Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

Yeah it's gonna be rough to say the least, but hopefully, we can figure out some way to make it work.

I need sleep. I was going to try to start Gears of War 2 tonight... but I think I'll just call her when I get home, then just crawl straight off to bed.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played some GOW2 last night... pretty epic.

Was in bed really early, though. Needed the sleep.

Today: Extreme ski movies.

*Yawn.*

Crazy easy day. Big money for pretty much just sitting on my ass all day.

Same thing tomorrow.

Meeting her after work on Sunday for dinner. She has about an hour to spare. It's all the time we have to put together at the moment, but I guess it's better than nothing.

went to 3 clubs tonight. first club we went to we arrived at freakin early, stayed for a few hours before going to another club that my friend wanted me to go to...when we got there my friend's plan backfired on him...he took me to this stupid gay club and he was watching this girl up on a pole and i was like 'uh...you do realize, that is a guy, right?' well the 'girl' got down from the pole and you could so tell it was a guy, he was about to take a picture and stuff it was so funny!!! we were out of there pretty fast. lol

glad the thing with your girl is going good ed.

i'm ****ing tired right now...almost hit a ****ing deer on the way back, i had to smash the brakes...my grandma is coming over tomorrow for the weekend. yay.....=\ like the one comment i read somewheres says.......'i'd rather snort a line of cocaine off a hooker's ass'

yeah....make sure he buys you dunkin donuts like on that commercial. :)

it's saturday...yaaaaaaay.

no work until monday. monday through friday i work 1-10, off next saturday and next monday as well! i have to work 2-6 on thanksgiving though, i don't care about that. i actually enjoy working on thanksgiving, it's pretty relaxing, though i'll be there 2 hours by myself...

Move went well... even though it was down 1 flight of stairs... and then back up 3 at the other end. :dozey:

We had enough people that it wasn't a huge struggle for anybody.

Stopped off at the New Balance outlet store on the way back from the move and grabbed a couple of pairs of walking shoes that were on sale,.. since i can't seem to find my favored Rockports anymore. :(

I am WIPED out tonight. Gotta get through another couple of minutes of ski movies, then the load out... and then blissful sleep for as long as I can muster.

Finish laundry tomorrow... then dinner.

She mentioned hanging out at her place after the kids are in bed and watching a movie.

Hmmm...

Something to consider, I guess... Certainly cheaper (for her) than her getting a sitter so she could go out, anyway.

It's something we'll have to discuss over dinner, I suppose.

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen

Nobody knows but Jesus

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen

Glory Hallelujah

He's a bass!

Ed, no news on the cat? Sorry to hear about that, but congrats on the dating! Dunno if you have ever dated a single mom, but I know from experience that it is something you often have to handle with kid gloves (no pun intended, seriously). Best of luck!

hey guys! dental school is kicking my butt. Otherwise life is pretty good.

Hey Ike, glad things are pretty good with you.

He's a bass!

Spaceballs FTW!

I wish, though. I'm like...a male soprano or something :(

I was trying to record some a cappella music earlier, and my complete lack of bass range made it very difficult to get any kind of good mix.

I ran across this video of Rockapella (those guys who did the Carmen Sandiego song) the other day:

Now THAT's a bass!

Ed, no news on the cat? Sorry to hear about that,..

No.

There was one false alarm when the town's animal control officer call to report a Himalayan the found on the other side of town last week... he started describing it, and I started to get my hopes up a bit... right up to the point where he said: "He..."

Lila was most definitely a "she." The cat they found was was confirmed male by a vet... so, that was kinda the end of that.

It's more than a little sad... but things are back to normal now... and perhaps it's all for the best. Especially now that it looks like I may be spending even more time away from home, that would have left mom with all the clean up after the cat.

... but congrats on the dating! Dunno if you have ever dated a single mom, but I know from experience that it is something you often have to handle with kid gloves (no pun intended, seriously). Best of luck!

Thanks. No: This is my very first experience with seeing a mom.

