Home

You bought Kotor why...

Ctrl Alt Del

Why have you bough Kotor (1 and/or 2)  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Why have you bough Kotor (1 and/or 2)

• Because I'm a Star Wars fan.
    • Because I'm a CRPG fan.
    • Both.
    • Because I appreciate Bioware/Obsidian work.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought KOTOR because I am a CRPG fan. Before playing KOTOR I never liked the Star Wars movies, but then I got hooked into the story of KOTOR. Now I own both KOTOR games for Xbox and PC, and I own all six Star wars movies, including some books.

So in closing KOTOR got me into the Star Wars universe. :)

I bought an Xbox from my brother in law and he had kOTOR, the first time I played it I really hated it, it stayed on the shelf for months and then I was really bored one day and decided to play it, i started to get the hang of it and ended up loving it. I then heard about TSL and decided to get that to see what it was like. I then found out about being able to mod the PC versions so bought them.

--Stream

Reason One. I am, and have been since 2003, an avid fan of EVERYTHING Star Wars.

Reason Two. It was a Star Wars game and I had loved Dark Forces two, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy, which a friend introduced me to one day. Said friend was also playing a bit of the Taris sewers with Mission when I came over, though I didn't see much because his mom didn't want him playing a 'single player' game and leaving me with nothing to do.

Reason three. The cover art was intriuging and I liked the idea of being able to storm the Galaxy with nine budies.

Reason four. I didn't know RPGs used turn based combat and prevented accrobatics, actual death of characters accept in special situations. Basically, I didn't know it had an entirely different layout than the Jedi Knight games.

The first KotOR I bought because I like Star Wars and I like a good RPG and from all the previews the game showed a lot of promise. In the end I was right to buy it, because it provided at least a month of constant fun and even later I'd replay certain segments, just for the fun of it.

The sequel I bought because the original was really good, regardless of the fact that I like Star Wars and RPGs. In the end I didn't regret buying the sequel either as it provided at least an equal amount of fun as the original, but I didn't find it as good as the original, mainly because of its premature release and cut content that has been the subject of many debates on these forums.

Well, I first saw KOTOR at a friend's place when he was playing it (and naturally he spoiled EVERYTHING about it, thanks a lot for that) and tried it briefly, but didn't really "feel" it at that point.

Then I bought an Xbox of my own, called this friend and asked him to borrow the game because the ones bundled with the system didn't interest me at that point (I had read several reviews of KOTOR by now and felt I just had to get into it). Of course, he had already traded it in for something and I learned to enjoy my bundled copy of Halo instead.

A few months after that, this same friend got KOTOR again and now I got to borrow it (I couldn't afford buying my own copy just yet since I had spent my money on Ninja Gaiden, Shenmue II and a bunch of other titles :D). I think I completed two playthroughs in the time I had the game. THEN I finally bought it. And when I got a decent PC, I bought it again to check out all the mods.

Actually I voted for "I'm a Star Wars fan", but now that I think of it the last option would have been a better choice. Oh well.

Well, I first saw KOTOR at a friend's place when he was playing it (and naturally he spoiled EVERYTHING about it, thanks a lot for that) and tried it briefly, but didn't really "feel" it at that point.

Then I bought an Xbox of my own, called this friend and asked him to borrow the game because the ones bundled with the system didn't interest me at that point (I had read several reviews of KOTOR by now and felt I just had to get into it). Of course, he had already traded it in for something and I learned to enjoy my bundled copy of Halo instead.

A few months after that, this same friend got KOTOR again and now I got to borrow it (I couldn't afford buying my own copy just yet since I had spent my money on Ninja Gaiden, Shenmue II and a bunch of other titles :D). I think I completed two playthroughs in the time I had the game. THEN I finally bought it. And when I got a decent PC, I bought it again to check out all the mods.

Actually I voted for "I'm a Star Wars fan", but now that I think of it the last option would have been a better choice. Oh well.

Exact same story of how I got my KOTOR game...

• 1 month later...

KOTOR was actually given to me by a fellow Star Wars fan (along with his XBOX once he got the 360), but the same principle applies. I'm by no means an avid gamer (I don't even come close), and I never would have played KOTOR had it not been for the Star Wars content. Fortunately for me, the storyline and game play were both amazing, and it only fueled the fire that was started by it being a Star Wars game.

Essentially, my friend told me that you can choose actions that take you to the light side or dark side, and from that statement alone I was hooked.

I'm by no means an avid gamer (I don't even come close), and I never would have played KOTOR had it not been for the Star Wars content.

Same here. But now that I've played both games, I'll probably keep my eyes on BioWare and Obsidian in the future (I plan to get Mass Effect for PC, and possibly Alpha Protocol).

EDIT: KOTOR was the first RPG I played, actually. K2 the second. And there isn't a third yet. I'm actually not into RPG at all. But I can't go back to mindless, storyless first-person shooters ever again.

I've heard that Mass Effect is supposed to be awesome... I just find it hard for me to get into it because I just don't have the time to dedicate to video games anymore (I'm getting old).

I work full-time, and I'm getting my MBA full-time... but those aren't even the main distractors. I have two sons at home, a 3-year old and a 15-month old, and I dedicate most of my free time to them (willingly).

That being said, I am really going to dig in to K2 this weekend and next week while I'm out of town on business.

I actually bought an Xbox specifically so I could play KOTOR - that was the only reason I bought the console, and I wasn't disappointed. Then I bought K2.

And then when I got a decent computer, I bought them both again for PC - mods FTW!

I bought the Star Wars Best Of PC in early 2007. I didn't even know what KotOR was at the time! I just bought it because it had Republic Commando and Battefront. When I played KotOR, it was love at first sight. I'd never played an RPG, so it was amazing for me, and still is!

I actually don't own any Xbox games outside of K1 and K2, and probably never will. If 360 comes out with K3, I'll buy the 360 to play it.

However, after reading a lot of these posts, most people seem to prefer the PC version b/c of mods/cheats. Initially I'm not interested in these, but perhaps I can be convinced...? Can someone help convince me the PC version is better?

Mods.

'Nuff said. And trust me, whatever you might think of them, you'll want them once you try some of the good ones. Unlike for a lot of other games, a lot of KotOR mods add content, not just 'cheat' items or things like that. Many mods add player-made side quests or additional content (some more extreme than otehrs).

I personally find the Recruit RedHawke mod quite amazing in K1, as well as the Caucasion Mission, and the make Mission a Jedi mod...

In K2, the Dark Apprentice: Holowan Consortium... that one's enough on it's own, but there are several other ones that I find amazing, but I can't think of their names...

Archived