Home

Just enjoying a cold....

MdKnightR

Never touched alcohol in my life, so I wouldn't know what tastes good. I avoid alcohol, drugs, and pretty much anything of the sort like the plague. Sounds great until you find out later in life that a medical condition killing you could have been avoided altogether by staying away from such things.

Besides, I'm content with slowly killing myself with just soda and lack of sleep at the moment.

Eat right, stay fit, avoid harmful chemicals, then one day get hit by a bus.

There's a difference between having a drink and being a alchoholic. I drink around once every 2 or 3 months. It is actually considered healthy to drink a glass of red wine with your dinner.

Eat right, stay fit, avoid harmful chemicals, then one day get hit by a bus.

Well, that bus will have nothing to do with what I put into my body outside of crushing it. If I have the chance to avoid said bus, or car, or mutated lizards who take over the world, then I may have dodged a few bullets along the way like lung, liver, brain, etc problems later in life. Doesn't mean I'm bullet proof, just that I'm taking less risks with the only body I have. My Grandfather died of heart and lung failure from his smoking. He quit 40 years ago. I take life lessons like that to heart. Although, I admit, my diet is not all that great, so that makes me somewhat of a hypocrite.

But, who knows. Maybe I'll go to the doctor next week and find I have cancer. Doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to go on a drinking/eating binge, smoke, or abuse my body in any other way. I still have my bizarre sense of pride in staying clean.

There's a difference between having a drink and being a alcoholic. I drink around once every 2 or 3 months. It is actually considered healthy to drink a glass of red wine with your dinner.

I see no appeal in it at all and never have. Zero. None. Any interest I had in it was extinguished in Middle/High School when most of my peers abused it heavily. Knew some people who would drink themselves into the hospital, or at least to the point of passing out in their room and/or getting really sick. It could be that I have no interest because my family has never shown much interest, seeing as both my parents only drink wine and it is scarce to non-existent at family parties.

I do understand that it can be used respectfully, and often is. But, I avoid things like this because I do not want it to become a habit, or an addiction, or something that ends up ruining me. Although, that can really apply to anything from food to computers. But even drinking casually has absolutely no appeal to me, as I could be drinking so many other things that kill me slower.

You do have a point on health benefits, though. But, from the studies I've read on alcohol leading to improved health, wines tend to be the only alcoholic drink that is really considered healthy on a daily basis. I really have no problem with wine when it is used respectfully, and find it nice on occasion. However, I do not consider wine to be in the same category as rum/beer/vodka/etc as silly as that sounds.

i don't drink hard stuff but maybe once or twice a month, and even then, its only one or two beers with a couple of friends. given that i just turned 21 about 6 months ago, i haven't experimented much with the massive selection of beers. the only one i've had that's pretty decent is a Sam Adams. the rest of the beers i've had (Bud, Bud Light, Miller, and Heineken) just don't taste all that great to me.

besides, i'm still in college, and i need something that will energize. so, tea ftw!! :)

....preferably Heineken beer straight out of the tap. On other occasions, Cola BB (popular drink over here, it's Cola with Genever, Holland Gin. The region I live in is actually famous for the stuff) or just a regular 'Cola.' My 'experiments' with alcohol tought me to stick with 1 type of beverage, and drink in a controlled way.

We can drink from the age of 16 over here. Seems logical when you can get your drivers license when turning 18. First you get to see the (desatrous?) results of alcohol, before thinking of the responsability of driving.

Might sound strange to bring this up, but the 21-year policy (and driving from the age of 16) stuff from the US just grinds my gears into oblivion. Every sane person would turn it around...

Ah mmmzzhhh , Beer ... :drool1:

Well , I can say I often looked to do deep in my glass .

Beer doesn't get me drunk anymore , just plain sick the day after , not nice .

So ... we jumped to Jenever ! :lol:

Ahum ... Well anywayz , those where the old days , now I tend just to go to the pub once or twice a month .

And I can easly go months without touching alcohol .

Allthough I like alcohol drinks ( mainly stronger kind ) , I can easly just let it drop.

Beer wise, I go for a local microbrew here in Montana that makes nice heavy dark beers that are delicious. But I really don't drink beer that often. If I'm going for alcohol, I go for whiskey either straight up or mixed with coke.

mmmmmmmm, Jack Daniels whiskey and coke. Drink of the gods.

Thankfully, I've never seen the object of drinking myself stupid, so a shot of whiskey every few days, or a few beers with friends every couple weeks is where I stand on liquor consumption.

Not that I'm 21 yet anyways but I'm not a drinker. Many of my friends are and I just don't see the fascination with getting ****-faced. I eat enough junk already without putting that in my system. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't drink when I turn 21.

Yeah, I'm not 21 yet either, and I am not going to drink when I do turn 21. With all of these 'stay-drug-free' programs in school, you make a pledge that you are not going to do drugs; and that is kinda a promise, and I don't break promises. Alcohol is considered a drug to me. Besides having alchohol all of the time is not good for your body, it overloads you. Just a word of advice. :)

I used to like Stella Artois, but now I find it bland. I used to love Yuengling Lager, but now it gives me wretched hangovers. I was big on Blue Moon and Celis Belgian Whites, but I'm kind of bored of Belgian Whites in general.

I think I'm moving towards hefeweizens...although, since it's winter, it may be time to bust out the cream and milk stouts! (Sam Adams Cream Stout + a brownie [non-magic variety] is a huuuuuuge win in the taste department. I'm completely not kidding)

Here's my SuperSixPak. Beat this.

Abbey L'effe - Belgian

Urquell - Pilsner

Smithwicks

Icheban - japanese

Grolsh - Holland

...and of course Guinness, Father of all stouts.

Aaah, the cascade... :drool1:

There are so many micro-brews it's ridiculous. Most of them are bad, some are very bad, but there's a few must trys if you're ever in Wisconsin.

Capitol Brewery - Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel

Leinenkugel - Shandy ale and the Summer Blonde are great.

Milwaukee itself has a quite few decent micros around. Great place to be if you like beer. Milwaukee hosts the largest music festival on the planet every summer. You should see the consumption, it's glorious.

I cannot believe so many of you drink your beer with a fork. I lean more to the lighter side of Beer preferring pale ales, lagers and light lagers. When it comes to bottled beer I tend to stick with Shiner Blonde or Shiner Light when they are available. If away from home I drink what the locals suggest.

I do understand that it can be used respectfully, and often is. But, I avoid things like this because I do not want it to become a habit, or an addiction, or something that ends up ruining me. Although, that can really apply to anything from food to computers. But even drinking casually has absolutely no appeal to me, as I could be drinking so many other things that kill me slower.
Everything in moderation is the key to most things in life. Having a father, uncle and aunt all being alcoholics gave me a special perspective on this as I never wanted to behave like them. I grew up with a family full of alcoholics and saw first hand how they can destroy a family. My first taste of death was my favorite cousin (18 year old at the time) drown after he flipped his truck into a ditch and was too drunk to remove his seat belt. Later someone close to me was killed by a drunk driver. I still do not blame the alcohol I blame the people that abused it. I drink and I sometimes go a little too far and venture into the drunken territory. What I try to do is regulate my mood when I drink. I don’t drink to forget, I don’t drink when I’m angry and I don’t drive when I drink. I mainly drink during football season and then spend the rest of the year getting back into shape.

Is it bad for me? Yes, but what kind of life would we have if we did not allow ourselves a few guilty pleasures.

I'll take an ice cold tea any day. :)
Always the best especially if lightly sweetened and made by someone else. Oh, if you have some good barbeque to go with it…:drool1:

Archived