Home

Mobile DO WANT

It does look pretty awesome. One thing I'm not sure about, and maybe they haven't specified yet but is Google making a phone to use the platform on? Or will it only work with a specific provider?

Hmm, I've read that so far they intended to make it free from a specific platform. Unlike the iPhone.

Hmm, I've read that so far they intended to make it free from a specific platform. Unlike the iPhone.

The iphone has long been unlocked by talented shady characters around the world :) As the iphone hasnt officially been released in Oz, those who have one have acquired an unlocked one you can throw any compatible sim into.

I hate it when phones are locked to carriers. It's a scummy move which limits peoples purchase decisions :(

I always buy my phones unlocked(not always shadily either!!), as I switch carriers like I switch hats, depending on who is offering the best deal. I hate being locked into a contract for 3 years, to pay off something you dont want after 12 months.

I dont see the big deal about android. Sure its open source...people are going to need to buy a phone anyways, its not like you can piece a cellie together from bits you pick up at a swapmeet. Warranty ? Support ?? System requirements ? (yeah I know its early days)

Ah well, At least it gives OSource hippes linux people the chance to fiddle with phones now I guess :p

Still, If there was a way to give it a go on my HTC touch without pillaging my WM6 installation, I'd give it a go :D

I have to admit though - what is annoying is when people compare the iphone vs windows mobile/palm OS/blackberry

the latter are business devices pure and simple - and are designed and marketed as such. the iphone has a much heavier multimedia focus than a business productivity one. Its a very clear distinction, though I dont know where android will slot in, probably somewhere in the middle as an all-rounder.

I dont think it will take the corporate types by storm any time soon though :p I got allof my $600 refunded for my phone as I claimed it as a business related expense... what's the benefit of a free OS when so many in the business world do exactly the same...?

mtfbwya

Still, If there was a way to give it a go on my HTC touch without pillaging my WM6 installation, I'd give it a go
The SDK has an emulator if you're really adamant about trying it.

Sure its open source...people are going to need to buy a phone anyways
Manufacturers won't have to pay for a proprietary OS like Windows Mobile, which leads to lower production costs, which leads to lower prices. Plus an open source platform means better 3rd party developer support (which Google's certainly doing a good job of) and more customization.

Warranty ? Support ??
It's not being made by some guy in his basement, Google and the phone's manufacturer will most likely provide support.

• 1 year later...

This beauty is mine now:

448px-HTC_magic_cropped.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Magic

I think it's really awesome so far, fast, responsive, cool. Beside the whole spectrum of Google apps there's (like always) a ton of useless apps and a bunch of cool ones, like a remote control for my MythTV frontend, a VNC client, Skype, etc. And it runs The Curse of Monkey Island via ScummVM. ^^

I dont see the big deal about android. Sure its open source...people are going to need to buy a phone anyways, its not like you can piece a cellie together from bits you pick up at a swapmeet. Warranty ? Support ?? System requirements ? (yeah I know its early days)

Because it's awesome? :xp:

It will revolutionize mobile phones as we know it!

^I am going to sue you!

jqrjbl.gif

^^What he said.

_EW_

android on mobile phones > your hate though so why don't you three go undress and finger **** one another in glee somewhere else

I always buy my phones unlocked(not always shadily either!!), as I switch carriers like I switch hats, depending on who is offering the best deal. I hate being locked into a contract for 3 years, to pay off something you dont want after 12 months.
At least here in Germany I can change my deal with vodafone like every three months so I can get the best conditions available for me.

all is good mon

Ah well, At least it gives OSource hippes linux people the chance to fiddle with phones now I guess :p
android is not Linux

I dont think it will take the corporate types by storm any time soon though :p I got allof my $600 refunded for my phone as I claimed it as a business related expense... what's the benefit of a free OS when so many in the business world do exactly the same...?
The benefit of open source is not that you don't have to pay money. Although I guess not every one on this planet has the gift of getting their phones paid with tax money...

