• Calo Nord
    • Darth Bandon
    • Gadon Thek
    • Sherruk
    • Other

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darth Malak-- Or at least he used to be.

When I first played I was a non-offencive Smuggler, turned Sentinal. I had to struggle, GREATLY to get him down to 1 health. Then he had to suck up the life of the Jedi,and then got myself creamed. I have never finished that file. ( Is on my cousins xBox )

Wow, of course it's the Rancor. Try taking him one-on-one!

LOL! :) Good point!

I voted for Sherruk, not necessarily because he was hard to beat, but because his weapon(s) dealt a lot of damage to you. Malak was hard to beat the first time, but it got a lot easier the more you fought him. IMO, of course. :)

You know, I have never tried that, the first time that I played KotOR 1, I just bluntly ran out into the open and started shooting at it. As you could probably tell, it didn't end too well. I had to go back a full hour to get back to where I was. :( You live and you learn, I guess.

Pretty much all of KotOR's enemies are a breeze to beat, though that's due to the AI not being very smart. It's fairly rare to see them using tactics beyond 'hack-slash-hack-slash-drain life-drain life-repeat until dead'.

If I had to pick one it would be the rancor, though even with immunity to all weapons it's still easy enough to kill if you don't blindly charge at it. In my first playthrough I ran to the corner of one of the walls where it couldn't reach me and pelted it with grenades until it died.

Still, it's pretty rare you'll ever have to use tactics or plan ahead to survive. Pity that ended with the Infinity engine.

Pretty much all of KotOR's enemies are a breeze to beat, though that's due to the AI not being very smart. It's fairly rare to see them using tactics beyond 'hack-slash-hack-slash-drain life-drain life-repeat until dead'.

If I had to pick one it would be the rancor, though even with immunity to all weapons it's still easy enough to kill if you don't blindly charge at it. In my first playthrough I ran to the corner of one of the walls where it couldn't reach me and pelted it with grenades until it died.

Still, it's pretty rare you'll ever have to use tactics or plan ahead to survive. Pity that ended with the Infinity engine.

Well Stated ED

Well, you can sort of hide where he cannot hit you, and shoot the rancor til he is dead... it will take time, but it will happen eventually. Either that or use hit and run. You can heal up, the rancor cannot.

I know that. You can also bomb he to death with grenades. But I meant on melee combat... XD

And hit and run wouldn't work, as he crushes you with a single blow. :smash:

It's good to see that others have noticed this. Isn't AI supposed to improve as time progresses?

The thing is I'd played KotOR and NWN before I played Baldur's Gate I & II and thought that the battles would be similar to what I was used to. Needless to say I got my ass handed to me several times before I realized that I actually needed to develop some sort of strategy other than rushing in and hacking and slashing in order to win.

OT: I'd have to say Malak. Sure, he's easy now, but think about the first time you fought him. Since most Force powers can barely scratch his paint, the only thing you can do is buff up and trade blows with him after killing all of his captive Jedi.

And if Malak has become too easy I suggest trying Shem's Malak Improved mod. One little .uti file in your override folder and you'll be running for your life again. ;)

It's good to see that others have noticed this. Isn't AI supposed to improve as time progresses?

The thing is I'd played KotOR and NWN before I played Baldur's Gate I & II and thought that the battles would be similar to what I was used to. Needless to say I got my ass handed to me several times before I realized that I actually needed to develop some sort of strategy other than rushing in and hacking and slashing in order to win.

QFE

I enjoyed the fact that spell casting enemies in BG2 gave me a hard time. You just feel helpless when a mage makes you lose control over your entire group, casts a few AOE spells to damage them severely and proceeds to insta-kill your main character with a particulary powerful spell..

Made me study the concept of magic immunity and resistance :D

Kotor just lacks ANY challenging battle. I suppose for players who are new to the D&D system it can be quite challenging but for veterans..

(would've said Jolee, if he was up there)

If you choose to go DS at the Rakatan temple he is, but he puts up a horrible fight. The majority of the enemies in that phase of the game have better stats than the PC and are ridiculously easy enough to kill already, let alone ones that have stats equal/inferior to the PC's. Add to how he's a consular (dreadful HP) and how the AI isn't smart enough to take advantage of his Force powers, and on average it takes two rounds for him to go down.

He's pretty easy if you have Force Drain or Lightning, but without it he becomes extremely hard.

If you were completely destitute by the game's end, sure. Six planets worth of energy shields and Force immunity makes it impossible for him to deal out any damage. Even without it he's still sadly easy to beat; his 29 strength and 23 constitution sound impressive on paper, but he only has nine lives in comparison to the eighty-one or so granted by all the medpaks you've gathered up until that point, and unlike your character he has no equipment apart from a Dark Jedi Master robe.

And that's leaving out all the adrenal stimulants you've gathered up until that point, plus your fully upgraded double/dual lightsaber(s), and whatever Force buffs you can cast upon yourself. If you compare them all it's extraordinarily unbalanced:

Malak: 1-12 damage lightsaber plus his strength modifier. Total damage = 10-21. There's also a random chance of him using master flurry, but the AI isn't very smart.

Compare that to a fully buffed PC. Two 1-12 damage lightsabers upgraded with sapith and upari/krayt dragon pearl crystals = 5-20/6-12 (11-32 total). Add master flurry to that, which gives an extra attack each round... that's 22-64 damage. Then add master speed, which gives two extra attacks and you've doubled the damage again... that's 44-128 total damage you can dish out each round, even if the floating numbers only show a bunch of 8s. Sure, there's a chance you can miss him, but an already high strength plus some adrenal stims and Force buffs doesn't leave much chance for that considering Malak only has 18 dexterity and no AC-enhancing equipment to speak of.

Anyways, the battle is far from extremely hard. You'd have to tie your character's hands, blindfold them and hop on one foot to get anything even close to that. :)

If you were completely destitute by the game's end, sure. Six planets worth of energy shields and Force immunity makes it impossible for him to deal out any damage. Even without it he's still sadly easy to beat; his 29 strength and 23 constitution sound impressive on paper, but he only has nine lives in comparison to the eighty-one or so granted by all the medpaks you've gathered up until that point, and unlike your character he has no equipment apart from a Dark Jedi Master robe.

I think he meant, if you have no ways to destroy the capsules where the Jedi are. But almost everything work on it, throw lightsaber, Destroy Droid, etc...

Archived