Home

savegames in MP

teh_1337_1

I've heard of this being done for Quake 3, and I wondered if this has been done in JA yet. I'm looking to make a single player game in the MP engine. Not FFA, CTF, Siege or any of those. I want a pure SP experience in MP. I intend on doing it via MP since the SP game engine is not released (and the people I personally know at Ravensoft state that it will NEVER be released) and there are bunches of code changes I want to do. The first code change is a save game function in JAMP.

Like I said I've heard of this being done in Quake 3 itself. In fact here's a great tutorial on doing it (http://www.rfactory.org/singleSaveGame.html). I tried to follow the instructions given in that tut, but there is some ambiguity. Before I get too far into it, has anyone else tried to tackle this? I'm highly interested in working with someone on this.

I think before you tackle this, its best to make a checklist of what are all the things you would like to save. For example, things you definitely want to save are triggers that have already been set off, player positions and angles, health, etc. Make a long list and we can help tackle it one by one.

• 2 weeks later...

At the time, I didn't do true saving because I was concerned about the technical aspects of it.

But now, I think it's pretty doable. All you have to do is save all the entity data off to a file. The only tricky part might involve saving data for more than one player if there's multiple players in the game.

Archived