Home

Linking Modules

Silveredge9

I've been wondering how I would add into a module at a location, one of those trigger things that are responsible for transporting the player from module to module.

I've seen it done in RedHawkes ORD Mandell Mod. So far I've managed to get a transition box (that would say Go to some place) to appear on screen when your positioned in a specific area using a trigger, but no text shows up within this box.

A screenshot showing what I'm trying to figure out is shown below.

Clickly

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, it's something that's been bugging me recently. :p

With difficulty, as I recall.

Basically, you set a trigger, much like a normal one.

There are several key pieces of information you'll need to keep in mind, however:-

1) Set the .utt to "Transition".

2) In the .GIT, the XYZ co-ords in the main part of the node are the centre.

3) The others, which are in a subnode, have relative positions to the main one.

Hope that helps. I've probably missed out something key, 'tho >.<

With difficulty, as I recall.

Basically, you set a trigger, much like a normal one.

There are several key pieces of information you'll need to keep in mind, however:-

1) Set the .utt to "Transition".

2) In the .GIT, the XYZ co-ords in the main part of the node are the centre.

3) The others, which are in a subnode, have relative positions to the main one.

Hope that helps. I've probably missed out something key, 'tho >.<

Yeah, I'm already familar with how to set a trigger. :p

Setting Transition triggers is different though. From looking at the .git files of existing areas - no transition triggers are actually defined... yet they somehow appear in game.

When I add a custom Tranisition trigger to a map using an existing transition trigger as a template, it shows up in game in my defined location... but it's blank - and nothing happens when you walk into it. :p

Yeah, I'm already familar with how to set a trigger. :p

Setting Transition triggers is different though. From looking at the .git files of existing areas - no transition triggers are actually defined... yet they somehow appear in game.

When I add a custom Tranisition trigger to a map using an existing transition trigger as a template, it shows up in game in my defined location... but it's blank - and nothing happens when you walk into it. :p

Mostly those transitions are at doors right ?

After looking at some walkmeshes from areas , it looks like certain parts have their own assigned "DOOR" material , walkmeshes get devided in certain parts , like Dirt or Stone and Door to .

Mostly you spawn in the Door part to . Maybe the triggers get info about that some way ?

Dunno , cause then again certain areas don't use it .

Anyway , I'm babbeling beyond my knowledge ...

So ignore the post :p

That would be because some doors automatically link to a new area, by a method I don't really understand. :p

Looking at my transition triggers for Azgath's Tomb, "Faction" should be "Hostile_1", "Type" should be "Transition" and "Cursor" should be "1". Warping scripts should be attached to either OnTrapTriggered or ScriptOnEnter (or both to cover redundancies :p ).

In the .GIT file, you need some extra fields, too. In a standard GFF Editor, they would look like this:

{Note to those that may not know: The plain text, such as "LinkedTo", goes in the FieldID: box; the bit in square [] brackets is the type of thing to add; anything in {} brackets is a comment. These should be replaced with unbracketed text in the final version. :) }

LinkedTo [CExoString] = {waypoint/door(?) of choice}

LinkedToFlags [bYTE] = {Mine is set to 2}

LinkedToModule [CResRef] = {insert number here - e.g., 701kor}

TransitionDestin [CExoLocString] = {You want to set STRREF: to "-1", "Language ID:" to whichever language your game is in - I'd guess "0", since this is English :), and then press the return key and enter your string, to be displayed in the little box, e.g., "To The Valley of the Dark Lords" in the big box.)

Hope that helps/is vaguely clear. :)

That would be because some doors automatically link to a new area, by a method I don't really understand. :p

Looking at my transition triggers for Azgath's Tomb, "Faction" should be "Hostile_1", "Type" should be "Transition" and "Cursor" should be "1". Warping scripts should be attached to either OnTrapTriggered or ScriptOnEnter (or both to cover redundancies :p ).

In the .GIT file, you need some extra fields, too. In a standard GFF Editor, they would look like this:

{Note to those that may not know: The plain text, such as "LinkedTo", goes in the FieldID: box; the bit in square [] brackets is the type of thing to add; anything in {} brackets is a comment. These should be replaced with unbracketed text in the final version. :) }

LinkedTo [CExoString] = {waypoint/door(?) of choice}

LinkedToFlags [bYTE] = {Mine is set to 2}

LinkedToModule [CResRef] = {insert number here - e.g., 701kor}

TransitionDestin [CExoLocString] = {You want to set STRREF: to "-1", "Language ID:" to whichever language your game is in - I'd guess "0", since this is English :), and then press the return key and enter your string, to be displayed in the little box, e.g., "To The Valley of the Dark Lords" in the big box.)

Hope that helps/is vaguely clear. :)

Yup, that's cleared everything up. I've managed to get it working in game. :p

Thanks for the help.

Maybe, maybe not. That's all I'm interested in saying on the subject at the moment.

Besides, even if I WAS working on something big, you wouldn't hear anything about it for a long time yet. I'm not interested in creating expections or hype for anything that wouldn't be finished for a loooonnng time. It'd be just pointless. :p

If you are using Bioware's GFF Editor be careful doing this with GIT files that contains placeable cameras since that utility will corrupt the CameraList. For those situations you should use k-gff since it correctly handles the Rotation and Vector field types that KOTOR adds to the GFF format.

If you are using Bioware's GFF Editor be careful doing this with GIT files that contains placeable cameras since that utility will corrupt the CameraList. For those situations you should use k-gff since it correctly handles the Rotation and Vector field types that KOTOR adds to the GFF format.

I think that provided you don't open the camera node they remain uncorrupted...I'm not sure why, 'though.

@Silveredge: Glad to be able to help. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived