Home

More reasons to dislike the RIAA (like we needed some lolz)

Negative Sun

Clicky

Wow that really takes the biscuit lolz

Using illegal methods to fight piracy, is it me or is the stench of irony overwhelming here?

They're not the only ones though, the French Government is allowing ISPs to monitor what users are downloading and fine them accordingly...Maybe it's cause they're French or something, but in my book that read gross invasion of privacy which is/should be illegal and is certainly immoral.

Well the French has a history of not only spying on all and sundry but doing things that are immoral or illegal. They were caught trying to sink the Rainbow Warrior and earned international scorn by defiantly conducting nuclear testing. But aside from that it seems hypocritical to cry foul about such methods being used to fight something such as terrorism and then turn around and use it to fight piracy.

When the RIAA acknowledges that the consumer has valid complaints about the cost of movies, music, and everything else to the consumer, I'll consider it "piracy". Until then, it's justly deserved, small artists aren't suffering, they're not with the RIAA and half of them give music away since it makes them more money.

Also, terrorisim=/=piracy.

*snotlaugh*

Wow, now thats what I call getting your ass handed to you... and by a granny no less. xD

I also think its rather idiotic of RIAA to claim that music artists are suffering. When was the last time Brittany Spears had to go with out a meal? When was the last time one of her bills went unpaid because food was more important? Hmm? When she can complain about going hungry for a few days, or not having enough money for bills because of all the music downloads are robbing her. Then, RIAA's claims will hold more water than a bucket full of holes.

Until then, RIAA should just shrivel up and die.

*snotlaugh*

Wow, now thats what I call getting your ass handed to you... and by a granny no less. xD

I also think its rather idiotic of RIAA to claim that music artists are suffering. When was the last time Brittany Spears had to go with out a meal? When was the last time one of her bills went unpaid because food was more important? Hmm? When she can complain about going hungry for a few days, or not having enough money for bills because of all the music downloads are robbing her. Then, RIAA's claims will hold more water than a bucket full of holes.

Until then, RIAA should just shrivel up and die.

I agree 100% ! This garbage about "we're protecting the artists" is total BS.gif! Like they have room to talk! The recording industry has ripped off countless artists throughout the years.

Take Ted Nugent for example. His first hit with the Amboy Dukes "Journey to the Center of the Mind" earned him absolutely nothing in the way of royalties due to the record company's notoriously shady contract negotiations. The RIAA is akin to the Mob in that respect. And all the money they've been collecting from litigation doesn't go to the artists. It only finances more litigation. :firemad:

A Danish artist once said that he didn't mind that people ripped and shared his music over the Internet - he made most of his money on concerts.

As do all artists I might add...Touring and merchandising is where the money is for them, record sales is where the money is for record companies.

I think the French measures aren't applied yet. I could be wrong though. Either way, it represents a gross invasion of privacy as previously stated. I expect this from the Chinese government, not France. However, the Olivennes report also mentions adding better methods of digital distribution. I'm at least comforted in the fact that the French aren't going to sue every person who shares a song on the internet.

Piracy still is stealing. Whether you like it or not, stealing from the rich still is stealing. It doesn't make things "morally" justified when it affects the rich. As much as I hate to defend those a-holes, they got a point.

However, whether piracy hurts the artists or not and whether or not it's stealing is a stupid debate. It adds nothing constructive and won't stop anything. The RIAA, lead by idiots, continues it's mindless crusade against illegal downloads. What it needs to realize is that it's a battle it'll lose. Unless they somehow start a witch hunt of epic proportions, illegally downloading songs will survive every one of their attempts at removing it. Suing people like they do almost makes me want to label them as "fascists". Trying to scare people by suing kids, homemakers and old ladies...that's kind of sick.

At any rate, the industry needs to realize that it's losing its battle against piracy. Artists and consumers will have to find a new contract that will be beneficial to both parties. I don't know what the solution is, but someone, somewhere is smart enough to find one.

That it is, piracy is one of the ways terrorists find funding. But I was thinking more along the lines of finding terrorists and what attacks they might be planning.

You got some findings to back up that thought or you just spouting your opinion?

The reason one can do it and not the other is because we, the people, gave the government the right to play by those "illegal" rules, while the RIAA is not a branch of the government and is therefore bound by the same rules we are. I'm sure if people hacked into the RIAA they'd find some pretty dirty business.

I've expressed my opinion on the RIAA in some other threads on this forum. To restate: The RIAA is simply a bunch of greedy, money-grubbing, record company executives that don't give a damn about their artists and are concerned only about their corporate bottom line.

Their tactics in their "battle" against filesharing have been questionable from the beginning. They started out by fliling their lawsuits in Washington and not even in the state they were trying to sue someone in. A Federal Court finally made them stop that, but they continue to subponea user information from ISP's which has been questioned on more than one occasion and defeated a couple of times. Now comes this information that their investigative service is shaky at best. I'm not honestly surprised.

At any rate, the RIAA's crusade won't stop until someone stands up to them. There are other ways they can accomplish their goals besides strong arm tactics and lawsuits. In many ways they encourage filesharers instead of deterring them.

Anyone interested on more information and where I've found some of my info can check out this site: http://www.eff.org

I agree 100% ! This garbage about "we're protecting the artists" is total BS.gif! Like they have room to talk! The recording industry has ripped off countless artists throughout the years.

Take Ted Nugent for example. His first hit with the Amboy Dukes "Journey to the Center of the Mind" earned him absolutely nothing in the way of royalties due to the record company's notoriously shady contract negotiations. The RIAA is akin to the Mob in that respect. And all the money they've been collecting from litigation doesn't go to the artists. It only finances more litigation. :firemad:

You hit the nail on the head. :smash:

Archived