Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the eclipse at all. Was in work... then on the subway.

Oh well... I've seen one before. And after all... it's really just a shadow.

Work went longer than I thought. Started over an hour earlier than normal. I would have thought that would mean I'd be done a proportional amount of time earlier too, right?

I would be wrong.

It was easy, though.

Might go shopping for that TV tonight... if I get home at a reasonable hour from work, and still have any energy afterwards. We'll see... Won't even be home much in the next couple of days to watch it if I do, though... so maybe I'll wait until Sunday if I feel crappy this evening. Even if I do pick it up today, I doubt I'll get it set up right away.

Did my taxes last night... Thanks to the tuition credits I had carried over from last year I'm getting about $2500 back. I *should* put that towards the $10,000 I owe Visa, but an old '67 Fender Bassman head popped up on a (reasonably) local music forum for $400...

Ed, I'm picking your brain a little here... With my blackface Twin I drown out my lead guitarist and his nice new Marshall Valvestate (I told him to buy a real amp but he just wouldn't listen!) somewhere between 4 and 5 on the volume knob. I'm basically looking for something with a little bit of growl and a little less... umph than my twin reverb. Most of what I've read has suggested that the 66-69 Bassman heads pretty much do just that, but having never played/heard one I've been asking around a little.

The last set of tubes I dropped in my Twin were a low-rated set of GT 6L6GE's, and I love the way they sound when I really wind it up (starts to break up into a nice cream somewhere between 6 and 7), but I never get to wind it up when I play with the boys and I like my neighbors so I don't do it at home that often (there's a complaint about settling on a less-perfect house, Zarg! Walls aren't thick enough...) and I'm hoping the Bassman (run through my twin's speakers) will help satisfy my need for distortion I don't have to turn on with my foot.

Hmmm... That's a possibility. Definitely worth a shot at that money.

The very first Marshalls were based on the Bassman head circuit.

I thought the Bassman had a even higher wattage rating than the Twins, though... I could be mistaken about that, though.

But you may have to go British if that's the tone at the level you want. 50 watt EL34s may do the trick.

You may want to ask around here.

These guys are OBSESSED! You'll get a thousand answers if you post that question there. I signed up a while back... but I felt like a total gear noob there, so I really don't go back that often anymore.

I'm at work and can't remember for the life of me what the wattage on my twin is, but based on power tubes alone the twin should be louder... There's four 6L6's in the twin and only two in the bassman. Now, I know that won't make it half as loud, but I'm only talking about a couple of ticks on the volume pot... One guy I talked to with a '66 said with EL34's in it almost sounds like a plexi.

I was thinking about it over the last stretch on the floor and I'm pretty sure my twin is 85 watts.

As for the bassman, I think the combos had higher wattage than the heads did, but a) that doesn't quite make sense, and b) I'm speaking from memory of research I did 3-4 years ago when I bought the twin... The guy I'm potentially buying from said his head's 50 watts.

work is going good today. nobody has pissed me off yet.

however...on the way in the ****ing service engine soon light came on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****ing figures. and the rpms seem off compared to what it was. like, WHAT THE ****. trying not to stress over it, wondering when i should tell the people, cause i have NO OTHER MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION. in other words, i am ****ed. at least...it still drives. -_-

gotta get back to work...ugh. i'm not sure what i'm gonna do when i am done.

Got home after work and after running some errands, and found myself too tired to go back out and shop for TV sets.

Oh well... this weekend should be early enough. Wouldn't have set it up tonight anyway.

Work was slow and easy today. Tomorrow won't be. 60 + person orchestra. EVERYTHING miked. No way it's going to fit comfortably.

If it happens, that is. Several inches of snow by evening commute time. If it's bad enough, I imagine they'll have no choice but to postpone or cancel.

so, there is this girl at work who is "dating" a co-worker (yes they're intimate) yet they are not serious or steady. She doesn't drink, but goes to dance clubs, and he likes to go to bars and pick fights, which she is not into. Let's just say they are friends with benefits.

But we get along real well at work and have some great conversations. In fact she has "bumped into me" playfully a couple of times.

FYI i am not into getting intimate with her and rather have her as a friend. I would like to spend time with her outside of work, but I am worried about a possible jealous boyfriend. should i ask her? or should i smile and stay away?

Strings, woodwinds, and all that?

That's the plan.

30-odd string players alone... which (if my personal professional experience is any indicator) should take up most of the stage just by themselves.

Plus: a full rhythm section, with a complete drum kit, 7' grand piano, bass and guitar; a big-band horn section, orchestral percussion, latin percussion, and at least 20 vocalists on individual mics for the finale.

I've shown you pictures of our stage, right? It's tiny.

Seems to me that this band that's being proposed would be a tight squeeze on the Boston Symphony Hall stage... and our stage would EASILY fit 3 times on that stage... with probably some room left over too.

My inital reaction when I heard this plan:

"Jeez! What the hell are they smoking and where can I get 8 ounces of it?!?? 'Cuz I am going to need to be as stoned as they are to ever attempt to make this work!"

They are multi-track recording the show... so they want all the instruments miked individually. And we only have 64 lines split to the recording rig. A lot of stuff is going to have to be tied together down the same mic lines using XLR Y-cables.

It's going to be a fun weekend.

Oh... and this is a college event. So I get to put in an insane amount of overtime hours this weekend dealing with this stupidity for straight salary.

Life just keeps getting better.

Archived