So, yeah... my life has suddenly gotten even more complex than it already was.

Gonna take it as slow as I can. After years of being out of the game in any way shape or form, to jump in at full speed to a situation as complicated as this is pretty frightening. While I don't feel like I want to get back out there and start "playing the field" again,... I also don't think I want to set myself up for a "lifetime commitment" right away, either. (However: if, over time, it just leads naturally to that, I think I might be OK with it... I'm just not going into it with that on my mind. I hope she isn't either...)

On the other hand: I do like her; I think she's pretty sexy; and I don't want to hold back too much on something that could be really good for me right now (or at least a whole lot of fun...) and risk scaring her away, just because I'm a bit uneasy with the situation.

It will require a delicate touch.

hey guys! dental school is kicking my butt. Otherwise life is pretty good.

Glad to hear it!

A good butt-kicking will do you good! :D Builds character!

(Stick with it man! Make us proud!)

:joy:

I ran across this video of Rockapella (those guys who did the Carmen Sandiego song) the other day...

I've worked their concerts a whole bunch of times. They seem pretty cool.

Their sound engineer is a little bit of a weenie, though...

A little of both.

We have a digital mixer... and all he ever does is complain about it all day when he's here: That he just can't do what he wants on a digital mixer. (Even though he is only using about 8 channels of the mixer at most.)

He insists that we drag out and hook up all our old external reverb and effects units for him when he shows up (although we have 8 of the same or better built right into the console) because he "needs" to be able to change a setting easily on the fly, and he can only do that on a box.

Plus... his personality is a bit... weenie-ish.

Not that he's ever an outright jerk or anything... but there's something about how he seems a tiny bit condescending to us (something I face with three-quarters of the touring tech guys that come through, actually...) rubs me the wrong way.

But it's just another gig... and we always get through it.

Yeah... but how it works is this:

Promoter wants to put on a show in Boston.

Promoter contacts band that will sell enough tickets to pay the band and production costs, and still make a profit.

Promoter books appropriate local venue to put on the show, and fill enough seats to make the aforementioned profit.

The band sends the promoter technical rider: A list of technical requirements, that if aren't met, means the band can pull out of the contract without playing, but still get paid.

Promoter forwards this onto the venue.

Venue tech staff tells the promoter if we can pull it off with what is in house.

If not: Promoter has to rent appropriate gear to fill the band's requests.

If we can possibly pull of the band's needs with what we have, then we are totally expected to do so. The promoter isn't interested in spending more of the profit, or botching the contract completely and losing ALL the money.

So the expectation is always that we get as close to fulfilling the band's demands as we can humanly do so, without having to pull in more gear.

If we refuse to do so when we easily could, that will probably mean the promoter will probably demand his money back, certainly stop booking shows at our venue, and most likely spread the word to others to not book our hall.

There's certain things that are impossible demands to meet (replacing our board with an analog one for the day, or removing our console and/or PA speakers... all of which are demands that have come up in the last couple of weeks...) but we are up front about those things when we see the rider, and my boss, the promoter rep, and the band's manager have to go into negotiations at that point to resolve a solution that will work.

But dragging out our old, funky, out-of-date FX units and hooking them up certainly isn't an impossibility... a 20 minute job at most. A bit of a pain-in-the-butt... but totally not worth getting into a huge fight over on the day of the show, and killing a bunch of business over.

Shouldn't that be pretty basic?
Yes. :dozey:

But the reason (he claims, anyways...) that he needs the hardware FX, and the analog board, is so that he can be turning up an effect on one voice, while turning down another, and quickly change effects patches and settings on the fly, while tweaking all the EQ settings on each vocalist's mic differently for each song at the same time... and THAT'S something that you just cant do on a digital board easily!

It's all about all the tiny, almost subliminal changes he makes over the course of the concert that keeps the audience's interest. It would be too boring otherwise...

(All his own words, by the way... and I've only heard the spiel 5 or 6 times over the last couple of years.)

