Home

Where is Star Wars Headed?

*Don*

In 20-25 years, where do u think Star Wars will be as a cultural phenomenon?

Will it get bigger and bigger, or do u think it will diminish over time now that all 6 movies are over.

Also what types of games do u think will be released?

I'm gonna go with diminish. Personally, as soon as episode 3 was over and done with I pretty much just moved on. It was fun while it lasted. They might come out with the tv show(s) and a few good games and stuff, and that might take it somewhere. But in 25 years? It'll be old and gone, remembered as a landmark series and a cultural phenomenon, but pretty much dead.

Well, if no more intergalactic and crazy dictators rise up to try to control the universe (already done) then the SW universe might really start to go down, until it turns into a legend which future storytellers will pass on to future generations....

Or they couls just buy the DVD movies

...yeah, I'd have to agree with that. There's gonna be a few die hard fans out there, but for the most part with no new movies coming out it's going to fade away eventually.

that's why they'll keep releasing Special Editions of the new trilogies, and extra super special editions, and bonus editions with enhanced effects and new scenes! XD

True...

Do u think that some wacked director might try to retell the Star Wars saga in his own way and thus screwing it up completely?

They'd never get permission. The only way it could happen is as a spoof (see: Spaceballs). I agree that it'll diminish; it already has. Many teenagers today don't care much for Star Wars.

The only way it could happen is as a spoof (see: Spaceballs).

Yea, that's what I meant.

Many teenagers today don't care much for Star Wars.

How unfortunately true.

Mostly because they are afraid of getting labeled as *nerds*.

Simply shameful.

:disaprove

Are you kidding? Return of the Jedi was released in 1983 and Phantom Menace in 1999, that's 16 years that people were still totally obsessed with Star Wars with no new films to keep the influence there, only games and merchandise etc. The TV series will boost it once again, then another God knows how many years obsessing over that, then more games, then something else. Star Wars will never die imo.

your ears look painful, anyway i was hoping they would continue with another trilogy but only time will tell.

look at the star trek franchise, just when all series and movies ended its taken over by a totally new party and a new movie is on the horizon with all new actors, it looks promising.

Yea, that's what I meant.

How unfortunately true.

Mostly because they are afraid of getting labeled as *nerds*.

Simply shameful.

:disaprove

That and us youngin's didn't get to see the experience of the original instead we got Jar-Jar which probably didn't help to bring in new fans but I think that star wars as george lucas knows it will die, instead we'll get stuck with parodies, probably never as good as space balls and there will always be Star wars jokes in tv or something.

I think that motion-captured CGI technology, like in The Polar Express and Beowulf will be big one day, and so a remake of the saga with this technology (which will be extremely advanced in 20-25 years) is plausible, provided Lucas doesn't jump the twig till then.

Still, I think the peak of Star Wars' popularity has passed. What is interesting, is that perhaps one day it will be adapted to a medium we don't know yet, and its popularity will be boosted once more. Beowulf's sales increased with the release of the movie, as did Lord of the Rings, and well, you get the idea.

Perhaps total-live-immersion thingies will remake the Star Wars Saga, and things will become popular once again for a time being. I'm using Lord of the Rings as an analogy here.

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't think Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon will ever be as big or bigger than we've seen it, I also don't think it will simply decline or deteriorate. It's influence is too widespread, it's importance to my generation as well as the generations that have followed is almost immeasurable. There are a near limitless number of stories within the context of Star Wars, and more are coming all the time. I believe the move into television by George Lucas is a wise one, it allows him to expand on the films without diluting anything about them. Once these two new shows have run their course, there are always more television shows to be made. There are also more books to be written and video games to produce. Twenty years from now Star Wars will be on the minds of our children. Who knows, by then we could have a whole host of Star Wars films that have been made. About what? Who knows? But we've all had some sort of conversation about what Star Wars films you'd like to see made. Personally, I'd like to see a movie based on "I, Jedi", but that's just me.

• 5 weeks later...

My kids like Star Wars. They've watched all the movies, and play some of the games, and sometimes dabble with my SW book collection. I'm sure as they grow older they will look back with fondness at the Star Wars years they experienced, much as I did when I grew up. So in those terms, it will remain in the psyche of the current generation, and possibly get handed down to the next generation after them.

I must admit though that I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be, and it doesn't really bother me whether there will be a TV series or not.

Star Wars will never die as long as there's money to be made from it. New show coming out, merchandising's never been more lucrative than ROTS, it's still got decent legs as a salable product. And while the slavering masses will eventually forget about it and move on, its cult following will continue as long as there are sci-fi fans.

Archived