Home

Dr Who - 2008 (Warning: spoilers ahead!)

Aash Li

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXTERMINIEREN! EXTERMINIEREN!

I really liked the finale. Some parts could have been better - I would have liked a bit more interaction between Martha and Rose, given Rose's hissy fits about Martha last week, but it was very nice to see Davros and Sarah Jane's reunion.

*As this thread operates under a spoiler warning banner, I am NOT using spoiler tags...If you desperately do not want to be spoiled...why are you in here....go see the ep and come back!!

I loved the final ep. I was glad the Osterhagen key didnt unlock the Time War! Leave it to the Germans to create such a thing :(

The clone doc...well, that was a surprise indeed and a bonus for Rose...lolz.

Im glad Donna didnt have to 'physically' die, and she was a smidge annoying as a hyper intelligent semi-Time Lord.

All in all, nicely tied up, Dalek Caan may not be actually dead, leaving the possibility open for a Dalek return if need be ;)

The last scenes were a bit sad, the doc is a lonely soul indeed....until next Christmas anyway :p (but we know he has River Song ahead)

It was good to see they didnt hide who the next baddies were in Xmas...I think its had been leaked well enough, so they didnt bother :p

No more DW till Xmas now, what are we to do !!

mtfbwya

Very smooth. ;)

lolz, RTD wrote it, not me. I liked the dude who didnt want his name to go down with it ;)

in any event, it wasnt used...ganked by the Transmat ;)

It was a great ep, but the more you ponder, it does parallel the 2005 season ender in some ways.. namely, Docs companion gets posessed by that golden sprinkly stuff and saves the day ;)

Now, the hand: !!

*Did hand prevent/absorb or reflect it ?? Can the hand be used again!??

It melded doc and donna and created the hybrid doc... so what if "The Doctors Daughter" happened to be there ??? Apart from being a weird form of incest, it would surely result in a *pure* NEW timelord ! Surely!!

Either way, RTD has created a way for Tennant to stick around for a while yet, and possible even be used to create other TLs.

Interestingly enough....we can only wonder...is the Doctor that ends up with River Song the original or a copy? (He did have the TARDIS, so we would assume he was the original......)

Final thought: Hybrid doc seemed quite content with his fate, stuck with Rose and her mum... I have a terrible image of him weighing 120kg, sittin around at home eatin parallel universe fish n chips :(

mtfbwya

Now, the hand: !!

*Did hand prevent/absorb or reflect it ?? Can the hand be used again!??

The hand grew into the other Doctor, who's off in the parallel 'verse. ;)

In any case, that episode was...well, it's the best since Forest of the Dead. I have a few minor quibbles, but I'm like that. Very good, I say. Much better than last series' finale.

Oh, and I must say this now. That wave crossed through every single possible universe, killing all Daleks everywhere. They better not come back, you hear! :xp:

The episode was ok, but a bit too cheesy for my taste.

The bit when they "towed the earth" had me thinking "WTF!"

A bit naff... :p

But how else are you going to get a planet back to it's original position without a transmat device? :lol:

Interestingly enough....we can only wonder...is the Doctor that ends up with River Song the original or a copy? (He did have the TARDIS, so we would assume he was the original......)

We could assume he was the original, but in SitL, River told him that he looked different. Time Lords don't visibly age though do they? And the tenth still hasn't regenerated, so it's still possible.

I believe Time Lords do visibly age, just not as rapidly as humans. We've never seen an incarnation of the Doctor long enough to view any kind of aging process.

What people seem to be forgetting, though, is that just because River Song says she had met the Doctor does not mean she ever will in the Doctor's personal future. Time is in flux. We may very well never see River Song ever again.

lolz...another thing that was sortve obvious is that it looks like good ole Capn Jack has found soem replacements for Owen and Toshiko ;) I loved the CapN's "you dont want to know what Im thinking" line when everyone realised there were now 3 Timelords(at least temporarily anyway) :D CapN Jack is so cool[/iMO]

mtfbwya

i was right about Donna being a timelord... if only temporary :p

What people seem to be forgetting, though, is that just because River Song says she had met the Doctor does not mean she ever will in the Doctor's personal future. Time is in flux. We may very well never see River Song ever again.

it may be flux as you keep saying, but there seems to be an underlining sense of fate and destiny, prophecies and fortune telling. in the Pompeii episode the doctor says that as well as the time thats in flux, there are fixed points of time that can't be changed.

during the whole fotd episode there was talk of spoilers and the diary at the end the doctor asked donna if she wanted to take a peek at the end.

then there's Dalek Caan, the face of boe, the unlobotomised ood and all the others that seem to know the future.

we might not see River Song again, they might just put down as something that happens off-screen, in between series... especially seeing as we know how her story ends.

we might not see River Song again, they might just put down as something that happens off-screen, in between series... especially seeing as we know how her story ends.

If you ask me, my money's on her being the "special returning guest star" in the charity special next week. That or either a former companion or previous doctor. Also, did anyone else see the similarities between the Other Doctor's actions against the daleks and the Eighth (or Ninth, we really don't know) Doctor's actions against them offscreen in the Time War?

