Home

Do's and Don'ts for KotOR III

Diego Varen

If it aint star warish, don't call it Star Wars, unless there making an Ewok Adventure RPG of course

Like a willow sequel?

After Star Wars Galaxies, do you guys really need to put ideas like these in LA's heads? ;)

I doubt we'll be laughing when they do it...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always wondered if there was someone like that. I though that everyone who played frequently the game was firstly a SW fan, not exclusively an RPG fan.

Not really. While people like me are indeed a silent minority, we do like KOTOR due to the fact of choices (LS/DS), the ability to change the fate of the galaxy, good combat, etc. Overall, KOTOR was a good RPG, and I bought it because of it. Nothing to do with Star Wars, which I manitan is too space operaic for my tastes. TSL is my favorite game, because it wasn't really that related to Star Wars, and more about philosphy, like ethical relativism.

The thing that can drive me away from K3 is a cliched plot, which I usually associated with Star Wars. I'm not bashing Star Wars, I don't want to, but I would hope for some more original plots for KOTOR 3. Eh, we'll find out if/when it comes out. Doubting it will, though.

Don't:

- **** it up!

You win.

Do:

- Have a new main character.

- Include Revan and the Exile in the plot, but not too much. Maybe only a couple of appearances.

- Allow for people to choose Revan and the Exile's gender and alignment in some conversations in the game.

- Give more variation to the party by making several of them be able to join based on your gender and alignment.

- Bring back Obsidian.

- Add some new animations.

- Spend plenty of time on character development and plot depth.

- Give most of the old party members some kind of a role in the plot.

- Have all new characters for the party, except for the droids, and maybe Bastila.

- Make it so that it takes several conversations throughout the game to make the available party members Jedi.

- Allow the possibility of a grey alignment.

- Either give each planet more areas to explore, or add more planets.

- Make it a single player game.

- Make it.

Don't:

- Bring back BioWare.

- Change the combat system.

- Add a bunch of stupid Force powers that no one will ever use.

- Re-use any planets.

- Make it a MMORPG.

- Not make it.

Not really. While people like me are indeed a silent minority, we do like KOTOR due to the fact of choices (LS/DS), the ability to change the fate of the galaxy, good combat, etc. Overall, KOTOR was a good RPG, and I bought it because of it. Nothing to do with Star Wars, which I manitan is too space operaic for my tastes. TSL is my favorite game, because it wasn't really that related to Star Wars, and more about philosphy, like ethical relativism.

The thing that can drive me away from K3 is a cliched plot, which I usually associated with Star Wars. I'm not bashing Star Wars, I don't want to, but I would hope for some more original plots for KOTOR 3. Eh, we'll find out if/when it comes out. Doubting it will, though.

I actually find that pretty curious and amusing. It's interesting that a Star Wars game, considering the people who normally buy them, can draw a different crowd for a exchange.

• 5 weeks later...

Do:

- put some tragic stuff in there, like the cut Atton part in K2. I never liked how it all works out somehow all the time.

- let the Pc have a voice

- have other playable races, like Twi'lek, wookies...actually not wookies -> you don't dress a wookie

- Hoods

- lots and lots of clothing, to actually be able to make your character look unique. maybe an option with 5 diffrent clothing slots like head, chest, arms, legs and feet.

- spend as much time on the game as you need to - no need to rush

- make it complex. let it be mysterious, maybe even confusing at some points.

- a better romance plot, with multiple romance partners to choose from, not neccesarily for opposite gender only. and please don't black out the kiss scene

- let the darkside choices be real darkside choices. and I actually liked the K2 darkside transitions - keep that up

- have an influence system larger than just your party. if you are way evil, the republic should no longer support you, but maybe the sith might actually welcome you. turn the game around

- keep the ebon hawk, Hk and T3.

- let there be upgrades for the hawk and/or your swoopbike

- make diffrent droid armor be visible.

- make the option to send off Hk on assasination missions

- make multiple 'health bars'. You won't die if you loose an arm or a leg. you might not be able to fight or walk, but it shouldnt kill you. On the other hand a nice headshot should do the trick

- lots of unique stuff, swordhilts, blasters,...i can't think of more things for the do list...

Don't

- don't make the Pc godlike again. It might actually be interesting to play an untalented no-good for once. With other people passing you by. jealousy is a great way to the darkside

- don't only make a happy ending. let there be some extreme options in th end, like self-sacrifice, killing off party members...meaning let there be (a) happy ending(s), but also (a) tragic one(s)

- please, and thats a big one, don't force the canon gender+allignment revan and exile on us.

- don't make a gray allignment - the charcter would kind of start of with that, and that would be boring

- don't make it an mmorpg - i don't even know how this came up, why would kotor turn into an mmo?

Additional stuff

I didn't mind Taris. I liked how there was lots of stuff to do. Even though it took a long time to do, it was fun. That would fit with my point make the game more complex. It's not about getting the Planet done as quick as possible after all.

Thats all for now - maybe i will think of more later

Do: Bioware actually made a complete story the first time. They can repeat the feat.

Ignore Obsidian forever.

Don't

Bring Back Obsidian

Go back to any of the old planets in anything more than passing. Enough dramatic things have already happened on Dantooine for this century.

Do's and Don'ts for KotOR III

The title says it all. What do you want and what do you not want to see in KotOR III, if there ever will be one. I got this idea of another forum.

I'm hoping that LucasArts and/or BioWare, Obsidian or whatever company will make KotOR III watch over this thread, since this could give them some ideas.

---------------

Do's

- Keep Obsidian as the developers.

- Keep it on PC.

- Have a subtitle for KotOR III (eg, The Unknown Regions).

- Spend as much time as you can on making it. Despite the cut content of KotOR II: The Sith Lords, I still prefer it to its predecessor.

- Include Revan and the Jedi Exile (but not as playable characters and allow the player to choose their gender and alignment).

- Include HK-47, T3-M4 and the Ebon Hawk, for they are the C-3P0, R2-D2 and the Millennium Falcon of the KotOR era.

- Have a new playable character, whose gender and alignment can be chosen.

- Have grey sided alignment, for replayability and new options throughout the story.

- Have at least four planets where the main story takes place and a final planet for the conclusion.

- Allow the tutorial to be skipped, like KotOR II: The Sith Lords.

- An interesting storyline, like KotOR II: The Sith Lords.

- An interesting villian, like Kreia (I mean Darth Traya).

- Use the Unknown Regions as a main part of the game.

- Be careful. No continuity slips or otherwise us fans won't be happy.

---------------

Don'ts

- Bring back BioWare or replace Obsidian with another company, for I and others are perfectly happy with the work they did on KotOR: The Sith Lords.

- Change the graphics or control system, unless if you really need to.

- Re-use party members from the past two games. For party members, just the Droids and Canderous Ordo (Mandalore), but cameos from the other party members, if they are needed.

- Re-use planets from the past games. Dantooine and Korriban have been used twice and I've think they've run out of potential now and use planets like Coruscant or Alderaan.

- Use Taris. As much as I like the planet, I see no reason to go back there.

- Use Peragus. As much as I don't mind it, I don't want to see a level like Peragus again, where you were half naked and weaponless.

- Use cut content, but unless if it did have a main part to play in the series, then by all means bring it back.

- And lastly, don't do drugs, otherwise we'll recieve a psychedelic game (but imagine the results).

---------------

That's all I can think of for now, but maybe someone else can think up more ideas.

No offense intended dude, but you seem caught up in Obsidian and TSL. I think you should take Bioware and it's game a little more into consideration here. Bioware is known highly for great stories and gameplay. Just look at Jade Empire. That was a great game.

Obsidian did do well on TSL as far as continuing the story, and improving the gameplay variety. But they lacked in a few areas like progression and endings. It's ending reminds me of The Sopranos! :smash:

I'm just saying you should look at both angles very carefully before making a judgement. And that's why I say bring back Bioware.

No offense intended dude, but you seem caught up in Obsidian and TSL. I think you should take Bioware and it's game a little more into consideration here. Bioware is known highly for great stories and gameplay. Just look at Jade Empire. That was a great game.

