Home

Carth Or Atton

TehBombKerushii

Carth Or Atton?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Carth Or Atton?

In comparison to many of the game's other party characters? How so?

I'm amazed that you even need to ask such an absurd question.

1. Soldier who's unswervingly loyal to the good guys.

2. Betrayed by his friend/mentor (Saul).

3. Family members (wife and son, dunno what happened to his father) killed by treacherous former mentor (Dustil wasn't actually dead, but as far as Carth knows, he might as well be), swears revenge.

4. Eventually gets back at Saul and avenges his dead family member(s) or whoever.

5. He irrationally and unsurprisingly feels partially guilty for his family's death(s).

7. When Saul is almost dead he has to be told not to "follow the dark side" (or whatever Bastila said) because he can only kill people the good way.

8. His son is equally whiny and completely irrationally blames his father for the mother's death. He also irrationally joins the Sith for the sake of giving Carth a sidequest.

9. Naturally though, Carth has the opportunity to redeem his son.

10. Carth stereotypically sacrifices himself (cut dark side female ending).

11. If player is dark side, Carth feels irrationally [and unsurprisingly] guilty for "letting it happen" or not "seeing it coming".

12. If player is dark side, Carth gets to escape while the other light-sided party members drop like flies.

Etcetera.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7. When Saul is almost dead he has to be told not to "follow the dark side" (or whatever Bastila said) because he can only kill people the good way.

Revan and Bastila told Carth not to do anything he would regret later. Bastila didn't want Carth to kill Saul out of anger. Since almost all of us have seen a star wars related media where something like that happens

I'm not entirely sure. The poll ended too soon for me, but even then it would be a tough decision.

Atton is well, I love his backstory, but after a few minutes, when you learn it, thats just it.

I guess I'll choose Carth; He can be pretty good with blasters, and his backstory was just a tad longer, plus his voice actor was REALLY good.

Carth owns and so does his voice. Atton was ok, but like most have already said, I liked KOTOR1 way better than 2.

It think most of it concerns with the game just being rushed. I think many more would have chosen Atton if the game had actually been completely finished. I believe (not positive on it ) that if the game had been finished all the way that Atton would have died. I'm sure it would have given his character a much bigger fan base.

It's the same sort of concept with final fantasy seven. In my belief if Aerith hadn't died that game probably wouldn't have been as well liked or loved. That scene was super epic though so it makes the game one of the best outta the series. Even though I don't myself like it that much.

But yeah same concept, Atton, if he would have died, probably would have gone on to be some epic hero and he'd be everyone's favorite.... or i'm crazy.. *shrug*

I like Atton more since he was more comical and he seemed like more of a pilot then Carth did. Carth seemed more like a general or a foot soldier. Atton seemed like Han Solo. I loved how he would always hit on the Exile in some comical way. Plus he had a pretty good sith backstory and I loved how you could train him to be a jedi. Carth was good since he had morals but Atton was cool as the pilot of the Ebon Hawk.

Carth Onasi - for the back-story and incredible voice acting (Raphael Sbarge). Carth, although fictional, really stood out (for me at least) above any other fictional companions. I actually felt like he was struggling to overcome his past and make amends. I often found myself thinking "Maybe Carth feels left out.. I should go back to the Ebon Hawk and see what he's up to.", where in other games, I couldn't give a rats ass.

Carth is an icon. Pure and complicated right? Honestly, I'd prefer having him around to having Mr.Rand about, though Atton is a Jack-of-all-trades, which is useful in an RPG. I will state very simply that I'm not a very adventurous person, so hanging around with a former Sith assassin, fringe pilot, and Jedi Knight would not be my best idea of a good time. We all know how trouble, adventures, and other troublesome things gravitate to Jedi more fiercely than they do to Gandalf.

Of course, that could also be said of Mr. Onasi. However, Carth seems like the kind of chap I'd rather have around in a tight place than Atton. So long as it wasn't something that involved gambling.

As for the originality of the characters, I feel I should point out that Anakin and Luke are both highly unoriginal characters considering their 'mythic hero evolution'. I'm tired, farewell yee denizens of Lucasforums.

-Bearer ti ato Krijinia.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I did like Atton, he and rest of the KotOR II Crew felt a bit... hollow. In K1 your party says bits and pieces to you as you go, you have to wait and slowly tease pieces of background information out of them and it felt like you interacted with them a lot more. Getting to know them felt rewarding, and you really started to care about them.

In TSL I started to become slightly manic in my efforts at first, talking to Atton before every area change to see if he'd have a "Something is bothering Carth, maybe you should speak to him" moment. But he never did until you hit the right place and got his backstory trigger. It felt a bit more "Oh, Influence Success! I think I'll tell you my entire life story condensed into five minutes of dialogue" than "Well, I think I know you better now, I should tell you some more about myself".

...Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of TSL. So as good as I thought Atton could have been with his whole "Scoundrel" effort and his nice hair, my vote would go to the Carth Onasi, possibly the first game character whose romance quest I actually wanted to participate in for reasons other than quest exp.

I like Atton better than Carth. I feel for Atton's backstory of the horrible dark past really compliment's The Exile more than Carth's backstory compliments Revan's. Also, Atton is certainly a more complex romantic interest than Carth, seeing as Atton seems like a warmer and friendler person to Carth's constant snapping at you in almost every dialogue option you had with him.So, I'm gonna have to go with Atton.

• 1 month later...

Before opening this up, I thought Carth would win in a landslide. I was very surprised that it was close at all, and in fact more people voted for Atton. It's not even close for me - Carth hands down. Carth wasn't my favorite character to use in K1, and in fact I rarely used him when I had other options... but I never used Atton after I picked up Mira.

I like Atton better than Carth. I feel for Atton's backstory of the horrible dark past really compliment's The Exile more than Carth's backstory compliments Revan's.

Would have been much better if BioWare had Revan order the attack on Telos instead of Malak. Obsidian really went the extra mile with the Exile being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Atton's fellow soldiers.

I just read Atton's wiki on wookieepedia, and now I can see more why he has a following. I played a male Exile, which limits the story with Atton, and I never learned all that much about his background (I guess because I didn't have high enough influence to unlock his troubled past about being an ex-Jedi hunter).

I need another play-through, both of K1 and of K2.

I wound up deciding on Atton. I frankly despise both characters - they're both too whiny for their own good, and I really just wanted to saber both of them and then array their headless corpses before HK-47 like a grisly offering to my heathen gods. However, Atton had some genuinely amusing lines, whereas Carth just whined, and whined, and whined.

Archived