Also, did anyone else see the similarities between the Other Doctor's actions against the daleks and the Eighth (or Ninth, we really don't know) Doctor's actions against them offscreen in the Time War?

That would seem to have been the point. The proper Doctor said that the duplicate was born of war, full of rage and hate - much like him, when he first met Rose. And she fixed him.

A man is the sum of his memories, you know - a Time Lord even more so.

But if he has all the proper Doctor's memories - wouldn't he remember everything he did with Rose and Martha, and be better for it, just like the man he came from? Or perhaps they're more like memories one has of stories they're told as a child. They happened, sure, but to someone else.

it may be flux as you keep saying, but there seems to be an underlining sense of fate and destiny, prophecies and fortune telling. in the Pompeii episode the doctor says that as well as the time thats in flux, there are fixed points of time that can't be changed.

I gathered that fixed points in history are events that vastly effect the course of history for a continent, planet, galaxy, or the Universe. Events in one's personal timeline are not, from what I've gleaned, fixed. But I s'pose unless the Doctor speaks more of it, we'll never know for sure. Maybe it's just a Time Lord thing - only he'll ever know for sure.

during the whole fotd episode there was talk of spoilers and the diary at the end the doctor asked donna if she wanted to take a peek at the end.

Yes, but how can we be sure that those events are fixed, as Pompeii is? They don't seem to me to be all that important to the fate of the Universe, and therefore not fixed in Time.

As for Martha Donna (Wow... I can't believe I made that mistake XD) being a Time Lord... I don't know if that really counts. She became half Time Lord when she exchanged biological coding with the duplicate Doctor. I found that to be a bad cop-out, in my opinion. Davies tried the "we're gonna kill someone - NAWT!!!" before, with Rose. It worked once, sure. But using it twice is kind of a lame way of leading us astray - as was the regeneration at the end of TSE.

That brings me to another point: does the end of TSE mean that the Doctor has last one of his regenerations? Has he used up another one of them, and simply decided to remain in the same body?

As for Martha being a Time Lord...

You mean Donna. :p

I don't know if that really counts.

Me neither. I got the impression that she just received the Doctor's memories, knowledge, etc. After all, the Doctor mentions specifically that she still has a human body.

That brings me to another point: does the end of TSE mean that the Doctor has last one of his regenerations? Has he used up another one of them, and simply decided to remain in the same body?

Eh...two things. First, didn't he mention that he didn't need to do a full regeneration? And second, I'm betting that they'll come up with some loophole in the twelve regeneration rule to explain how the Doctor lives on past his limit, if need be.

Oh, I'm sure you're right. I've always been under the impression that the Time Lord limit on regeneration was imposed by the Time Lords themselves, to prevent someone abusing the ability. That's why they were able to grant the Master another set to fight in the Time War, etc. Now that the Time Lords are gone, that limit no longer exists, in my mind.

This is the end. But... the moment has been prepared for.

Besides, I believe the 4th Doctor was supposed to be the Doctor's 13th body, and he wasn't meant to regenerate after that - but the Time Lords sent the Watcher to help him regenerate again, the better to fight the Master. Hence the line quoted above: he knew he wouldn't normally have regenerated, but that the Time Lords had provided him with help, so he could survive to defeat the Master. That's why ever since then, every regeneration has resulted in a period of instability until it sorts itself out properly - they're "mock-up" regenerations, as it were, and aren't as stable. Perhaps that's why the Time Lords may have imposed the limit of 12 regeneration processes, because after that, they become dangerously unstable. Though I don't think any of this was ever explicitly stated in the show, and is more than likely my own musings and extrapolations.

I was also under the impression, however, that as long as the regeneration began, it's been used up. All the energy was used - he simply channeled it into his "handy spare hand", which allowed him to keep his current body.

i think with doctor who anything goes, as long as they can give some sort of explanation. if the show's still running when the doctor uses his last regeneration, then no doubt they'll find a way of giving him more.

i think with doctor who anything goes, as long as they can give some sort of explanation. if the show's still running when the doctor uses his last regeneration, then no doubt they'll find a way of giving him more.

They'll probably just say that the Time Lords got ride of the regeneration limit, and Gallifrey was destroyed before it could be reinstated. I mean, if they can bestow a new cycle of regenerations on the Master, I'm pretty sure they can do something like that.

Funny thing is, with S Moffat taking over, I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more of those 'creepy' type episodes like Blink, SITL etc... I personally think thats great, but others might not like it and would prefer to see endless resurrections of <insert various 70s villain>

:p

mtfbwya

Funny thing is, with S Moffat taking over, I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more of those 'creepy' type episodes like Blink, SITL etc... I personally think thats great, but others might not like it and would prefer to see endless resurrections of <insert various 70s villain>

:p

mtfbwya

:lol:

Apart from Davros, there's nobody else WORTH bringing back...

And even the new Davros sucked...

They should start showing the old Tom Baker episodes on Saturday nights.

Now THAT'S entertainment... :D

Archived