Home

Is it possible to mod in more than 32 players per server?

Xandy

Does the mp sdk have what's needed to raise the max players on the server to greater than 32? If so, is there a further limit? Could I change it so 100 clients could join if I felt like it?

Or...is that another thing that we can't do cause it's not in the mp code? I see MAX_CLIENTS defined in the SDK as 32 but it's set in q_shared.h so...I think I'm outta luck...?

Does the mp sdk have what's needed to raise the max players on the server to greater than 32? If so, is there a further limit? Could I change it so 100 clients could join if I felt like it?

Or...is that another thing that we can't do cause it's not in the mp code? I see MAX_CLIENTS defined in the SDK as 32 but it's set in q_shared.h so...I think I'm outta luck...?

No, it does not contain what you need to do so. Just because it is there, does not mean that it would change anything in jamp, only in the 3 modules.

So yes, you are out of luck since you don't have access to make your own jamp which allows 100 and even then, I would choose a power of 2 number like 32,64,128,256,512,etc.

You would also want to increase the maximum number of entities too, since you want to ensure at least 0 to MAX_CLIENTS are always going to be client entities.

I've been turning the idea over in my head for awhile yeah. But I doubt JKA is the platform. Well, duh not with a 32 player limit.

It's a fun game to mess around with and I was doing some scaling experiments that looked like I could get a map about 25 miles on a side. And it's got swords. I like a game with swords. I want to make something out of it but now I need to think of what while I go look for another engine for my MMO.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a fun game to mess around with and I was doing some scaling experiments that looked like I could get a map about 25 miles on a side. And it's got swords. I like a game with swords. I want to make something out of it but now I need to think of what while I go look for another engine for my MMO.

You're going to have issues with maps that big. At sizes above 2 km (in world), float point inpercision is supposed to cause issues.

Dude. State where I say or even try to play being god. Seriously, you think you rule these forums because of your 1,179 posts.

I am only saying that you need to READ my post. Lemme point it out again:

This is me:

Yadda yadda... But that would be illegal and not advised for spreading.

And this is you:

Hex editing is technically not legal according to your End User License Agreement.

I'm sorry, but I think gods should be able to either read better or get a better capability of interpreting text.

Seriously though; wtf is wrong with you?

You're going to have issues with maps that big. At sizes above 2 km (in world), float point inpercision is supposed to cause issues.

Serious? That's something I didn't know and will keep in mind for the future. Right now I've been looking into the Darkplaces modded Quake 1 engine. It looks good, and more importantly it loads maps in a flash.

You could probably do away with it with lots of portals (hint/skip) so that its not having to do all the stuff in one scene if you have a big open area and you can also set the draw distance. But even when you get big like that you will have the problems like Midgar which take several minutes to load. (Sometimes mods cant even handle it).

You could probably do away with it with lots of portals (hint/skip) so that its not having to do all the stuff in one scene if you have a big open area and you can also set the draw distance.

Maybe by stacking the level on top of itself? I suppose might work, but it would still have its limits.

Archived