Home

Euro 2008

lukeiamyourdad

Yes, every two years, a thread about the beautiful game will emerge as well as waves of hate against the Italian national soccer team. I don't want to start about that (poor Scots...)

Anyway, next summer will be the time of Euro 2008, co-hosted by Austria and Switzerland and yes, we now know who will be playing who in the group stages.

Gentlemen! Place your bets!

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Hoping for the Czech to win this group. However, it will be tough. Portugal is no pushover and Switzerland is playing at home. Turkey has also a decent team. It will be a very interesting group.

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Also a good group. My money for the tournament is on the great mix of young and old in the German squad so I expect them to do just as well as during the qualifying round. Croatia and Poland should be fighting for the second spot while Austria, even when playing at home, shouldn't be much of a threat.

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group of death? Not really. I expect the Italians to go through (why God why?!) while the Netherlands suck their way through with the second spot. Why? They scored 15 goals during the qualifying round. 15. That's an awfully low amount considering the players they have. Luckily, they only conceded 5 times, but still...Only two other teams conceded 5 goals, France and the Czech Republic but they scored 25 and 27 goals respectively. France could cause a surprise, though it is unlikely without the leadership and headbutting of Zinedine Zidane. This could also end up as the defensive (read boring) group.

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

Most interesting. Will Greece perform like they did in Euro 2004? Will Guus Hiddink's Russia cause a surprise? Will Spain exit the group stage and perform their famous swan dive routine (they actually won once in 1964)? How will Sweden perform? I honestly don't know who will get out of the group. Russia seems like it has the weakest team but it is managed by Guus Hiddink. Spain is strong as always and entertaining to watch, but they simply never get anywhere, surprising considering their line-up. Greece could cause a surprise and Sweden is always a threat.

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia...

Germany...

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Italy...

Romania (The Rematch)

France...

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

Although I'm English I'm glad England didn't qualify... Now I can sit back and watch some good football instead of foolishly thinking we can get past the last 16.

lolz... the world game ... I love it. I wonder how long it will take one of our american colleagues to pop in and say 'soccer' is boring because of the low scoring.. compared to a game where you have to measure the amount of yards players run before they fall to the ground, I know which I'd pick >>> there are very good reasons why certain sports dont have *international* appeal.. Gridiron and Baseball are perfect examples.

>> apart from grp B , I dunno about your tips there !!

you obviously havent been following those teams progress very closely adam... those are some n00b choices based on a nations profile more than their recent performance **in tournament finals*

Group A

>Portugal... has never come together at national level. OK, evem I will admit Cristiano Ronaldo is a handsome young man, but that dont win matches !!

>Czech Republic ...these boys can play. Couple them with a good coach and theyd be a major force to be reckoned with.

>Turkey - 3rd place in 2002 world cup >Plus I am highly biased !! :p

Yuru Turk Aslanlarimiz !!

Turkey-team.jpg

Group B

what you said!

Group C

The Group of Death !! I have an Italian friend who has been on the verge of tears all day since finding out Italy's group. Holland and France are super teams, though Holland has had recent struggles. Since Van Nitstelrooy has come back into the national team - things are on the up. Italy should never be discounted though. Despite getting into the WC final with some luck and trickery, they still posess the greatest midfielder in the world atm, Andrea Pirlo, and a dangerous striker in the form of Toni. Inzaghi has also proven he's not past his used by date yet, to most peoples surprise ! :p

Group D.

>Greece did perform well in their qualifying group and are perfectly capable of beating spain if they play well. Spain is another team that has been a bit hit-n-miss at national level, despite their cavalcade of stars. >>and NEVER rule out any team coached by Guus - what he did with Australia in 2006 was phenomenal.

as for England, I love liverpool/Stevie gerrard but at a national level, they are reaping what they sew.. McLaren was a terrible coaching decision, and now we all know why!! They should spend some $$$ and get a world class coach up there.

Im taking the whole time its on next june as a holiday to watch it with mates on cable tv :D As our teams have all qualified(Italy, Turkey, Greece) its going to be great !! :D

mtfbwya

you obviously havent been following those teams progress very closely adam... those are some n00b choices based on a nations profile more than their recent performance **in tournament finals*

You've sure got a knack for pissing me off Astro, but oh well, there simply my opinions take it or (preferably) leave it... Up the Portugal!

