Home

Dr Who - 2008 (Warning: spoilers ahead!)

Aash Li

My theory:

The doctor does regenerate into someone else. I'm thinking that woman from that library, the one from the future. But the doctor from rose's verse comes through, our doctor dies and he takes female doctor's place. Sounds crap i know, but i don't think they would have played his regeneration effects unless he wasn't going to regenerate.

Eitherway, it was a really good episode and it opens a tiny little door that...

means the time-war was not as fixed as the Doctor thought.

I doubt that. River Song is not a future incarnation of the Doctor, but a future companion of the Doctor. Maybe they're just saying that David Tennant is coming back in 2009 and 2010 to make his departure now more of a shock.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marius, it wasn't Dalek weapons that killed the Time Lords in the end. We don't really know what ultimately ended the War, other than the Doctor did it, and it took out Gallifrey at the same time. My guess is he turned the Eye of Harmony into a White Hole, and it consumed both Gallifrey and the Dalek fleet.

What I want to know, is how did the Time War become "Timelocked", as the Doctor put it. Did he do it himself? Did a higher power, such as the Guardians, seal it into history? Or was the raw temporal energy generated by the war simply too much for the Universe to bear, and the event became to immersed in that energy that it became near-impossible to penetrate?

I'll bet it has something to do with emotion. With love, or compassion, or desperation, or something. It's corny enough for 21st century TV, and it would explain why Caan was able to do it - the last of his kind, programmed to think creatively, he was bound to go mad and form emotional patterns of thought. His hate for the Doctor, or his fear of the extinction of his race, were enough to get him through the barrier. The Doctor would easily be compassionate and loving enough to make it through it as well, possibly even un-scathed.

As for the Doctor's "regeneration", it is possible that Tennant and the BBC have both been intentionally misleading, though I'd think something like that would have leaked - after all, the BBC announced that Eccleston had only intended to do a single season long before he would have liked. That's part of the reason he refused to do the Christmas Invasion, as I recall. I know Tate said something about Tennant leaving at the end of the Series, but that was quickly quashed by both Tennant and the BBC.

We would have heard by now if someone else had signed onto the roll for sure. Stuff like this can't be kept quite for long. It would have been leaked by a disgruntled/greedy member of the crew - I'm sure "magazines" like the Sun would pay good money for such info on such a high-profile show as Doctor Who.

My guess is he turned the Eye of Harmony into a White Hole, and it consumed both Gallifrey and the Dalek fleet.

It might just be me, but don't you mean BLACK hole ? :D. I thought at first the time war was all with hartnell, but then i saw davros and the daleks and time lords battlin in a tom baker episode - so my question is when did the time war end? What series, what doctor?

It might just be me, but don't you mean BLACK hole ? :D. I thought at first the time war was all with hartnell, but then i saw davros and the daleks and time lords battlin in a tom baker episode - so my question is when did the time war end? What series, what doctor?

The Time War took place offscreen with McGann's Doctor, and was probably the cause of his regeneration into Eccleston. However, Davies has stated that Genesis of the Daleks, which involved Tom Baker's Doctor, was the first strike by the Time Lords in the War.

Don't assume. I did in fact mean a white hole - the Eye of Harmony is already a black hole. ;)

The Osterhaagen key (I think that's how it's spelled)?

General Sanchez (the guy that said Ooman instead of Human) said it is vital for Humanity's survival. So maybe some terraforming process? Or maybe a more conventional device, perhaps controlling the earth's nuclear arsenal. (Possible, after the Sontaran Invasion).

