines and get to the heart of the matter; not for the whole game but parts and I like their style Avellone is a good writer and I believe that I read in an article from the web( somebody correct me if I'm wrong) but Chris didn't work that much on the NWN2 storyline some other guy was at the head of it, Avellone, I'm sure participated but he wasn't in the drivers seat, I think. I enjoyed NWN2 storyline it was ambitious and worked out well(I only had a problem with the graphics, I had everything on low and it was choppy, my sky was a bunch of lines or orange eesh, now I've upgraded my card from a 128 to a 512 so it works amazingly).

From what I get about the NWN2 expansion reviews, the story is kick ars, one review said they're back to their planescape Torment ways. I've never played that game but people say it's great. It seems to me maybe they just had a few bumps but their finding the wind in their sails so to speak.

Sorry I screwed up I made two post in a row

I have combined them this time. Please don't do that anymore, thanks. -RH

i'm so excited bout this, the only reason i hope it's not mmorg is taht i ain't got the money nor the connection for it, if it is then i doubt that will end chances of a kotor3, there is to much of a broad timeline to use up. though it would probably delay the release of the next chapter in the series. will it ruin kotor? i doubt it has star wars galaxies stopped anyone play any of the other star wars game available?

i do hope we hear more bout it soon :)

TSL might have had a GREAT plot, if it were finished. As it was, you could tell it was rushed out the door by how quickly and poorly the game wrapped up. The fates of the characters were dealt with in a massive infodump by the major villain! I'm sure that, had they finished the game within the deadline LucasArts gave them, it would have been great, but Avellone couldn't pull through. LucasArts wouldn't wait for Obsidian to finish on TSL, it's unlikely they would for III. Bioware's games are consistently solid, they wrap up the plotlines, and I've never seen a Bioware game have so many flaws that a mod needs to practically rebuild the game.

“BioWare’s mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans.” [/b]

Yep, that sounds like KotOR alright. :p I, too hope that this won't be an MMO.

Now, how about a new Monkey Island with a realistic dueling system where you can yell out your own insults?

No offence, but I really wouldn't want to see that made by Bioware. ;)

Now, let us all hope for God's sake that LucasArts does not terrorize Bioware into a Christmas 2008 release.

Char Ell's 1up interview is dating from November 2006, it mentions the Bioware MMO being announced in March of the same year, with development which started in December 2005. Leemu Taos' screenshot dates of March 2007. It mentions how Bioware, at that moment, was not making KotOR 3.

Why the hell do people panic then? How is this an indication of Bioware's MMORPG being some follow-up of TSL?

Bioware's MMORPG has been in development for many years now, if it is indeed a KotOR game, it won't be the end of the trilogy, simply an MMO set in the global KotOR universe. Hey, it could be about the Mandalorian Wars.

Then, this press release could indicate an entirely new partnership. On one side, it could really indicate that KotOR 3 is going to be made. On the other, it could be anything.

Finally, if this is indeed an entirely new partnership, it's truly good news. It means Bioware is able to do it's own things, not what EA necessarily wants.

I'll add another thing before I end this post. The interview mentions how in Bioware MMO, the character doesn't save the universe, using Sauron and a hypothetical LOTR game as an exemple. The player cannot defeat Sauron, but does have its own personal story that's exciting. This MMORPG obviously cannot be the end to the KotOR story.

I'll take a wait and see approach instead of random panicking. Worst case scenario, it's an MMORPG that concludes the KotOR trilogy (IMO, impossible to make). Best case, it's KotOR 3 as an SPRPG. Middle ground, a KotOR MMO not having anything to do with KotOR 3.

Going crazy over a really vague press release is quite stupid.

Archived