Home

Dr Who - 2008 (Warning: spoilers ahead!)

Aash Li

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're labelling all Doctors as charming and loveable, you've clearly seen neither the 6th nor 7th Doctors.

I'd say only the 6th lacked that charm. The 7th had it, in an "I'm capable of both failing at metaphors and making your kill yourself" sort of way. I still think Morrissey's Doctor's only acting full of himself because he remembers being the 10th Doctor and seeing himself be like that.

The 7th Doctor was really only redeemed in his later episodes, particularly the last few archs. Immediately after his regeneration, he was still a cold, even ruthless incarnation, and saw his companions as pawns in his unending battle against evil.

Morrissey's Doctor could also be acting the way he is because he's simply more arrogant than the 10th - which is saying something, to be honest. :xp: Perhaps this incarnation of the Doctor has experienced things that have given him a higher opinion of himself, or the incarnation's personality is just simply that full of himself. It's not unheard of - none of the previous incarnations have been exactly modest, really.

I was talking about the 9th and 10th doctors

If you're going to feasibly compare prospective Doctors to previous ones, you can't just compare him to the most recent. Especially with the vastly different personalities displayed by each incarnation - why, just looking from the 5th to the 6th Doctor should prove exactly how different any two incarnations can be from each other. Besides, Eccleston and Tennant have had a fairly limited impact on the series and the role, in comparison to incarnations such as Tom Baker's (who, for most fans, is the benchmark against whom all other incarnations are measured).

The 7th Doctor was really only redeemed in his later episodes, particularly the last few archs. Immediately after his regeneration, he was still a cold, even ruthless incarnation, and saw his companions as pawns in his unending battle against evil.

That sounds like how he was in his last few episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh....I found this out unwillingly...but the Xmas special now days away looks like its going to be quite remarkable indeed!

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Every Previous Time Lord to Appear in Xmas Special of course this follows that
The actors who played the first three doctors - William Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee - are all dead and it is believed they and other former Doctors will be featured in clips of old footage....

So the Morrisey character being a 'future' doctor is quite plausible now..??

Also, Im not sure I like the idea of David Walliams being D11. Sure, He's a funny bloke, but perhaps too funny! The Doc needs to have a serious/haunted side.

mtfbywa

Any incarnation Williams plays would, of course, follow the precedent set by Tennant, and become progessively more light-hearted as he grows further from the incarnation who fought in the Time War. I think no matter who plays him that we'll see a lot less dark, brooding, and lonely sides of him and see more of the optimistic, up-beat aspects as the ghosts of his past lay to rest.

From the article you posted above, it was difficult at first to tell whether they're going to have each Doctor re-appear, or if they'll be using clips in a 'flash back' sort of way. The former is highly unlikely, with the first three actors being dead and Colin Baker wanting nothing to do with the show after his not-so-genial departure in 1986. Though, I wouldn't say no to seeing McGann return to the role - the TV movie wasn't the greatest sample of writing in history, to say the least, but McGann was a splendid Doctor in both it and the few radio drama's I've been able to hear.

With only about a week to go, I guess speculating at this point is just impatient, really. :p I'll have to... *ahem*... dig it up online Christmas night, since CBC won't be airing it until Boxing Day - if at all. T_T I don't get why the CBC doesn't air it properly, instead of as filler when they have nothing better to put on. They helped produce it, and it's got a decent size cult following in Canada (in no small part due to me, in my area :xp:).

If they did use the flash back stuff from old clips, I'd like to see how theyre going to overlay that old grainy horrible video ontop of the glistening clarity sported by the modern show, and do it without it looking silly :p

* * * watches it* * *

EDIT: yes, it was just a flashback montage, done in scrambled B&W, cleverly hiding the craptivity of the old video standard :p

Now that Ive seen it Im glad Morrisey was not the future Doctor ;)

It was an ok ep, but the Xmas eps seem to get increasingly cheesier as the years go by. I also would have been nice if they gave some hint or tie in to what its to follow but this one didnt(neither did the last one)

Still, it was good to see DT again, the first half of the show was pretty nicely paced and quite funny ;)

Now, bring on 'Planet of The Dead' and hurry up and announce Paterson Joseph! :D

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Curse you, Astro, with your sneaky editing and such. A POX ON THEE!

I was also quite glad that Morrissey was not in fact a future version of the Doctor. Not that I disliked his portrayal once I saw more than just his opening scene - he seemed much like Tennant's Doctor taken to the extremes of his personality.

The CyberKing and Ms. Hartigan's integration into it seemed a bit awkward to me. The point of the CyberMen is that they don't put any stock in emotions; the leader of the CyberMen wishing to combine the powers of emotion with the existing Cybermen just didn't make sense, in my opinion. It kind of ruined the Cybermen, really. Though at least now we've got them out of the Void again, with the potential to see them return once more later on in the series.

Looking forward to Easter, to see Planet of the Dead. :D

I've been putting off commenting because i've still been trying to make sense of it. Some of it was good, but the rest of it was mediocre compared to the standard we've seen so far.

Overall, it was fun, but not great, IMO.

The Xmas specials were always a bit weird [/iMO]. I know many disliked it, but I did enjoy the one with Cathy Tate, mainly because it had Cathy Tate, and Im crazy for redheads. It was actually the first ep I watched of the new series and I only got around to doing so because Torchwood has piqued my interest in it. If it werent for TW and CapN Jack, I may still be missing out on all the DT-DW goodness :p

mtfbwya

Well, it's definately a guy. David clearly refers to him as 'the chap' in the trailer.

I kinda hope it isn't Paterson Joseph, but only for the rather weak reason that I've never seen him in anything (apart from his previous Doctor Who appearence).

I'm still having a last minute yell out for Nighy.

I'm still having a last minute yell out for Nighy.

Nighy's my ideal pick too, but not many people seem to think he'd be a good doctor...

It'll probably be Joseph - of all the people who've already been in Who, at least his previous appearance was minute compared to a major villain (Simm), an semi-major character (Tovey), or a recent, major character (Morrisey).

Archived