Home

Dr Who - 2008 (Warning: spoilers ahead!)

Aash Li

Im hoping they can somehow tie up that loose end with Donna and that guy... but probly not. Im antsy to see what moffat writes up too, and who the Doctor gets paired with this time... oh and I want to see more Georgia... shes too cute. :)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt like Donna at first... that Christmas episode still annoys me. But she grew on me, so now Im sad shes not going to be in it anymore. :| I too like redheads; theyre nothing but trouble but they look the nicest usually. hehe

• 2 months later...
Very sad news indeed. Only one thing I can say now -

Bill Nighy for the next incarnation.

If my theory on the Christmas Special is correct, David Morrissey is probably going to replace him. But if not, I hope Henry Ian Cusick ditches LOST to be the Eleventh Doctor. And on that topic, I hope David Tennant goes out with a bang (not literally, though if he can regenerate from it...).

Wow, I just about squeeled when I saw this topic. >>;

I'm kinda upset that David Tennant is leaving, but I guess that's life. He did a really good job as the doctor. At first, I was some what wary; I wasn't sure how well he was going to do. To my delight, he ended up being one of my favorite Doctors of all time. I actually found this last season to be quite entertaining, too. Davies had his ups and downs, but I don't think any of the episodes this season were anywhere near as disappointing as the previous season finale. I'm thinking of the one with The Master? Yeah, that series of episodes ended a little... laym.

Anyhow, as for Donna, I really wasn't too excited for her at first. She definitely grew on me, though. In the beginning, I wouldn't have minded her abrupt departure from the series. When it actually happened, though, I was kinda looking for more. They had finally made her an entertaining character in my eyes, and then just took her away. Not to mention, as I think someone mentioned a little bit above my post, she was the first Assistant who didn't fall in love with the Doctor. I liked that. Not that Martha and Rose didn't have their entertaining moments. I just felt the whole romance plot get a little old.

Any predominant opinions on Moffat? Other than, of course, his ridiculously awesome last name. I loved most, if not all, of the episodes that he wrote for, but... It feels more like he should be writing just the occasional episode, and not in bulk. I love the spine-chilling, creepy, and dark themes in his episodes, but that just doesn't feel Doctorly, you know? It'll be interesting to see if Moffat tries to deviate from his usual dark tone and adjust to something more Davies-humour style. We'll see what happens.

Jeez, long post. I feel like such a loser now. >>!

Moving on...

Favorite episodes from Tennant? Or just the new Doctor Who in general? I have to say, despite my previous qualms about Moffat, Blink has to be one of my favorite episodes from the new episodes. Can't say I've looked at a statue the same since.

Wow, I just about squeeled when I saw this topic. >>;

I'm kinda upset that David Tennant is leaving, but I guess that's life. He did a really good job as the doctor. At first, I was some what wary; I wasn't sure how well he was going to do. To my delight, he ended up being one of my favorite Doctors of all time. I actually found this last season to be quite entertaining, too. Davies had his ups and downs, but I don't think any of the episodes this season were anywhere near as disappointing as the previous season finale. I'm thinking of the one with The Master? Yeah, that series of episodes ended a little... laym.

Series III at its worst was vastly superior to Series IV at its best. I loved Donna, don't get me wrong - she's actually my favourite companion, and I was nearly in tears when she left. But the whole DoctorDonna thing was epic fail, and Rose's return was possibly the greatest let-down I've seen in a long time. The Series promised to be the most exciting of the show's run, and it failed to deliver, plain and simple. After all the hype, and building of tension, the finale was simply anti-climactic, to be honest.

Anyhow, as for Donna, I really wasn't too excited for her at first. She definitely grew on me, though. In the beginning, I wouldn't have minded her abrupt departure from the series. When it actually happened, though, I was kinda looking for more. They had finally made her an entertaining character in my eyes, and then just took her away. Not to mention, as I think someone mentioned a little bit above my post, she was the first Assistant who didn't fall in love with the Doctor. I liked that. Not that Martha and Rose didn't have their entertaining moments. I just felt the whole romance plot get a little old.

In my opinion, romance has no place in Doctor Who, to be honest. The Classic Series never even touched the idea of the Doctor falling in love, and it was better that way.

Any predominant opinions on Moffat? Other than, of course, his ridiculously awesome last name. I loved most, if not all, of the episodes that he wrote for, but... It feels more like he should be writing just the occasional episode, and not in bulk. I love the spine-chilling, creepy, and dark themes in his episodes, but that just doesn't feel Doctorly, you know? It'll be interesting to see if Moffat tries to deviate from his usual dark tone and adjust to something more Davies-humour style. We'll see what happens.

If Moffat adjusts his style to match Davies', I'll be supremely disappointed. The whole reason I'm so excited about him taking over is that he'll be a fresh new leader for the series. If all he does is try to mimic Davies, the show won't go anywhere.

I personally would love to see Doctor Who take a darker road, such as it did with The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Blink.

I suppose I just wasn't expecting a spectacular finale when it came to this season. There was nothing to be let down by for me. To be honest, I never really loved Rose all that much. I liked her, but I wasn't fanatic about her. So, when I found out she was coming back, I just thought "What? Why?" On the other hand, I was really hyped about the Season 3 Finale. The first episode, where the Master was an old man, really caught my attention. Maybe the difference in our opinions comes from a difference from our expectations. I was looking for grandeur in Season 3, while you were looking for the same thing, but in Season 4.

As for Georgia... I forgot to mention how her no-show during the Season 4 finale bothered me. I realize that the Doctor didn't realize she was actually alive, but I still clung to that hope that she'd make an appearance. She's awfully cute, albeit a tad cheesy. <3

Hopefully we will see more of her. :D

I personally would love to see Doctor Who take a darker road, such as it did with The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Blink.

As dark and scary as they are, there's a pretty low body count in Moffat's stories. Nobody actually died in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, one person died offscreen in The Girl in the Fireplace, two people died of natural causes after being flung back in time by the Weeping Angels in Blink, and everyone who died in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, everyone who died has their mind uploaded to a matrix-esque reality and live on within it. I also have a feeling that Steven Moffat taking over won't mean the end of romance in Doctor Who.

Who's to say that the darker road has to entail a body count? I personally enjoy it when the Doctor manages to save everyone, with as little death as possible. Makes him kick even more ass than he already does. Death in Doctor Who is best when it has meaning to the story. Just killing off characters to add tension is the mark of a mediocre writer, which Moffat is not.

As for a female Doctor? I sincerely hope not. That's just be too much of a shift, even for my tastes. I would, however, love to see Jenny come back. I wasn't expecting her to be around in Series IV, myself. It's too soon. They'll probably end this revival of the series (when and if, of course) by restoring the Time Lords. Jenny will play a key role in any such story. But that's just my own impressions and ideas, certainly not based on any facts. *shrug*

Series III, in my opinion, was epic. Especially the finale. The Master's return was amazing - I've always loved the Master, and can't wait to see him return again. I didn't have a problem with how the season ended, though I seem to be nearly alone in that respect. Many people found it silly, but I thought it was brilliant. I got chills when everyone around the World began calling the Doctor's name, and I still do whenever I see that scene. The Master's greatest fear (as stated in the Daemons, I believe it was) was revealed to be the Doctor, floating above him in an angelic way - and that's just what happened. I loved it. *shrug*

Actually, I've given some thought to Hugh Laurie. With the difference between the American and British filming season schedules, he could theoretically do both. Or, he could decide to end his current American show on a high note, and go home to do Doctor Who.

Still not sure how much I'd like him in the role, though.

Oh dear god... if only Hugh Laurie played the Doctor like he played House... can you imagine the amount of awesomeness that would bring? *fangirls*

@The Doctor: We already had a female doctor... Donna. It was short lived, but she was the first female Doctor. ;)

@The Doctor: We already had a female doctor... Donna. It was short lived, but she was the first female Doctor. ;)

On that topic, if you consider the DoctorDonna and the Clone Doctor to be incarnations of the Doctor, does that make Journey's End a multi-doctor story? And if The Next Doctor's title is literal, that'd be two multi-doctor stories in a row, ironically both written by a guy who doesn't like multi-doctor stories.

On that topic, if you consider the DoctorDonna and the Clone Doctor to be incarnations of the Doctor, does that make Journey's End a multi-doctor story? And if The Next Doctor's title is literal, that'd be two multi-doctor stories in a row, ironically both written by a guy who doesn't like multi-doctor stories.

Hm, I didn't know the Xmas special was going to be called The Next Doctor. I should start paying more attention. According to the BBC, there'll be a 2-minute preview of it shown during Children In Need on 14th November; although apprently it's the opening 2 minutes, so I'm not sure if it'll shed any light on the whole "David Morrissey claiming to be the Doctor" thing.

I see it's going to be written by RTD, so already my expectations for it aren't too high, given that I was disappointed with last year's Xmas special.

I'll be quite sad to see Tennant go :(

I read in the paper the other day that some of the favourites to take over include Robert Carlyle and James Nesbitt. Did anybody else read this?

Archived