Home

after 4 hours of sleep...

Rtemis

During my sleep I went over the memory of the gunner vs. jedi match i had the

day before, and i figured that one of the key weapons of a gunner that is important in overwhelming a jedi is lacking a most obvious effect. I thought it would be realistic to give a face-protection effect (I am not aware of any terminology that describes it) on the part of the jedi who is being attacked by a flamethrower. Flamethrower are very hot. imagine the effect when the heat strike the exposed parts of the body. Especially the face. It would be natural that any normal conscious being would try to cover their faces. And where do you get the animation of covering the faces? In the rail map, where the tram is moving at a very high speed, the pc automatically covers its face when it is moving against the wind. Alternatively, Force Push resistance animation can be used. Here, I just have an idea, but im not competent enough to do it myself, because im such a newb that i didnt even know how to extract 3 dll files from a pk3 file. XD

And another thing, i think it would be very balanced if a jedi being attacked by a flamethrower cannot launch an attack. An example can be found in a star wars movie itself. Mace Windu could not retaliate against Jango Fett when he was flamethrowered. Similar was the case with obiwan. Oh wait, was that in the real movie? Anyway, since gunners are in a severe disadvantage in a close combat, i think it would be good to give them a realistically working flamethrower as one last resort. But it is just my idea. Probably born out of bias for gunners, but i thought it sounded logical. Contemplate upon it, fellows.

Jedi can move, but not attack, because the moment he disengage innate heat-shielding force power by launching an attack, he would be barbecued. No sensible jedi would want that. But you do not need to add the innate force power. It is just a logical assumption. At any rate, flamethrower must prevent the jedi from attacking, because if the need to use the flamethrower arises, the gunner will be dangerously close to saber point.

Btw, im online right now, so we can check out if the effect is really necessary. I ditched my school's night session so that I can get someone to play out the gunner-jedi duel with

me for conviction purposes. Mr. jack was... prejudiced, even though being a lucky gunner

is not a type of religion. Anyway, what is your word?

Jedi can move, but not attack, because the moment he disengage innate heat-shielding force power by launching an attack, he would be barbecued. No sensible jedi would want that. But you do not need to add the innate force power. It is just a logical assumption. At any rate, flamethrower must prevent the jedi from attacking, because if the need to use the flamethrower arises, the gunner will be dangerously close to saber point.

Gotcha, I understand what you're talking about now. Two issues that I can think of:

1. Would it apply to non-jedi as well?

2. Does this match up with the current state of the gameplay? Hocky, Jack, Max, what do you guys think?

Not sure about this one. On one hand it could help gunner balance against jedi a bit, on the other hand it could over power flamethrower to the extreme like it has been in the past. Rememebr, flamethrower goes straight to HP so it makes it a very good weapon against jedi. I suppose we could try it, what does everybody else think?

Note that unlike jedi's ability to swing, flamethrower cannot be used repeatedly nonstop. Don't go attrition in gunner vs. jedi because everything a gunner carries is limited in ammo aside from the hold-out blaster and the flamethrower. A jedi can deal 1200 DP damage per full FP reservoir even in blue stance. A single slice is enough to drop the gunner's dp to the bottom. Flamethrower cant even pass the 100 HP damage threshold at maximum output. And FP regenerates much faster than fuel. Meditation does not hlep regenerate fuel either. The flamethrower is one last desperate attempt to recover from a very dangerous situation. And it becomes realistic. Just like a single lightsaber slash will kill a gunner, a flamethrower should be used as a weapon of deterance against melee combat.

I think max is right. thats just imbalance waiting to happen. Though I woulding be opposed to normal shots stopping a swing. That might be something to work on to help gunners thats more balanced. The flamethrower just covers too big of an area and would become a win button for most gunners.

The effect is a goner, but what about the animation? I think that will be look quite cool, and you don;t need to manually work on the animation transition between that and saber swing (since we can swing while being attacked) because it exists in the original base assets. And another thing, many mb2 players in OJP agree that a gunner's firepower is mainly focused on the sentry turrets. A turret + seeker + level 3 BL gunner usually win in 1:1 combat (or even 2:1) against a jedi even if the gunner has no force, because the turret literally cut down jedi to pieces when they try doing force attack. increasing the delay between fire might balance it out. (like 200)

I have no problem with normal shots stopping the swing, the sentry already does it and a bit too well if I might add. If we add shots stopping a swing (or as I've pushed for: resetting the saber to ready position) we should also make the sentry vulnerable to deflected fire, since it isn't right now.

I have no problem with normal shots stopping the swing, the sentry already does it and a bit too well if I might add. If we add shots stopping a swing (or as I've pushed for: resetting the saber to ready position) we should also make the sentry vulnerable to deflected fire, since it isn't right now.

Actually I'm pretty sure it is vulnerable, its just really really hard to do because of were the hit angle is. I've done it once before, though it it may have just self destructed just as a blaster bolt hit is I suppose. But yeah teh shots stopping swings idea is probably a good one. Not sure how we'll do it though. My last attempt failed because I coudnt get teh preblocks to cooperate :p Darth die might have better luck. ALso I suppose we could lower the sentry firing rate a bit. I havent been able to find where its at in the code though.

The firing rate is included in the 'base' assets1.pk3 ext_data weapon file. I don't know how the settings there ended up in the OJP assets, especially since none of my own modifications work, (like DE-10 pistol integrated in the base assets giving an EMP burst effect during charged attack :) )but it would be worth a try to extract weapon files from the base assets and start editing from there. Lol, my base seeker droid still has orange blaster pistol shot, but from where the the seeker's blaster rifle projectile originated for OJP is a mystery.

I find firing rate of 200-300 most preferable.

Suggestion: OJP sure can use better particle effects. Especially bloody ones. I have one such pk3 mod, and hell, I used it on SP, and the gore is AMAZING! Imagine a limb being cut off and blood spurting out from there. The only problem would be that it might seem a bit unrealistic, since laser burns cauterize blood vessels. But anyway, its just my suggestion.

I doubt that the ext_data files hold anything more than the sounds and graphics that the guns use, and the effects that are used by guns are .efx files most likely. I should know, I've changed some.

The EMP effects you're talking about are code related, they're not something you'll find in ext_data.

Oh no, i didn't change the code, i just transferred the EMP burst effect from DEMP2 effect files to bryar effect files. And ext.data file does not hold sounds and graphics. They are held in different files. (like effects, gfx, shaders, sound, etc). And the weapon file im talking about is in DAT form. Ext_data includes settings for things like npcs, item, weapon, and saber. Type of files include DAT, SAB, NPC, etc. All of them are accessible through notepad.

Right, that's what you meant. The weapons file still contain information about projectile functions and rate of fire, amount of energy used, etc. Im only a casual modder so I do not know much about those code things. All I use is a simple notepad. :) Im saying that firing rate of sentry turret can be modified in the weapon file located in ext_data using just a notepad. And after that you can just add it to ojp pk3 file and release it in the next version. Oh wait, does that work that way? I'm not sure, I am not a professional. ^^;

The sentry shouldn't be so damn accurate, not to mention the seeker. They're one man armies instead of fire support devices! sigh

Amen, Max. Sentries are almost like portable droidekas right now, usually causing jedi to flee the scene. How balanced is that?

Archived