Home

Is it the end for SW Galaxies?

Guest DarthMaulUK

I think a lot of the problem is that many people compare the NGE with pre-CU. It's kinda similar to something I love. Muscle cars. Back in the day, the cars were fast, but by no means perfect. They were unsafe, poor handling, and could be rather uncomfortable. Ride in a new car, and you have so many creature comforts that you take for granted. Ride in a muscle car after that and you will notice the air doesn't work as well, the carb has to be adjusted on a regular basis, timing, points, valves, bad brakes, shakes, body roll, and a myriad of other areas that wouldn't make it past QA in the modern market.

But people loved and still love their muscle cars. The NGE made everything simpler, and faster. If you have never played the old game, you can easily enjoy SWG in its current form. If you had, you have to let the old game go before you can enjoy the current game. I deleted my old account when the NGE hit. A friend came to me and said how much fun he was having with SWG, and I figured I would try it. At first I hated it. Then I started playing it like it was a new game. Now I like it.

If you play with the notions of how the old game was, you will never fully enjoy it.

If you play with the notions of how the old game was, you will never fully enjoy it.

It's not even accurate with the EU or anything for Star Wars. It's a disgrace to SW fans. Sure, pre-cu it still had it's problems (some things were even mispelled) but at least there weren't Jedi running all over the place and the servers were actually populated with people that didn't say things such as, "Where can I find n00bz to pwn!?".

The old game we once knew is gone. Now I pray to the Video Game Gods that SWG is remade by a company that isn't as cheap as SOE.

Awful disgrace of a company really. My buddy played The Matrix Online for a while and was telling me how the community was dead and how there are never any updates on the game at all.

It's not even accurate with the EU or anything for Star Wars. It's a disgrace to SW fans. Sure, pre-cu it still had it's problems (some things were even mispelled) but at least there weren't Jedi running all over the place and the servers were actually populated with people that didn't say things such as, "Where can I find n00bz to pwn!?".

You get that with any MMO that has PVP. But honestly I haven't seen that very often, and in fact it is fairly rare(for me, might be different on say Bria, but on flurry it doesn't seem that way). And if you truly believe that it wouldn't have gotten there eventually, you're only kidding yourself. The majority of the people were trying to unlock. Sure there were some hold outs(me included) that refused to even try for jedi, but there were roughly the same percentage trying to be jedi as are on the servers now. As far as being accurate for the EU, the game itself IS EU. The players, and their choices(including being jedi) are not, but the game itself is(sad as that may be).

The old game we once knew is gone. Now I pray to the Video Game Gods that SWG is remade by a company that isn't as cheap as SOE.

Awful disgrace of a company really. My buddy played The Matrix Online for a while and was telling me how the community was dead and how there are never any updates on the game at all.

Think of it this way, MXO would have suffered what fate had SOE not picked it up? Vanguard was picked up by SOE after the main company dissolved. These games were destined for non-existance. SOE actually stepped up and saved them from fading out. While I'm not exactly SOE's biggest fan(far from it) I have to give them credit where it is due. SOE has added a new space zone, new craftables(through collections), new high level content(heroic instances) fixed bugs(though they still have a long way to go), balanced combat(for the most part) added smuggling content(as bad as it is), expertise, brought back and enhanced camps, focussed on professions OTHER than jedi and BH(which, if you remember pre-cu that took the bulk of development time), and strangely enough started communicating more on the forums. Sure they have a long way to go, but at least acknowledge what they have done.

Personnally I never got sW galaxies because It seemed very limited on content. Just the way it was set up... It's just too content lacking for me. As a smuggler, my only ship is a Y1300, as a bouny hunter, my only ship is a Firespray class... Armors and clothing are all the same... There's not enough diversity... For example, I'd sure like to see a lot more kinds of ships in the game, character creation aspects, different kinds of clothing, more diverse weaponry, etc, etc... I'd like to see an MMO with a huge amount of items & content like the KOTOR series has...

