Home

Is it the end for SW Galaxies?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

For the past 18 months, since Bioware posted vacancies for MMO designers, the rumour mill kicked in regarding a brand new Star Wars MMO set in the Knights of the Old Republic era. KOTOR was one of THE most successful and critically acclaimed Star Wars games of all time.

Fast forward to the present day, and after LucasArts announced that they are working on a brand new title with Bioware, it seems that the rumour mill has hit hyperspace!

Since the NGE arrived in late 2005, it doesn't take a fool to see the impact this had on the community. The empty servers, empty guild/friends lists are there for all to see.

Despite the development teams best efforts to create new and exciting features and the promises of being more transparent - Galaxies has been on a downward spiral. For a game that once boasted over 300,000 members, it's anyones guess how many are left playing today but the numbers are lower - much lower and for any big licence, that isn't good, especially when compared to the steam train that is Warcraft.

If the rumours of a brand new MMO set in the KOTOR are true, where will this leave Galaxies? With no new expansions announced for the next 12 months, a much smaller dev team that leave fans of the current game to enjoy new 'Chapters' that bring some amounts of new content and constant reworking of professions.

Rumours of server shut downs could be unfounded, but yet certain corners of the internet claim (again) that SOE will be losing the licence for Galaxies by 2009 - the 'planned' launch date for the new MMO.

However, SOE, despite peoples views, have the infrastructure to host a brand new MMO and LucasArts are determined to have a much bigger footing in the MMO market, especially after the success of Warcraft and most recently Lord of the Rings: Online.

However, with Electronic Arts' recent purchase of BioWare and their apparent lack of presence in the MMO market, EA could take the carpet from under SOEs feet and host any new MMO using their Warhammer server set up.(Whenever that game arrives!). EA and LucasArts do have a small relationship where EA publish their titles in Australia.

What does this mean for us?

For those of us who have invested alot of time and money into the game, the big question will be - 'will we be able to play on classic servers, like Everquest does after the EQII arrived?' - only LucasArts and SOE have the answers to that question right now.

If any new Star Wars MMO is announced and launched by 2009, that will make Galaxies 6 years old and if the game is to survive in a 'classic' status, a server merge would seem almost certain.

How hard will it be to let go? If you have stuck with the game through all of its changes, it will be a big blow. Our community has always been a loyal, if extremely tested one who has stood by this game over its checkered history.

What will you do? Will you stay playing the game if you can, or will you move on to the new Galaxies MMO, or leave the MMO arena for good?

The saga continues on one of the most talked about MMOs in history continues....

Having quit Galaxies only slightly after the "Smugglers and Scoundrels" update gave smugglers Pizza delivery in Compton. I think I can safely say I will be trying out the new Bioware MMO. To be honest, I'll probably try it out even if it isn't KotOR Online.

First off great post DMUK. Now to some of my thoughts....

For those of us who have invested alot of time and money into the game, the big question will be - 'will we be able to play on classic servers, like Everquest does after the EQII arrived?' - only LucasArts and SOE have the answers to that question right now.

After what happened with EQ, I believe they will offer classic servers either if/when the swg emulator is "live" or when this Bioware/LA mmo is launched-if it is Star Wars related of course. The way things are going with the emu, there's still much to be done, but I'm not a coder by any stretch, so I couldn't say for sure how much is really done. Bioware has been working on this mmo since December 2005 [one month after the NGE] and they have said it is in a "playable" state at this point. So i figure we might see the game launched in '09. Right around that time that SoE is rumored to lose their license. I'm thinking it's their exclusive SW mmo license.

If any new Star Wars MMO is announced and launched by 2009, that will make Galaxies 6 years old and if the game is to survive in a 'classic' status, a server merge would seem almost certain.

Agreed. 2008 will be very interesting for SWG.

How hard will it be to let go?

As much as I hate the NGE and all the changes that have happened to the game, it will be hard for me. I haven't played but about 3 months total in the NGE, but I still go back. SWG was my first mmo....what an amazing experience it was. So if it does get cancelled, i will definitely be sad.....but at the same time, I know that it's inevitable.

What will you do? Will you stay playing the game if you can, or will you move on to the new Galaxies MMO, or leave the MMO arena for good?

I definitely plan on playing any new SW related mmo [especially if said mmo is made by bio-ware ;) ]. I enjoy mmo's a lot more then standard single player games. I view it as actually cheaper then always going out and buying new games. Sad to say, but to me SWG is done for.

The saga continues on one of the most talked about MMOs in history continues....

And what a saga it has been...talk about a roller coaster. All mmo developers now have a model at which to look at what "not to do."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

even thoughi only played a very short time swg was one of the best games i ever played 2 years feel like a long time but it's going to go quick and i will play swg until it shuts down then i guess i'll move on to the kotor MMO i liked kotor more than swg and now that i think of it i will eventually like the kotor mmo more

I miss it...cause my computer i had it on kinda died. -_- i quit back in august, just got tired of waiting around for them to fix weapons and the price of everything being in the millions, not enough pvp spots and restuss getting old.