:indif:

Like I said: A little bit weenie.

well at least he takes pride in his job lol

i'm bored today...my grandma was over, she left, we sold my sister's fridge, i went to her place to deliver the $$$, got to play rock band and watch 'get smart'. now i'm bored.

last night i decided to sent that girl i met last month a text message asking what's up. apparently she deleted my number cause she replied 'who's this?'

i wanna play oblivion, but my parents are on the tv watching lame stuff so i am just gonna have to drown my eyeballs at the computer. :(

i got a few of my old friends on facebook. it's definitely weird getting in touch with the past. i should've just left it alone, but nooooo i had to go and contact them...apparently nobody from my past gives a flying **** about me.

i need to find something to do i'm so ****ing sick of just sitting at home on my days off not knowing what to do. i'd go to the gym but it's sunday and they're closed of course. -_-

IMHO: Smaller shops are generally better.

If you can find someone who just does instrument repair and doesn't actually sell them, that is usually your best bet.

Although a lot of the smaller guys are often bought out by the giants like Guitar Center when they move into the area, so it's possible that their guys are really good.

Call around and get an idea of the price range. You don't want to pay too much (anything over a $100 seems high for a basic setup...) but also don't go with the lowest bidder, either.

You and Crack will have to start a band. The Crack Kookees... :joy:

Nice that you have a guitar now.

Sucks very much how it came to you man. :(

Ugh. Tired.

So: we met nearby where she works. Had a quick dinner (which turned out to be only appetizers, and a drink for her, since she was running a little behind, and had to grab the kids back from the ex before it got too late.)

I went home for a bit, then went back to her place later, after she told me the kids were down for the night.

I grabbed a DVD of "American Gangster" which I picked up the other day when I saw it in a bargain bin. Neither of us had ever seen it... Good movie, and she really liked it (she usually only gets to watch kids films, and usually the same ones over and over and over and over...) but a little too long. I really had hoped to be home and in bed around 11-ish, and that kept me out until after midnight.

Oh well... it was a good time... though I'll be paying for it all day today.

I'm not sure where we are going with this. I like her... but my gut feeling is that the schedules will just never work out, and it will be far too difficult to keep it going for very long.

As long as she isn't looking at moving towards anything too serious too soon, it might work out that we can occasionally meet up like this, around our work (and her mom) schedules, have a bite to eat, and watch a DVD.

If she's looking for it to be more, however, I might just have to tell her to keep all her options open, and see if she can find another nice guy who's working life might line up better with hers. Before we get into something that it's going to be way too difficult for either of us to extract ourselves out of gracefully.

When I got home, I realized I had missed a call on my cell while we were watching the film: Someone reminding me that I was supposed to be at work at 9 am this morning.

Ouch.

I had forgotten all about it. It's a good thing they called, otherwise I'm sure I would have spaced and blown it off... but not what I wanted to hear. As it was, I was thinking I had to get up at 6 in order to get the trash out... but with that I had to set the alarm earlier to 5, so I can be ready to get on the subway before 8.

Hooray.

Curling last night was interesting. Had some friends from Illinois surprise me by showing up. To watch the game. They took pics and video, so i might show them.... you all get to see my ugly mug. Didn't do well in the game... completly out matched by two of the opposing players, and there was a problem with some negative ice.

Bonus was one of the friends was wonderfully huggable and squished very nicely :)

Nice that you have a guitar now.

Sucks very much how it came to you man.

yeah, it sucks...

... no the guitar. :p

kinda looks like this: http://meatexz.com/cheesyguitars/terminator.html

a few things are backwards in this pic here

its covered with three inches of dust, three strings, and no back plate for the wires, quite spliced together :D

i know it works, cus he did used to play on it... :(

(she usually only gets to watch kids films, and usually the same ones over and over and over and over...)

you kidding, my niece loves the wizard of oz, and has to fight my mom over the dvd, cus thats my mom's favorate movie of all time :D

Archived