Ah, the old times are re-living here. I recall my post in the 2006 thread, right after the Netherlands-Portugal match (the referee's second name was red, favourite song was Yellow).

Group A:

Anyways, I have a weakness for the Czech Republic, especially Rosický and Galásek. The first is just...one of the best players around. The second is the main reason why Ajax was succesfull during the 2000-2005 period. He's the guy who prevents goals, gives the decissive passes...without ever doing everything fancy. You know, the...hard worker on the background.

So I hope they take the first place.

If Portugal, for once, can show their qualifier way of playing on the actual tournament, if several *cough* Movie stars *couch* stop diving, they deserve the second place.

Group B:

Fully agree. Germany is (how ironic) everything I'd want my 'own' (Dutch) squad to play. Good field play, combined with the individual talent of the superstars.

Croatia and Poland should fight it out, yes. I like both teams to some extend.

Group C:

France first. Too bad Zidane's gone. But if they can just...find their way...they can still play beautifull soccer. Hope they get the first spot. Also, I like their striker, Henry. Not the big movie star like some others...

Italy and Romania should fight for the second spot. Romania is just...a cool team. Chivu, Mutu, Ogararu...all good players. And they have a lot of players from their own country in their team.

Then again, Italy...their way of playing...although I can hate them for their cold efficiency, it has some charm as well. They can win matches in injury time...

Hope Netherlands get's knocked out. They don't deserve to be here. If you see what some other teams have done (in matters of balance and just...pure optimism) Netherlands does a poor job. We got World class players (v. Nistelrooy, Sneijder, Van Persie, Van Der Vaart), national heroes (Huntelaar)combined with people as Seedorf, Van der Sar. The potential is perfect. Bit reality sucks. Hope they kick the one responsible (Van Basten) away before the tournament. Under every single other coach the team was balanced and played good. In 2004, Advocaat did pretty good with (almost) the same team.

Group D:

Toss up between Russia, Sweden and Spain. I personally favor Sweden though. Zlatan is just...phenomenal. I'd also like the Russiand to come through. The country deserves some happiness and joy. But Spain has some very good players...dang.

England can't find cohesion with its stars. Individually and on a club level, they all excel at what they do but as a national team, they suck.

What's worse is their lack of a decent goalkeeper. See how poor Scott Carson did on that first goal in the game against Croatia? Poor guy though, first game and thrown into the most important match. What are the other choices though? Paul Robinson? David James? Not magnificent...

Ah, Football! (I don't say soccer. Ever!) There are few things better than it.

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Hoping for the Czech to win this group. However, it will be tough. Portugal is no pushover and Switzerland is playing at home. Turkey has also a decent team. It will be a very interesting group.

Even if Switzerland is playing at home, and there's this whole FIFA hoster thing, I don't think they'll put much of challenge. I remember before the World Cup last year, there was a match between Brazil and a covenant of the switzerland teams. Portugal... Yeah, I think they'll make it, although I dislike Cristiano Ronaldo intensily. Sorry, Turkey, but I think Czech will take your place.

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Also a good group. My money for the tournament is on the great mix of young and old in the German squad so I expect them to do just as well as during the qualifying round. Croatia and Poland should be fighting for the second spot while Austria, even when playing at home, shouldn't be much of a threat.

I'm all for good, beautiful football, so I refuse to see Germany winning. However, analysing their group, I think they will... And so will Austria, for being host. Sorry Croatia. You guys on the picnic uniform are good, but one host has to remain. Poland, nah.

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group of death? Not really. I expect the Italians to go through (why God why?!) while the Netherlands suck their way through with the second spot. Why? They scored 15 goals during the qualifying round. 15. That's an awfully low amount considering the players they have. Luckily, they only conceded 5 times, but still...Only two other teams conceded 5 goals, France and the Czech Republic but they scored 25 and 27 goals respectively. France could cause a surprise, though it is unlikely without the leadership and headbutting of Zinedine Zidane. This could also end up as the defensive (read boring) group.

Romania, no. I heard from times past that Romania was good, but so was Hungary. Italy... Blasted be those italians! They and Argentina are our worst rivals, and after last year... Netherlands is always innovating on tatics, might as well get in. As for France, it's true they don't have their "bull" anymore, but a few brilliant players may shine. (e.g. Henry)

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

Most interesting. Will Greece perform like they did in Euro 2004? Will Guus Hiddink's Russia cause a surprise? Will Spain exit the group stage and perform their famous swan dive routine (they actually won once in 1964)? How will Sweden perform? I honestly don't know who will get out of the group. Russia seems like it has the weakest team but it is managed by Guus Hiddink. Spain is strong as always and entertaining to watch, but they simply never get anywhere, surprising considering their line-up. Greece could cause a surprise and Sweden is always a threat.

Spain for sure (though I'm not a great fan of their football). Then, perhaps for lack of rivals, goes Greece. I'm not getting my bets too high on them. They don't have their surprise bonus this time. Russia, as the racist commentary of Putin goes "looks like an african team", therefore, the born russian aren't the best... And Sweden, I dunno, but no.

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

France could get through if Domenech is smart enough to use Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa up front. Those two are a devastating combination with the Olympique de Lyon. They're just amazing.The both of them simply mystify the opposing defense. They're pretty young though and it could be quite a slap in the face of Henry if they were used instead of him.

Still...they have my age, make more money then I will ever do and can get any women they want...damn you reality! You suck :(

Group A

Switzerland - Not all that strong

Czech Republic - Always a threat, and a great line-up, Nedved, Rosicky, Baros...

Portugal - Probabilty to make it through

Turkey - Muscled out of second by Portugal

Group B

Austria - Could be a threat, and are hosts

Croatia - Strong line-up, Modric(Barcelona are after him, along with others), Da Silva... Plus i'm Croatian. :)

Germany - One word, through

Poland - Will duke it out, but Croatia will take their spot

Group C

Netherlands - A good team, but poor recently, return of Van Nistelrooy

Italy - Unfortunately, through

Romania - Could cause an upset

France - Watch for Henry

Group D

Greece - Another upset? Possibly..

Sweden - What's there to say?

Spain - A strong team, Torres, Xavi, Alonso... but always seem to screw up

Russia - Luckily for them, Guus Hiddink is their coach

The winners appear to be Germany, but i'll be cheering for Croatia!!

So, in an effort to keep the thread alive a little longer, let's talk about something a little different eh?

The UEFA executive committee decided that no expansion to 24 teams instead of the current 16 was made for 2012 but Platini has said that he was in favour of such a change.

Indeed, it would allow many of the smaller teams to qualify (read: Scotland). The logic behind this expansion is how the number of countries qualified to enter the Euro tournament has expanded since the inclusion of teams from Asia and the implosion of the USSR.

I think it would be a great idea to include more teams.

Heh. I'm happy England got kicked out too. Shame about Scotland. I would've rooted for them for sure.

And Belgium just plain sucked lolz...So no point in me actually watching it.

Feel our agony! Well, most people don't even care anymore anyway. In almost every other country, a stadium is packed full when their national team plays. Here, not even half of the "Stade Roi Baudouin (or Koning Boudewijnstadium in dutch) is filled with fans. The supporters of the visiting team are sometimes louder than ours.

I wouldn't call it a stereotypical "rivalry" around here if I were you, this isn't like two local rugby teams that don't like each other or something, it's bigger than that...

I would, your not Me, and as a veteran of being English I know all about how much the Scots hate us, it's just a bit cliche every time a sporting event comes around its the same old yamma. My favorite was when Scotland went out of the world cup and we got a bit further in the competition, so Scottish factories started mass producing all our opponents shirts, ha ha

Feel our agony! Well, most people don't even care anymore anyway. In almost every other country, a stadium is packed full when their national team plays. Here, not even half of the "Stade Roi Baudouin (or Koning Boudewijnstadium in dutch) is filled with fans. The supporters of the visiting team are sometimes louder than ours.

Well I do, I'm Belgian ;)

There's just not enough people in Belgium to fill that stadium anyways lolz!

Archived