Home

Mass Effect

Commander Obi-Wan

Mass Effect has been released.

I'm sure many of you have heard of it. It was created by BioWare and it is an RPG. I've been highly awaiting this game since I heard of it last year. And I would be playing it if it wasn't for my corrupted Xbox 360. :indif: I do have a copy of it since I pre-ordered it.

Thoughts from those who have played it? Does it compare to Knights of the Old Republic?

Gametrailer's Video Review of Mass Effect

Also received a 9.4 rating from IGN and 8.5 from Gamespot

My brother is playing it right now, and from what I can see without playing it, the battle animation sucks, walking animation sucks, frame rate dives a lot, AI looks retarded, and there are all sorts of graphic bugs, think the cut scenes from Halo 2- only a little less. And a few of the action cutscenes I've seen, they're not really important but the camera sucks.

Edit: But the voice acting is bad ass and talking to people is a ton of fun.

The game is alright so far, I've only played about 2.5 hours so far but it feels like it has a lot of potential. But yeah, I wanna be nit-picky because I can, but it's constantly loading in textures slowly, exactly like Halo 2 but a little less extreme. The faces are always loaded, but the clothing often goes through 5 different levels of detail over 3 or 4 seconds before it totally loads... And people complained about the minor pop-ups in Assassin's Creed... geez.

If I could, I'd totally have sexual intercourse with this game.

I haven't encountered any of the glitches I've read about yet (like getting stuck in something or the AI getting stuck), but I did experience a disc read error. I'm pretty sure at this point, it's my 360 on its last breath. I'm just hoping it lasts until after Christmas, and until I can get my hands on a Falcon 360.

Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360.

I'm >5 hours in, and 100% hooked. I'm in desperate need of more more more. The story is brilliant, the voice acting is top of the line, the gameplay is fun and engaging, and I could really keep on going.

All of the little things really add up to something amazing. I'd type more but I need to go play more Mass Effect.

I'm with LeXX, any glitches I come across don't bother me at all, because everything else is just THAT good.

In fact, so far the only thing I don't love is driving the Mako. If the controls were more akin to the Tank or Warthog from Halo it would be completely amazing, but as is the thing is all over the place.

This game feels so gooood!

I just beat it. I think it was something like 36 hours for me. Doing everything I could. With the ending I'm sticking with, I can't wait for the sequel(s). I do plan to load a previous save to see what different endings I can get.

If anyone is interested, the ending I'm going with is:

NOTE: DO NOT FREAKING READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEAT THE GAME, PLAN TO PLAY THE GAME, OR DON'T WANT TO KNOW OTHER POSSIBLE ENDINGS THAN WHAT YOU MAY HAVE PICKED.

I told the fleet to hold position and concentrate on Sovereign, and the Council's ship was destroyed. In a sneaky move I didn't see coming, humans are taking over the council and I picked Anderson to be in charge. My Sheppard was pretty much a ruthless Renegade.

Other ending:

You save the Council and they allow a human on the Council. I picked Anderson.

I'll see if the other choices I make at the end make any difference.

Hmm... how do they plan to let you play as your Sheppard from ME1? I don't see anything special, and you can't keep playing after the credits.

I think I've spent 7 or so hours(have to check) before I got out of the Citadel. It's pretty damn awesome and gorgeous and sexy.

I did get physically stuck in one play though - I was walking on the bridge near the statue of the mass relay, when Shepard just got stuck for no apparent reason at all. Other than that, though, it's been peachy - well, except for the fact that a few of my team mates prefer to get in my way and die rather than, you know, shoot at all manner of assassins and ne'er-do-wells.

This would have to be the most amazing game made yet. The graphics are absolutely out of this world, so lifelike, so detailed. Superb voice acting, and it helps to have your character vocal as opposed to the mute Revan and the Exile were. Plus attitude helps as well. 'The council can kiss my ass' so says Jane Shepard. We need to have strong female protagonists like this. You can make a decent Revan and Exile to boot. And they finally got RPG action right and rather than doing turn based or KOTOR style combat made it all dependent on how good you are. Not being railroaded into being a Jedi helps tremendously as well, let me be the soldier for a change. All in all I don't think this is game of the year, oh no, this at the moment look like it'll be game of the decade.

Archived