Home

Dr Who - 2008 (Warning: spoilers ahead!)

Aash Li

According to the bookies :

WILLIAM HILL ODDS ON NEXT DOCTOR (30th Oct 2008)

5/2 David Morrissey

3/1 Patterson Joseph

6/1 James McAvoy

7/1 James Nesbitt, Robert Carlyle

8/1 John Simm, Rhys Ifans

12/1 Anthony Head

14/1 Alan Davies, Jason Statham

16/1 Nigel Harman, Bill Nighy

25/1 Daniel Radcliffe, Burn Gorman

33/1 Stephen Fry, John Barrowman

20/1 Next Doctor To Be Female

50/1 Christopher Eccleston

Personally, I think it'll probably be Morrissey, but my preference would be Nighy.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the bookies :

WILLIAM HILL ODDS ON NEXT DOCTOR (30th Oct 2008)

5/2 David Morrissey

3/1 Patterson Joseph

6/1 James McAvoy

7/1 James Nesbitt, Robert Carlyle

8/1 John Simm, Rhys Ifans

12/1 Anthony Head

14/1 Alan Davies, Jason Statham

16/1 Nigel Harman, Bill Nighy

25/1 Daniel Radcliffe, Burn Gorman

33/1 Stephen Fry, John Barrowman

20/1 Next Doctor To Be Female

50/1 Christopher Eccleston

Personally, I think it'll probably be Morrissey, but my preference would be Nighy.

I keep seeing names of people who have already played characters on the show. I guess it'd be okay if their previous role was a relatively minor one, but John Simm and John Barrowman?

Not to mention Eccleston. I can't believe he's even suspected, considering not only his reasons for leaving but the tiff he had with the BBC over it being announced before he wanted. I can't see him going back to the roll. Besides, back-pedal regeneration seems like a dumb idea, in my opinion.

I'd be most content with Nighy, myself. A return to the old-style Doctor would be great: a more calm, gentle natured brilliance as opposed to the manic excitement of Tennant - don't get me wrong, I loved Tennant, sure, but a return to a classic style is more than welcome, in my book.

If Daniel Radcliffe is made the next Doctor, I will sue the BBC for defamation of character. I don't care if it's not my character or not. Radcliffe would be an insult to the role and the series itself.

I'd be most content with Nighy, myself. A return to the old-style Doctor would be great: a more calm, gentle natured brilliance as opposed to the manic excitement of Tennant

I'd be happy with Nighy. At least with him, they might finally get rid of the whole idea of every companion in the new series (apart from Donna) wanting his Time Lord manliness :)

A lot of those bookie choices are just fanboy fantasies. Pay them no mind ;)

Lolz, I didnt realise the David Morissey listed was a fellow star of Blackpool.. If I had to choose between him, Nighy and Joseph, I'd go for Morissey last. Nighy and Joseph have something distinctive and instantly recognisable about them. They have also played numerous characters with an odd streak in them. If anything, that has become their trademark, which is why theyve appeared in more comedies than high dramas

who knows... My 10p is on Joseph. It'd also make the next series incredibly popular with da ladiez :D Also, Im sure many of you have noticed that the actors chosen to be the Doctor have been getting progressively more youthful as the character has gotten older/show has progressed, so him jumping back to being a old fart goes against that trend. DW has a massive youth fanbase now, theyd have a much easier time connecting with a spritely person than an oddball older person[/imo]

go PJ !

mtfbwya

I don't know about you guys, but i'm not a big fan of the producers suggesting actors who've already been in the series - it's just a bit... odd.

While i'm sure a timelord could possibly have the same appearance as someone he's met, it just seems a bit... lazy? Maybe that's not the right word, but i'd much rather they use someone who's not had an association with the show (or at least, not in the past 10 years or whatever)

Hopefully Tennant will change his mind - He loves doing the show - AND -they would be dumb to do that because of a certain someone who recognised him...*points at watserface the archeologist from The silence in the library/forest of the dead duo*

They may or may not do some kind of lame story to do a back-pedal regeneration - which would suck...the whole doctordonna thing was funny but it was just crap for the story.

If was male: I would love to give burn gorman a try (Owen from torchwood)

If was Female: I have no idea...no actresses come to my mind that I think will do the part justice..

I'm sick of explaining to people that just because River Song recognised him doesn't mean he has to stay in that body until he meets her. Time is in flux. History can be re-written. It was explained in the very same episode we first see River Song in, not to mention multiple times before that.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really tell if i'm gonig to like that new doctor or not. I'll give him chance to see him in the full episode. I know one thing for sure though, i'm gonna miss Tennant's face every time he steps out of the Tardis. In that trailer then, it was priceless. Damn he loves time-travelling.

trailer was cool - DT's doc sure says 'what' alot :p But this Morissey character.. hmmm - I know its a small clip but even in that Morissey manages to rub off as a pompous git. Of course he could just be someone pretending to be the Doc too ;) Im pretty sure Morisseys name appeared on the bookies' lists because people found out he was playing this character in the chrissy special..

Im still hoping Paterson Joseph gets the *real* gig.

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about how Morrissey's Doctor should have recognised Tennant's at first, but then I realised, if he really is the Eleventh Doctor, he probably remembers this encounter from the Tenth Doctor's perspective, and is only acting like that because that's how he remembers his future (now present) self. Throw in the wibbly-wobbly timey wimey line, and it all makes sense. Although, The Next Doctor isn't written by Steven Moffat, so that's probably not the case.

Xmas special not far away... all will be revealed!

Im just not ready for another doctor that in 10 seconds managed to give off a Colin Baker-esque stink :( Tennant re-invigorated the franchise with something new and fresh. Do we really need someone to wind the clock back to 1985 and the death throes of the original series..

reading back over this thread... wasnt Tennant confirmed to be doing the specials that will be aired in 2009(as there will be a series hiatus). Surely then means this cant be the new doctor ?!! Like they did with Cathy Tate, perhaps the writers are testing a possible future character. Cathy Tate only came back after her character was well received in the Xmas special... If this is a 'future' Doctor, and people dont like him, he wont come back and can be explained away with some chicanery about timelines and future bing in flux :p

ah well, time will tell.. (no pun intended!)

mtfbwya

Archived