Home

Attack Feats

Skye

Which attack feat is best?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which attack feat is best?

• Critical Strike, all the way!
    • I'll use Flurry on you if you choose option 1!
    • Both of you, shut up or I'll use Power Attack.
    • Meh. I use whichever I'm in the mood for.

I'd like to know which attack feats people use. I find that there is some disagreement on which is mathematically the best, and people sometimes just don't like the attack that mathematically works best. Which is most comfortable to use and why?

As a side note, does it bother anyone else that all you need to do for battle is hit your attack feat over and over? And if it is a boss, it seems all you do differently is use buffs and stims. Shouldn't there be a little more strategy involved?

Depends who you're facing. The power attack feats are utterly and completely worthless; they only add 10-12 extra damage at the master versions and have a penalty to hit. It makes them pointless to have compared to the flurry tier of feats, as by the time you're able to select master power attack you'll have weapons good enough to dish out well over 10-12 damage. Flurry may have a penalty to AC, but it does more damage and not having the attack penalty it's more likely to hit.

Critical strike isn't quite as likely to score massive damage, but two keen lightsabers + master speed + massive critical crystals + Juyo equals insane damage if the dice rolls high enough. (And given how many attacks per round that is you're fairly likely too. Even without critical strike that's still fairly likely to score a critical hit.)

Anyways, flurry works pretty well against weaker opponents where scoring maximum damage isn't needed. Critical strike is definitely the best option to employ against enemies with high HP though.

Critical Attack as a high level super-powerful character modded to be level 100

Dunno where you pulled that out of, level caps are hardcoded into both games.

As a side note, does it bother anyone else that all you need to do for battle is hit your attack feat over and over? And if it is a boss, it seems all you do differently is use buffs and stims. Shouldn't there be a little more strategy involved?

Well, KotOR isn't D&D. There's only so much strategy you can employ when there aren't really any spellcasters and PCs are given Force buff powers, medpacks and stims nearly all enemies are barred from using. That you tend to have much better equipment and the enemy AI contradicts the term 'intelligence' doesn't help to even the odds either.

It really depends on the situation. Attacks can vary when you take into account your own character level, the level of the feat you're using, your opponents HP, and any Force powers you have in effect at the time.

I never use power attack. The damage isn't really that much of an increase, and there's always the to-hit penalty. I usually go with flurry on the lower-HP opponents and critical strike on the higher, though I'll occasionally throw in a flurry on the big guys for an extra attack round. I'm usually able to take down most regular enemies in 1 or 2 attacks with flurry, especially when combined with Master Speed, and the extra critical threat range on critical strike can definitely come in handy when you're facing tougher opponents.

I've seen level cap workarounds, Emperor. Not sure if there are any with KotOR, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Flurry is my mainstay. I get too few feats to waste them on Critical Strike - it may be really good, but early on I don't have the equipment and the attacks to make it effective, and later on, it really doesn't matter since Master Flurry is absolutely devastating.

Flurry probly does the most damage but power attack hardly ever misses for me. To be honest I find PA works best in K1 and flurry works best in K2. Anybody else notice this? I dunno maybe my minds playing tricks on me.

Overall, flurry is probly the best so I guess it gets my vote. Although critical stike comes in handy in the harder (well the KOTOR standard of hard) battles like against Malak.

Flurry + master speed = uber damage

Keen weapon with keen upgrades and master critical strike does amazing amounts of damage. If you set it up right, you'll end up getting a critical strike on 9-20 (possibly7-20), or greater than half the time. Doing double damage that often will kill enemies very quickly. The key is setting your weapon up correctly to increase the critical threat range to take advantage of the critical strike.

Flurry all the way. And it's equivalent on ranged weapon: Rapid fire.

But I have seem some of you blasting the poor Power Attack. It's true that it may 'look' to miss more than normal, but it does work finely against well armored opponents, such as most mercenaries.

Keen weapon with keen upgrades and master critical strike does amazing amounts of damage.

So true. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, the Qixoni crystal can get your damage to destroy even a Krayt Dragon!

I used to go for flurry, but since when you have master speed, power attack adds 30+ damage while flurry still adds only one attack, I prefer power now (and my attack bonus usually seem to be high enough for the attack penalty not to matter too much)

I don't really like critical since it lowers your own defense and I just like the opponents missing me :-p

For Ranged its definitely Rapid Fire + Speed Buff.

For melee it is a tie between Critical and Flurry. Flurry is generally better.

On the side note you don't need the crit range to be low like 7-20. A 10+ ish is way more than enough. Remember, the attack has to count as a hit before any crit is factored in(and you get to score a hit in the confirm roll). Personally I think a 12+ish Crit range is good enough. Esp true if you use them against the bosses since they usually have higher AC.

But generally flurry does enough damage in good time against most foes barring a few meaty stuff and some boss fights.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived