Home

2007 = Worst Holiday Movie Season in history!

Darth Groovy

While all the atheists and agnostics complain every time God is so much as mentioned in any given movie, you can't sidestep the fact that lots of people, especially those in times of great stress and trouble as is depicted here, turn to God to explain what others could call coincidences. That's all they did here.

I think the objection is more along the lines of the common depiction of the atheist as the poor, misguided soul who comes around at the end as a form of character development.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn't an atheist with a poor misguided soul who came around at the end, though. He was a Christian who had gotten angry at the world and at the god he believed in, ultimately denouncing him due to his anger and frustration, then, in the end, did fully develop and turn back to his original ways and beliefs.

If he had originally been an atheist I could see your point, but he clearly was not.

If he had originally been an atheist I could see your point, but he clearly was not.
"There is no God!" -- he says that pretty forcefully and you can't get much more atheistic than that. I saw no indication he was anything but atheistic through the movie until the end.

What the flip does it matter? The movie was well played, and far more enjoyable than I was expecting. This really doesn't need to turn into some atheist/Christian debate. It's a movie. Suck it up if you can't handle the mention of God. I know that I'd have sucked it up and not griped to everyone if it'd been Satan mentioned.

"There is no God!" -- he says that pretty forcefully and you can't get much more atheistic than that. I saw no indication he was anything but atheistic through the movie until the end.

Look at any of the flashbacks... he clearly believed in God before the outbreak of the virus. Therefore, his shift at the end was a return to his previous beliefs.

But I agree, people shouldn't base their opinions off of his religious beliefs.

He prayed with his family during the flashback on the helicopter landing pad. :(

It's not necessarily that they brought about him believing in God, it's that they did it in such a rushed, implausible, ad-hoc, irrelevant way.

OMG TEH CRACKS ARE BUTTERFLIEz! I AM A TRUE BELIEVER AGANE!

Yep.

What the flip does it matter? The movie was well played, and far more enjoyable than I was expecting. This really doesn't need to turn into some atheist/Christian debate. It's a movie. Suck it up if you can't handle the mention of God. I know that I'd have sucked it up and not griped to everyone if it'd been Satan mentioned.
If I may, Lady Jedi, we are not debating the virtues of theism or atheism here. Instead we're discussing the portrayal of religion in the film and trying to clarify why agnostics or atheists may find it discomforting.

I know it does seem that the topic gets brought up far more often than expected on these boards, but surely you'd agree that it is a valid subject when describing why or why not someone enjoyed the movie. Personally I enjoyed the movie and was not bothered by this aspect as much as some others I know. When The Seeker made mention of this, I chose to specify one of the objections I had heard.

@Achilles: Ah that's right. Thanks for reminding me.

The Golden Compass? = Baaaaaaad Narnia Clone

that movie is based off a stupid book series that was supposedly one of the 10 book series for kids to read when they had finished harry potter.

i've read the books, and the story sucks. disjointed and badly written.

it makes me angry just thinking about it.

that movie is based off a stupid book series that was supposedly one of the 10 book series for kids to read when they had finished harry potter.

i've read the books, and the story sucks. disjointed and badly written.

it makes me angry just thinking about it.

I challenge you to a duel, I love those books.

Archived