However: I still declare SWG the best star wars game ever created.

you all need to get lives...

How do I not have a life Rogue? I played Galaxies for almost two years, pre-NGE to NGE. I and many other members are angry at SOE for ruining the game so badly. It's just not fun anymore, no matter what they do to try and improve it, it just isn't.

Once it dies only then will SOE realize how badly they have failed and a new SWG will be created (maybe in place KOTOR MMO or something).

I can think of somebody ways to improve the game, but SOE just won't listen to mine or anyone else's opinions, and instead continue on being the money wh**** they have always been.

Granite, I haven't been on since early last summer but every time I get the will to try it out again, it only disappoints me.

then don't play it, move on to something else. bioware is developing kotor online. i'll probably be on that. swg was fun for me, but i got addicted and only then did i start to pick out flaws, because i'd play it every single day, every waking hour i didn't work went into that game. i'll probably be back once i get my computer fixed or get a new one so i can check out heroic encounters, the new ships, collections, etc. compared to pre-cu, imo, the game is better.

then don't play it, move on to something else. bioware is developing kotor online. i'll probably be on that. swg was fun for me, but i got addicted and only then did i start to pick out flaws, because i'd play it every single day, every waking hour i didn't work went into that game. i'll probably be back once i get my computer fixed or get a new one so i can check out heroic encounters, the new ships, collections, etc. compared to pre-cu, imo, the game is better.

I don't play it, I want to but to me it just seems so flawed. Quests are boring and repetitive, and SOE just adds new crappy items to keep the consumers 10% happy.

I know this is your own opinion but this is one stupid one the game is terrible as han sala said they are now just adding in crappy items to keep their remaining playbase.... :/ anyway if they would of took the time to FIX the bugs in precu and add in new quests instead of wanting to make the game like wow I bet precu would of done alot better precu was amazing, but just think how it would of been with bugs being fixed more content being added. **** for smugglers!! ect now the game just sucks but if you like the devs giving out a crappy item to make the remaining player base go oooooh shiney and you enjoy it eh have fun.

Much as I would love to see a KOTR universe, I myself have quite a bit of doubt that the new project will be in that mode,LA and Bioware turned their back on KOTR pretty strongly after KOTR II and the cutting of much content from its development before release, many game companies these days seem to jump in and jump back out of their own projects, I suspect not because the devel teams are lazy or want to short their own products but due to pressure from the top offices where the money people are unfortunately in power these days. I suspect the new universe may be one about Mass Effect or something like that.....but we can hope. I certainly will, but the way the game companies are acting currently they need to realize that their great game achievements deserve long term commitment and support, in order to deserve such from the community and from the buying public. IMHO. :)

For the past 18 months, since Bioware posted vacancies for MMO designers, the rumour mill kicked in regarding a brand new Star Wars MMO set in the Knights of the Old Republic era. KOTOR was one of THE most successful and critically acclaimed Star Wars games of all time.

Fast forward to the present day, and after LucasArts announced that they are working on a brand new title with Bioware, it seems that the rumour mill has hit hyperspace!

Since the NGE arrived in late 2005, it doesn't take a fool to see the impact this had on the community. The empty servers, empty guild/friends lists are there for all to see.

Despite the development teams best efforts to create new and exciting features and the promises of being more transparent - Galaxies has been on a downward spiral. For a game that once boasted over 300,000 members, it's anyones guess how many are left playing today but the numbers are lower - much lower and for any big licence, that isn't good, especially when compared to the steam train that is Warcraft.

If the rumours of a brand new MMO set in the KOTOR are true, where will this leave Galaxies? With no new expansions announced for the next 12 months, a much smaller dev team that leave fans of the current game to enjoy new 'Chapters' that bring some amounts of new content and constant reworking of professions.

Rumours of server shut downs could be unfounded, but yet certain corners of the internet claim (again) that SOE will be losing the licence for Galaxies by 2009 - the 'planned' launch date for the new MMO.

However, SOE, despite peoples views, have the infrastructure to host a brand new MMO and LucasArts are determined to have a much bigger footing in the MMO market, especially after the success of Warcraft and most recently Lord of the Rings: Online.

However, with Electronic Arts' recent purchase of BioWare and their apparent lack of presence in the MMO market, EA could take the carpet from under SOEs feet and host any new MMO using their Warhammer server set up.(Whenever that game arrives!). EA and LucasArts do have a small relationship where EA publish their titles in Australia.

How hard will it be to let go? If you have stuck with the game through all of its changes, it will be a big blow. Our community has always been a loyal, if extremely tested one who has stood by this game over its checkered history.

This is old but i guess I will reply to it since it has been kept bumped up. I personally dont think that swg will die until something comes out to replace it like the kotor mmorpg that their is rumors about. I would like to think that one of the emulator projects would be hte final blow for swg but it most likely wont as the remaining people on the server seem to like the new swg and are their to stay. Well that is my .2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived