Home

Dr Who - 2008 (Warning: spoilers ahead!)

Aash Li

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't stand Capt. Jack. It was alright at first, but I feel that Torchwood isn't doing the franchise many favours.

At first I looked forward to an 'adult' version - little did I know that 'adult' to RTD actually meant rampant homosexuality :confused: .

And must they keep using the fact that he can't die as an escape mechanism when they make a mess of the story?

This is RTD, remember?

This is RTD, remember?

Good point. It just gets me that that the only way they can make it more 'edgy'. :lol:

And I'd really love to have an earth based, modern time period episode of Dr Who or Torchwood that isn't in Cardiff...

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Cardiff - but even if there is a rift, why not have episodes elsewhere? They only ever go elsewhere for the time travel episodes. And I realise it isn't always Cardiff, but it always pops up. :(

Torchwood is based in Cardiff. The story takes place in Cardiff. Wanting it to take place somewhere else is like wishing they did more episodes of CSI in places other than Las Vegas, or more episodes of Law and Order outside of New York. As for Doctor Who, they don't exactly have a large travelling budget. They often have to pretend that bits of Cardiff are actually London. It's hard to make Cardiff look like anything else, really.

Torchwood is based in Cardiff. The story takes place in Cardiff. Wanting it to take place somewhere else is like wishing they did more episodes of CSI in places other than Las Vegas, or more episodes of Law and Order outside of New York. As for Doctor Who, they don't exactly have a large travelling budget. They often have to pretend that bits of Cardiff are actually London. It's hard to make Cardiff look like anything else, really.

They have a ridiculous budget - they could do it if they wanted to (and if they stopped wasting money on ridiculously bad-looking CGI monsters...).

I know that Torchwood is set in Cardiff, but maybe just the occasional plot device - such as the alien escapes cardiff, maybe even the country. They even mentioned it in the 'Master' trilogy last year... 'Don't bother calling torchwood, they're in the himalayas...'

I guess i'm just whining too much... :lol: I love the series, especially the old ones.

ah well, at least UNIT will make a proper appearance this season :lol:

What about the countrycide? :p

That torchwood ep was freaky lol.

@ Astor

Not only do they film a lot in cardiff. They make most sets in Cardiff. It's an obsession, once u hear welsh accents u want Cardiff! I have to admit Rhys in torchwood is annoying with his accent...

Anyway yes, they made the ood ship set and cardiff, utopia in cardiff, the made the rift and cardiff and omfg for all we know there ancestors founded cardiff :lol:

Oh and abut the master sending torchwood on a wild goose chase. I was gutted when series 2 started. I wanted to see their reactions :p

lolz... I only got into modern Dr Who because of Torcwhood!! Before that I was too proud a old school DW fan to want to throw in with you young rapscallions and your "season 1 and 2" (still makes me laugh)

Someone told me, if you want to see a bit more Capn Jack, check out the new series....so I did :)

Torchwood's ratings in UK/US are ensuring it will make an S3 at least, and even Sarah Jane Adventures got a second season. I know its a kids show, but I didnt mind it > it's sarah jane after all !!

I have nothing but respect for RTD....if it wasnt for him, DW would still be in the same awful limbo it was in the 90s... I wonder if any of you whiney sods can remember back that far! :) It was terrible knowing this great ongoing idea/show was out there and no one was doing anything about it...

It's better that the BBC and RTD re-ignited the DW flame... and brought it back to the UK. Did we really want another crap US telemovie with Eric Roberts as the master?? answer: NO

mtfbwya

Yeah but atleast the series is more enjoyable... did you ever see the American tv-movies of the DW? They were bad... really bad.

There was only one TV Movie. It may have had its flaws, but it was still Doctor Who.

Russell's televisual excretions are not.

And no, actually, Kaine, any halfway-decent writer/producer could have done it. :)

I have nothing but respect for RTD....if it wasnt for him, DW would still be in the same awful limbo it was in the 90s... I wonder if any of you whiney sods can remember back that far! :)

Not me. I've only seen the new series, and I nothing bad to say about it. :)

Astro has a point... Better RTD than some American slop-artist butchering the series. >.> And considering what American tv has been like lately... I shudder to think what DW would have been like.

Hey! Sure, 98% of American shows are either "reality" or mindless crime dramas. But there's still that good 2%! :p

It was actually Torchwood that pulled me through those dark hours during the writers strike--and a few cable shows that weren't affected.

Because - regardless of the quality of it - it is still billed as Doctor Who.

As The Doctor sed, if u dont watch/like this then dont post about it! It is a good series and since when do you have the right to judge/criticise RTD??

@Torchwood (related anyway)

Two of the torchwood team will die and get replaced in season 3 by Martha Jones and Mickey Smith. Howver, who is heading for the chopping board, I will not say

@ Doctor Who

Saturday 5th April at 18:20/6:20pm on BBC1 in UK. I dn't know about other countries though. RTD prmises this to be the best series. The series will start off with the episode Partners in Crime.

I think the new series looks really good and the monsters look gr8. I think it's better sorting out good CGI monsters than good locations. Hey, do we want plastic flippin Yetis back?

Well, he has every right to criticise. I just think it's getting really old, hearing in every post how his scripts are all cluster****ed all the time. Most TV these days is.

Care to post some kind of reference for that Torchwood 'spoiler? As far as I'm aware, Series III is still in the pre-planning stages. It hasn't even been officially comissioned yet, pending the ratings for Series II.

yes mine, but noone uses it. and they hav actually sed before they want to find the perfect time to announce it. They will be doing it tho. I aint got source coz i read on a friends comp and frgot URL. I wasnt too chuffed after findin 'it' out and what these certain things are replaced with.

The members I want this particular thing to happen to is

Ianto (to see jacks reaction) and believe it or not Toshiko. If Gwen does die ill stop watching it. I saying all this crud coz i dont wanna hint...G w e n...lol. I know one person but not the other. Although I think they might destroy Gwen coz of how sad it would be and I think u might of seen wat Rhys sed as a hint, I did anyway. (he sed when he saw Tosh "This is gonna be you this init") I thought that as a hint but I can say the one i know isnt Gwen. Seriously tho i am ded curious bout Gwen.

:lol: Speaking of torchwood...I actually missed Ianto's 'flashbak' onwards! Im watching BBCiplayer as we type. I do know about John (the guy who has his head stuck up his ass too much) to be honest tho I think he could of been a gr8 team member...he would of brought more funny scenes and actions in. James Marsters is pretty good...

btw people I forgot to mention...does anyone remember time crash is also stolen? Years ago they did the same thing when the second doctor, first doctor and third collided.

Archived