Home

My tale of woe

Before I start my tale of woe, the box for me to write my post in is minuscule for some reason, so there's another bug to add to your list.

Right, now more about me. About two years ago now I bought SWBF2 and have been very impressed with it as a game. However, my game has been plagued with problem after problem (most of them long term ones).

Initially I had absolutely no problems with the game, after a few weeks though after playing multi-player my chat stopped working. Well, when I say stopped working i mean that it was working too much, this has been going on for around a year, after a few minutes of normal chat in a game the chat box automatically adds generic letters, numbers and symbols so that whatever I type is lost in a sea of crap. This is extremely annoying when you want to have fun and chat in a game. Please, if anyone knows how to fix this or has a similar problem say. I'm stating to spend more time on SWBF2 now and I want rid of these bugs.

I also had a spell when I wanted modded maps to play around with, I have now heard that if you do this the max you should get is 20? Well I unwittingly downloaded 37 modded maps. I also had to join a clan recently and change my version of 1.1 to 1.0, I uninstalled my game and reinstalled it and my addon folder has gone, god knows what else is gone. The modded maps are still accessible and I can still play then, but now their names have all changed to generic things that don't make sense. I wanted to get rid of them when I noticed some other problems, but now I'm not sure if I can. Anyone know how I can get rid of these?

So, after reinstalling it I started playing again, and now everytime a map ends on the multi-player server and I think in instant action the whole of my swbf2 closes for no reason. Can you imagine how frustrating that is when you want to join a clan war, etc. it ends and then having to reload the whole thing again to carry it on? This is really bad, please help me with this...

Now finally, probably as a result of all the modded maps I added (my fault I know), etc. my game is absolutely huge. I am sure you guys are aware a very big program is about 1 GB, often you can get very big games that can use up to 4 GB's of space. But oh know! Not my disabled little program, it's nearly 14GB's big now! The size of about 14 massive programs! That's mental, now I have a lot of space, so that's not so much of a worry now, but in the future it could be a nuisance, plus it doesn't look healthy. Oh and the logo for it has gone from there when I look on my remove programs thing. Now I think that's it. Please help guys, you're my last hope! (excuse the pun)

- {97th}Blackbird[RSF]

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.. you got quite a list there.

Why wouldn't you play the game multiplayer with the patch? The patch gets rid of some multiplayer issues. You should get your clan to patch up.

In regards to your other point of mod maps.. Mod maps don't work in 1.0. The max amount of maps you can have is 56 I think.. and GameToast got around that with their conversion pack by putting folders within another folder. Some mod maps change your originally installed maps, and some mods change your originally installed SWBF2 game files. That alone would give you multiplayer issues if a mod has changed the version of a shipped map, and the server is running the "shipped" version. The only way to correct this is to uninstall SWBF2 COMPLETELY. Meaning after uninstallation, navigate to C:Program Files/Lucas Arts/Star Wars BattlefrontII and delete whatever is left after uninstalation. This is the only way to make sure EVERYTHING is gone. Then reinstall your game.. hopefully with the patch :)

The chat gibberish might be a graphic problem, check to make sure your graphic drivers are updated.

14G is a lot. I have a lot of mod maps too and it doesn't come close to 14G. You may have double installations in your gamedata folders because some mod maps can't find the GameData folder when installing so you get an installation where it shouldn't be (IE: Gamedata/gamedata/addon).

{97th}.. do you have a forum for your clan?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice!

Clan was patched up... but patched down again as tehre were more clans running on V 1.0.

Some people do have servers with modded maps up on V 1.0 though... maybe they have the version picker which might fix that? I dunno...

I'll try uninstalling it completely now. Thanks for the tip.

As for duplicate files... I may well have some, but my addon folder has disappeared. All that's left in my second gamedata folder is just Battlefront2 as an application that you can open, no other folders...

And yes, {97th} has a forum, but aren't using it at the mo, use the geustbook instead, may I ask why?

Finally, I'll end with some good news :). Chatbug is kind of fixed, whenever it now starts adding those extra letters, like when sometimes sprint, or roll or strafe left/right sticks, you jus keep pressing the controls for those functions and you stop rolling, etc. Its the same with my chatbug, if I keep hitting whichever keys are the culprit it stops for a bit longer. Annoyingly it does kick in many times each map now, but at least I can fix it! Woop!

Again, just bought a new copy of the game, is there any advice people can give meas to how I can get the most from it, and keep it safe from bugs? Should I download version pickers, etc.?

Thanks for those that have taken the time to read and respond to my problems, much appreciated :p

Archived