You get that with any MMO that has PVP.

It's not even about the PVP. LOTRO has PVP play, and it's nowhere even close as far from the story line as SWG strayed from the SW storyline.

Think of it this way, MXO would have suffered what fate had SOE not picked it up?

I think it would have been better to just die, where another company could have picked it up later on and actually did something with the game. The game is just a waste. Don't think for a second SOE actually cares about the interests of their consumers, all they want is to make money. This is shown by how they ignored everyone's pleas to get rid of the NGE. Instead giving everybody shiny little toys here and there as long as they "buy, buy, buy" things and, not giving the game any content.

It's not even about the PVP. LOTRO has PVP play, and it's nowhere even close as far from the story line as SWG strayed from the SW storyline.

Sorry, thought the whole "n00bs to pwn" was referring to PVP. And yes to an extent it moves a bit from the star wars story line. It did that the moment they allowed non-humans to be in the empire. It did that the moment they allowed people to become jedi(even before the NGE). And again, SWG is canon. It's probably closest the "Ewoks" comic book side of canon, but still canon.

I think it would have been better to just die, where another company could have picked it up later on and actually did something with the game. The game is just a waste. Don't think for a second SOE actually cares about the interests of their consumers, all they want is to make money. This is shown by how they ignored everyone's pleas to get rid of the NGE. Instead giving everybody shiny little toys here and there as long as they "buy, buy, buy" things and, not giving the game any content.

I think that the devs might have been in the "Jaded veteran" stage of a developer cycle. Since they never got positive feedback no matter what they did, they just assumed that negative feedback is ok. And any company that tells you they are more concerned about you than their own bottom line, it either a non-profit, or they are very good at convincing you to believe them. No game company is all that concerned with keeping their customers happy. They are just concerned with keeping them paying. Sometimes the two intersect. Other times not so much. And I'm sooooo sure a new development company would want to pick up an IP that failed so miserably that the original company lost money on what should have been a cash cow. MXO would have been gone and never touched again. At least for those that want to play it, it is still there. AND at least it still has the same game system it started with.

It's probably closest the "Ewoks" comic book side of canon, but still canon.

It just restates canon elements. Like Luke is a real person kind of thing. That's about it.

Also, who has ever heard of a Lava lightsaber? lol

I think that the devs might have been in the "Jaded veteran" stage of a developer cycle. Since they never got positive feedback no matter what they did, they just assumed that negative feedback is ok. And any company that tells you they are more concerned about you than their own bottom line, it either a non-profit, or they are very good at convincing you to believe them. No game company is all that concerned with keeping their customers happy. They are just concerned with keeping them paying. Sometimes the two intersect. Other times not so much. And I'm sooooo sure a new development company would want to pick up an IP that failed so miserably that the original company lost money on what should have been a cash cow.

That is all true, but I was meaning the way that some developers get passionate about making their game look cool, because to them it's art. Same as a director is passionate about his films. SOE just wanted to lie to everybody and make as much money as possible by manipulating a game.

At least for those that want to play it, it is still there. AND at least it still has the same game system it started with.

I guess that's true, but then again you never know. Matrix Online has a good storyline for another company to pick up in the future. For christ sakes a Pirates of the Caribbean Online is coming-out (or is out).

Also, I was kind of trying to make the point that MXO is a fine example of how games die due to SOE and what SWG may be like in the near future.

It just restates canon elements. Like Luke is a real person kind of thing. That's about it.

It has added to canon as well.

Also, who has ever heard of a Lava lightsaber? lol

Sun King? If the Sun King is canon, I have no problem with a crystal made of lava.

That is all true, but I was meaning the way that some developers get passionate about making their game look cool, because to them it's art. Same as a director is passionate about his films. SOE just wanted to lie to everybody and make as much money as possible by manipulating a game.

That's usually the fresh developer. Brand new to the industry. After a year in a live game with people screaming that YOUR WORK SUCKS! and YOU JUST RUINED MY GAME! after you've just spent 3 months designing a great addition to the game(and no I don't mean the NGE crap, I'm talking about the constant battles between Jedi and BH that happened pre-cu and that every fix was met with harsh criticism). Heck people screamed at them when vehicles were introduced. Screamed when JTL came out("That should have been a part of the original game" screams mostly). Take something you love doing and then all you hear is criticism for a year. Hear that criticism every day. Its like getting kicked in the jewels on a daily basis. See how long it takes before you stop caring about negative criticism.

I guess that's true, but then again you never know. Matrix Online has a good storyline for another company to pick up in the future. For christ sakes a Pirates of the Caribbean Online is coming-out (or is out).

Well the Matrix craze is kinda over. Less and less people are interested in the matrix. Lots are burnt out on it. Pirates craze is still hot. Will be for a year or two at least. best strike while the iron is hot.

Also, I was kind of trying to make the point that MXO is a fine example of how games die due to SOE and what SWG may be like in the near future.

Well if you look at the number of people in game, it seems that the population is growing. I know I've seen a few of my old friends come back on line. I myself left for a while, and came back. Even with me playing late at night, I see quite a few people on. So the population is growing again. That's something I have not seen in quite some time. Heck when I forst joined pre-cu the population was already starting to drop. People were mad about the "Poke-Wars", KD/Dizzy, everyone wearing composite, Jedi was too hard, Jedi was too easy, Jedi was too powerful, Jedi was too weak, Too many jedi(yeah even before they were a starter prof, funny though how every jedi says that there are too many jedi, but what they really want to say is I should be the only jedi), there's NO CONTENT, and so many various bugs it would make your head spin. The NGE didn't start the decline in population. It just happened to be the last straw for a lot of people(though I would say instead of a straw, probably closer to 10 ton bricks). It was destined for the population it ended up with. The NGE just made that happen WAY sooner.

How so?

I guess you've got a point with everything else. I just want to see everything changed for the better instead small tweaks so I can come back and enjoy it.

Also, a fix of the god damn grinding.

The events on Mustafart, a number of the quests have also grown canon a little.

So far grinding appears to be a part of EVERY MMO. I mean it's not like pre-cu it wasn't a grind(yeah 2 missions at a time small XP payout... yay for mind numbing grinds). At least now they have high level stuff.

Oh and part of the justification for the NGE was so they could add more to the game(heroic instances?). The other part was that with 32 professions, balance was nightmarish at best, and near impossible at it's worst. I mean look how hard it is for them to balance 7 professions(crafter and entertainer don't count). They weer more or less afraid to touch space(and many pilots feared them touching space in the event of another NGE).

Now if they can just get us atmospheric flight :D

Hardly canon.

No, more like Barely canon. Again, I point out if "Ewoks" comic book silliness is canon, this is nowhere near as bad.

I just want them to make it better (or Bioware to take it) and I'll be satisfied

Well it seems the current dev team is more focussed on making it better. Plus the fact that they are attempting to add content at every chapter(6 week dev cycle), rather than paid expansions. Sure it still has far less content than most MMO's, but they are getting better. The game is leaps and bounds better than it was at the advent of the NGE. But then it isn't hard to beat that haha...

Well it seems the current dev team is more focussed on making it better. Plus the fact that they are attempting to add content at every chapter(6 week dev cycle), rather than paid expansions. Sure it still has far less content than most MMO's, but they are getting better. The game is leaps and bounds better than it was at the advent of the NGE. But then it isn't hard to beat that haha...

I'll come back when my server is populated again and it's more fun.

My biggest gripes with SWG (from the dev. end) are the Jedi and single professions. We could use the pre-CU/CU skillbox tree with the NGE professions (and replace Jedi with TK), and I think it could still work under our current system (expertise options can appear when you start building your profession tree, similar to like it is now)

That I would like to see a significant population again, but the devs really can't control that...

Archived