Obsidian did do well on TSL as far as continuing the story, and improving the gameplay variety. But they lacked in a few areas like progression and endings. It's ending reminds me of The Sopranos! :smash:

I'm just saying you should look at both angles very carefully before making a judgement. And that's why I say bring back Bioware.

QFT.

To those of you listing the canonical genders/alignment under "Do not want" (kehe), you might as well bite the bullet and just start accepting it now. Since it's been announced, Lucasarts has made every attempt possible to ram their decision down the fan-base's throat, by publishing it in every official source where they could squeeze in a mention of it (Come on, like the nameless Jedi Exile has any place being mentioned in a book about droids for God's sake). Do you think they would hesitate for a second to finalize it in the third game? Might as well expect that the male, human, lightside, jedi, version of this game is also going to become canonized when all is said and done.

That being said, just like everyone I would love to see some of the possible alternate futures created by combining the last two games and their different endings, but I'm not holding my breath.

Do Want:

• A development schedule longer than a year. I'm more than willing to wait for a complete product.
  • Mass Effect's breath taking graphics.
  • Mass Effect's character creation process, combining a multitude of physical appearances as well as background story.
  • Mass Effect's style of seemless dialogue options and full PC voice overs. (Are you seeing a pattern here yet?)
  • Cameos. Bring back Carth, Bastila, and the entire gang from both games. I don't care how, just make it happen.

Do Not Want:

• A new style of play. Tweek it if you must, but KotOR is an RPG, let's keep it that way.
  • George Lucas to stand anywhere within 500 feet of development. Seriously, everything the man touches now turns into...well, the Phantom Menace. Let the fine men and women of Bioware handle things from here, and go back to profiting off it.
  • Grey Jedis. Just...no.

ok well

DO

have Revan as a PC able to chose gender

Have Bastila and the gang as party members

Have the ebon hawk

make the game longer than the others. More planets more dialogs

be able to have more than 2 people accompany you on your mission

be able to have romance with any of your party members except droids of course no matter what gender you are.

DON'T

not do what I have said :)

have the exile in it as I didn't like sith lords

I shall think of more....

Here is my "short" list.

DO

-Choose which character you play as Revan, Exile or Kreia's Son/Daughter

-Add even more saber colours in to the game.

-Add unique saber models into the game.

-Allow a wearable Revan mask you can get from Mandalore.

-Allow you to piece togther your lightsaber.

-Keep HK-47 as a party member.

-Allow you to play as Aliens e.g Twi'leks, Biths, Duros and Rodians

-Add extra more realistic saber soudns into the game.

-Add extra party member slots

-Allow who you want in your party and who you don't

-Add a multiplayer feature like JK

-Add a party puppet for every party member only at choice

-Add Atton as a party member

- Add The Exile or Darth Revan as the final boss.

-Make time manipulation a power you can learn from Kreia (ghost)

-Let you customize your head e.g hairstyles, eye colour, hair length, hair colour and skin colour.

-Age the main character gradually.

DON'T

-Return Juhani or GOTO

-Bring back Malak

-Make the cheat console invisible

-Kill off

-Cut anythng from the game

Okay, here is my list:

Do Want :

-Keep HK-47 and his smartass attitude

-More lightsaber fighting moves

-more diversity of characters

-more Force powers

-Bioware to develop the game using Mass Effect's game engine and visuals

-Better plot

-A little more background story for the characters

-More worlds

-Better Boss fights

DON'T WANT :

-Too much talking, more fighting!!

-Do not make awesome characters then later cut off their role

-Gizka

-LAME ENDING

Here is my "short" list.

DO

-Choose which character you play as Revan, Exile or Kreia's Son/Daughter

Kreia's Son/Daughter!? That's...creepy. An offspring of Kreia, I mean yeah like Atton said she might have been hot when she was younger but then her child would be kinda old if this was taking place after TSL. And what happened to the child when this was all happening? Why wasn't the child wiped out along with some of the other force sensitives?

Kreia's Son/Daughter!? That's...creepy.
There are number of hints throughout TSL that Kreia is/was Arren Kae and that Brianna is her daughter. This otherwise satirical website sums it up pretty nicely by pointing out the relevant in-game dialogues and their according screenshots. It's not canon, however.

Archived