But really, I don't think anyone will know until they tell us.

i think the close up of the doctor's hand in the jar was significant, i think he's going to regenerate but stay as David Tennant because somehow the hand will interfere with the process and he keeps his DNA or something.

also when his daughter, Jenny, regerated, she kept her appearance... so it must be doable.

really he has to stay as DT otherwise River Song wouldn't recognise him... same goes for Queen Elizabeth, who recognises him in Shakespeare's Code, eventhough he hasn't met her yet.

i can't help thinking donna is a timelord or something... Romana maybe? they keep hinting that there's something special about her.

there's also rumour that the master makes an appereance... the theory is the master's ring, picked up at the end of 'last of the timelords', contained his DNA or something similar to the chameleon arch he so can be resurrected. when the dalek Caan says "the dark lord is coming" he could have been referring to the master, not the doctor. also when the doctor says that someone has tried to move the earth before, he could be referring to episode 'The Mysterious Planet' where the master moves it and renames it.

would be great is the master does come back and he and the doctor team up to defeat the daleks.

i think the close up of the doctor's hand in the jar was significant, i think he's going to regenerate but stay as David Tennant because somehow the hand will interfere with the process and he keeps his DNA or something.

I was thinking the same thing, re-watching it with a friend.

also when his daughter, Jenny, regerated, she kept her appearance... so it must be doable.

That wasn't regeneration, I believe that was a side-effect from the terra-forming device featured in the episode. The effect used was nothing like the one used for regeneration, really.

really he has to stay as DT otherwise River Song wouldn't recognise him... same goes for Queen Elizabeth, who recognises him in Shakespeare's Code, eventhough he hasn't met her yet.

Someone's been reading Wikipedia. :p What people fail to realise is that Time is in flux - in the words of the 9th Doctor:

Time is in flux - your cozy little world could be re-written like that.

That means that the events foreshadowed by Queen Elizabeth I and River Song could simply be re-written.

i can't help thinking donna is a timelord or something... Romana maybe? they keep hinting that there's something special about her.

Something special about her, sure, but I don't think she'll be a Time Lady or anything. She has a human mother and grandfather - two people right there who have known her as a human since birth. Unless you're trying to tell us that Sylvia is the Rani and Gramps is Bourossa. :xp:

there's also rumour that the master makes an appereance... the theory is the master's ring, picked up at the end of 'last of the timelords', contained his DNA or something similar to the chameleon arch he so can be resurrected. when the dalek Caan says "the dark lord is coming" he could have been referring to the master, not the doctor. also when the doctor says that someone has tried to move the earth before, he could be referring to episode 'The Mysterious Planet' where the master moves it and renames it.

While I can see the Master being brought back alongside the Daleks, I think the reference to Earth being moved before is more in reference to when the Daleks had a similar plan in The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Though the dual reference is something I hadn't noticed myself.

would be great is the master does come back and he and the doctor team up to defeat the daleks.

Yes, 't'would be great. As long as they don't have the Master acting like a pre-pubescent bully on a power trip. -_-

Something special about her, sure, but I don't think she'll be a Time Lady or anything. She has a human mother and grandfather - two people right there who have known her as a human since birth. Unless you're trying to tell us that Sylvia is the Rani and Gramps is Bourossa.

I reckon the something special involves the something on her back (I remember it still being there and being pointed out when she was on the Shadow Proclamation space station)

If the master was coming back in ep13, I think we would have an inkling of it ;)

The key is the key. Mark my words! ;) They wouldnt draw such dramatic focus to it, without it being a major plot device... [/recalls Martha's reaction to the key]

mtfbwya

I reckon the something special involves the something on her back (I remember it still being there and being pointed out when she was on the Shadow Proclamation space station)

I believe the line was "You had something on your back". Past tense.

That means that the events foreshadowed by Queen Elizabeth I and River Song could simply be re-written.

while thats true, i doubt steven moffat would have introduced her, only for it to be discarded a few episodes later.

Something special about her, sure, but I don't think she'll be a Time Lady or anything. She has a human mother and grandfather - two people right there who have known her as a human since birth. Unless you're trying to tell us that Sylvia is the Rani and Gramps is Bourossa. :xp:

who says they are her biological mother & Grandpa?... i mean, neither of them of ginger for starters :D

Originally Posted by steven

I reckon the something special involves the something on her back

there's more to it than that i think. at the end of 'turn left' the fortune teller says that Donna is 'so strong' and the Shadow Proclamation tell her that she's 'something new' and River Song knew something very important about her. ok maybe not a timelord... i think whatever it is will play a big part in the finale.

while thats true, i doubt steven moffat would have introduced her, only for it to be discarded a few episodes later.

You never know. That little four letter word is a great loophole for retconing pretty much anything.

who says they are her biological mother & Grandpa?... i mean, neither of them of ginger for starters :D

We'd have heard mention of something if she were adopted or something. Besides, as I recall, her father was ginger. And if not, it's possible her grandmother was.

i think whatever it is will play a big part in the finale.

That's easy enough to answer, is Cathy Tate signed on to do 2009?

Answer: Not a spoiler per se, just for dramatic effect :D

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
No >>>> Hence it is unlikely she will walk happily off into the sunset given all the grave looks and comments she has gotten

When nerdpesculation and showbiz facts collide, beautiful things happen ;)

Speaking of nerdspeculation:

As for that mysterious key, it has me quite intrigued....there are a few theories buzzing around.

*The key "unlocks" the Time War. The Doctor did mention the Time war was "Time Locked" this specifically in that ep. That would certainly open a can of worms, wouldnt it ;)

*Apparently, "Osterhagen" means 'burning man' >>> though Im not sure what language this is in! (Definitely not German : "Osterhagen">> means "hedge" or "eastern grove" ; Or separating the words... "Oster":Easter "Hagen":"The man from the fenced in land" >>easter is synonymous with resurrection of course)

ie. when the doc is regenerating he does look like he's on fire. Maybe the key, used with the Tardis can help prevent/reverse the process?? OR, last we saw the master, his body had been burnt... maybe this key helps him come back >>>Martha freaked out when given the key, this suggests that the ramifications of doing it are potentially quite dire.... this would support the 'unlock the Time War' or 'bring the master back' theories moreso

*Osterhagen is an anagram of "Earths Gone"... namely, it was created for this very set of circumstances

So, what is its meaning?? Place your bets!! Regeneration reverser is a sensible option, but unlocking the time war would be an awesome cliffhanger ;)

The Key is the key ! :p

osterhagen_key.jpg

mtfbwya

I hope this doesn't anger the Rose fans, but I have a possible theory about the finale.

I watched 'Stolen Earth' again last night, and struck upon something:

everlasting death for the most faithful companion

And then I thought that it couldn't be Donna. She's barely known the Doctor, she's a friend, and she'd do anything for him, but Rose is different. Donna may die, yes, but who's to say Rose doesn't as well?

She's travelled across parallel universes to get to the doctor, and searched for him across the stars. That seems pretty damn faithful, doesn't it?

As I say, it's just a theory, and a wild one at that, but we won't know till tomorrow...

Yes, right. 'Course I will. Just let me... go get you the key.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but could he possibly be referring to the Key given to Martha? Maybe he knows something we don't yet.

Also, I could have misheard in my half-asleep state, but re-watching the episode, I believe he says, and I quote:

His death is coming... I can see it... everlasting death for the most faithful companion...

His? Which would make it Jack. Which makes sense, since he spent a century waiting for him.

..His? Which would make it Jack. Which makes sense, since he spent a century waiting for him.

Maybe Jack gets his mortality back? Its unlikely Jack will be done away with, given his continuing appearances as Face of Boe in the future, and tha fact that Barrowman is signed on to the Torchwood 5 parter next year :)

mtfbwya

Well, the Face of Boe bit can be explained by the fact that Time is in flux...

If there were no Face of Boe, wouldnt that also have huge ramifications for New Earth (Gridlock)....those poor little kittens, perpetually stuck in traffic!

mtfbwya

Archived