Home

Animation Issues

Wytchking

Next week onwards I've got alot more free time. So I wanted to create a thread of animation issues that need to be looked at, whether they are creating new animations, or replacing old. Here are some of my own:

Blocking Positions

Already in the works is a back block animation however really one thing that lets the look of saber duels in OJP down is the fact the blocks often aren't that near to the attack. The positions themselves are quite simple to create, they're really no more than a stance. This is more a coding issue, I have no idea how hard it is to add extra positions and transitions. If someone can code in new positions I can create animations for them.

Mishap Animations

This is my main focus at the moment so I don't really need to go into much detail. Currently the animations are multi-purpose and not designed for their use. One thing I would like to ask is if it would be possible to code seperate mishap animations, in that way allowing for more than one mishap adding to the overall look.

Swimming Animations

A fairly low priority at the moment seen as they are mostly unused however anyone who has seen the swimming animations will know they are rubbish (and thats being generous). To make these look better further transitions will need to be made.

Saber Transitions

Though Maxstate has done a very good job on the transitions he is only working with what he's got. Certain transitions are not perfect, with jumps between positions and attacks for example.

Ledge Grab

The current ledge grab animations are very static, and feel very unfinished. It would also be nice to add different get up animations i.e. Obi Wan Ep1 and new drop down animations (actually letting go of the ledge on purpose)

Kick

The current kick forward animation ha a strange hop in its otion that needs to be changed in the future

Force Effects

Currently being pushed, pulled or lightninged (if thats a word) looks alrigt at best. Push and pull just don't strike me as powerful or violent enough. In the films and books the charaters are flung across rooms however the current animation makes it look more like they tripped.

Lightninged characters seem very static for their plight. In Ep6 Luke writhes in agony. Ideally in the future I'd like to see this changed.

Anything else? As it stands the list is quite daunting by itself, especially as I and perhaps JackBaldy (though Maxstate, it wouldn't be that much of a step up for you to learn) are currently the only ones creating totally new animations. However little by little I hope to tick off at least the first two, and if the community is not dead by then, the rest.

Force Effects

Currently being pushed, pulled or lightninged (if thats a word) looks alrigt at best. Push and pull just don't strike me as powerful or violent enough. In the films and books the charaters are flung across rooms however the current animation makes it look more like they tripped.

Lightninged characters seem very static for their plight. In Ep6 Luke writhes in agony. Ideally in the future I'd like to see this changed.

I was thinking along these lines for the CW mod as well, actually.

In my opinion the animation is good enough, but the sound needs some work. I got a sound file somewhere that modifies push and pull sound effect to the one heard in Phantom Menace. During the duel of the fates, Darth Maul uses pull to open the gate to the generator room. Later he uses push on Kenobi that throws him off the generator pit. Especially the push, it really has a BANG! quality to it. You can watch in Youtube and see and hear that sequence of the movie. I do not have the link.

As I've said on MSN, your animations are very good. The only real comment I have is about the getting pushed anim you showed me and it's the same comment I gave you on msn; at the ends his hands and arms should slam into the floor.

The sounds rtemis is talking about have one weakness, which is the fact that at the end of the soundfile you can hear the body slam into the floor, which doesn't synchronise well with the game.

Hm, right, i heard it too when i accessed it from the main data. In the game Kenobi's fall was muffled by the slamming of the target itself. If the push doesn't seem suitable enough, at least we can at least use the pull sound. I don't hear anything that might indicate possible desynchronization. And I do have another push sound effect. It's less thunderous, but it certainly sounds much better than the whistling sound of the original push. I don't know where it is from, though, either from dooku or yoda. In any case, adding better sound effect is far easier than creating new animation. But i also agree that push and pull animation could be made much better.

In my opinion the animation is good enough, but the sound needs some work. I got a sound file somewhere that modifies push and pull sound effect to the one heard in Phantom Menace. During the duel of the fates, Darth Maul uses pull to open the gate to the generator room. Later he uses push on Kenobi that throws him off the generator pit. Especially the push, it really has a BANG! quality to it. You can watch in Youtube and see and hear that sequence of the movie. I do not have the link.

I personally feel the current animation isn't violent enough for what it is mean't to be but each to his own. I agree with the fact that the sound needs work, it again needs to feel like it has more power behind it.

As I've said on MSN, your animations are very good. The only real comment I have is about the getting pushed anim you showed me and it's the same comment I gave you on msn; at the ends his hands and arms should slam into the floor.

For the time being I'm going to leave it as is and come back to it later, once I've finished off more of the mishaps.

Rock on Wytchking! Your work is appreciated.

Happy to be of service :)

Archived