At least here in Germany I can change my deal with vodafone like every three months so I can get the best conditions available for me.

but it's still vodafone you are stuck with. I guess it depends whether you want to fork out for an unlocked phone or sign up on a contract

Although I guess not every one on this planet has the gift of getting their phones paid with tax money...

lolz. you make it sound like its a bad thing ;)

Ive been keeping my eye on some unlocked HTC Magic units.. still a bit pricey IMO(rebate or not) for something I wont use that heavily. I was wondering if the the android element would make things comparatively cheaper... but it's no less expensive than an iphone or winMo device.

It will revolutionize mobile phones as we know it!

Explain how? It's just another option on the market like palm pre, nokia N, iphone and blackberry. Unfortunately, the phone game doesnt seem to be driven by as strong a competitive force, so it basically comes down to what OS you like for whatever reason, be it functional, political or aesthetic

mtfbwya

Explain how? It's just another option on the market like palm pre, nokia N, iphone and blackberry.

Yeah, I was kind of just kidding around.

I like the concept of Android but I don't like the look of the G1 phone. It's too bad because I'd really enjoy playing around with Android.

_EW_

but every single one of your threads is pure sex <3

but it's still vodafone you are stuck with. I guess it depends whether you want to fork out for an unlocked phone or sign up on a contract
I'm with vodafone for ten years now, and they served me well so far. ;

lolz. you make it sound like its a bad thing ;)
It is...because I can't. :p

Ive been keeping my eye on some unlocked HTC Magic units.. still a bit pricey IMO(rebate or not) for something I wont use that heavily. I was wondering if the the android element would make things comparatively cheaper... but it's no less expensive than an iphone or winMo device.
It fits my needs exactly, and I got it for 1 euro. I would pay like 300 bucks for the iPhone, quite the difference, eh. :)

It fits my needs exactly, and I got it for 1 euro. I would pay like 300 bucks for the iPhone, quite the difference, eh.

no zero buck plans there? bummer! All the 12 year old girls have them here for this reason for like pics of their homegirlz on myspace, like :D

android is not Linux

Im sure you know it its based on the Linux kernel. Hacked ROMS(from xda devs) even show you the penguin when it boots up :p Its just like saying Windows Mobile is not Windows. Sure you cant play Crysis on it, but is a phone optimised derivative of it, with some core similarities in the way it handles directories, registry, installations and such

i dont even remember making this thread put it back on the bottom of the pile

its seems Ray bumped it because he wanted to show us his phone, nothing wrong with that. IIRC I mentioned this phone in the news thread a couple of months ago IIRC, but its good to hear testimonials from fellow members. Its definitely reminded me to go back to xda devs and get the hacked ROM for my touch dual ;)

mtfbwya

Im sure you know it its based on the Linux kernel. Hacked ROMS(from xda devs) even show you the penguin when it boots up :p Its just like saying Windows Mobile is not Windows. Sure you cant play Crysis on it, but is a phone optimised derivative of it, with some core similarities in the way it handles directories, registry, installations and such

android_not_linux.png

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/02/an-introduction-to-google-android-for-developers.ars

The point is, it is a linux derivative, and your slide show has illustrated that in lovely detail. Thank you for googling ;)

I like the underlining though. Android PR peeps are obviously trying to get some ''coolness distance'' happenning from the penguin freaks :D Robots are cooler than penguins ;)

mtfbwya

Was going to get an iPhone but I just found out that this is now available in Canada since yesterday...I'll probably go for the HTC Dream though as I think it will be more practical for business stuff.

The G2 is supposedly coming out this summer and will also only be on T-mobile.

Alas, I will miss Android once again. However, it seems that motorola and a few other companies will begin using Android too - if a Verizon phone comes up that has Android, you can bet your ass I'll be getting it (as long as it's not ugly)....

_EW_

Something Ive noticed, on phones in general recently...so many of the phones coming out look big and clunky! Both the The HTC winmo and android models, the Omnia HD

You'd think as time slides along, things would be getting thin and sleek - the closest Ive seen to this in pda/phone market is the Toshiba TG01. (although it is quite big unless you have a clown sized hand IMO...bigger than an iphone)

toshiba-tg01-hands-on-smartphone-01.jpg

HTC/Samsung/Sony-Erricson etc needs to pull their finger out and stop making bricks..

mtfbwya

Archived