Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting phone call today, I was offered an interview with some company that looks to pay ALOT of money. Going to look into that on Wednesday, check 'em out and stuff.

Suit and tie time, whoot?

Good luck!

I was wondering what was so important to drag you away from our battle! ;)

Ace Combat looks great... but it's not really a true flight sim. A bit too "Arcade-y" for that. Still, it's probably about as close as you can get on a console, and it's also a lot of fun for what it is... and when you are in the middle of a furball your Adrenalin really shoots up.

I guess I'd recommend waiting for the price to come down a bit before you rush out to get it. Or find it used.

So far, I have to say, The Orange Box is the best game purchase I've made for this system. I'm having a blast with it! I can't wait to finish HL2 and tackle the other episodes.

Kinda sad that I'm nearing the end of Portal, though. :( (As well as the loss of my weighted companion cube. *Sniff*)

I hope they add some downloadable content for that game.

And yes, Kinnison,.. you should get one. ASAP... if not sooner!

:joy:

chilled with my mom this morning/afternoon, bowled a few games, my last game i did awesome. 120, which is good considering most of my games are 100 and below. Got my copy of Turok preordered at Best Buy. got a beanie cap with it and a demo disk. very cool! can't wait til the 5th of february...gotta request that day and the 6th off!

Hey cracken, you work at best buy right? will there be a 'midnight release' of the game or will i just have to pick it up the next day at whenever the store opens. just curious.

I suggest next day. Make it easier on the poor blue shirts that work there.

Kinnison: We do care, we want to blow you up. Because we love you.

I have yet to actually PLAY portal. I know, I'm a bad gamer, but I really haven't had the cash flow to go nuts. Soon though, soon.

Work today was ok. Very slow, and I had little to do. Yawn.

i find that going from playing a pinky note (e.g. blue) to a middle finger note (e.g. red) is the toughest transition for me thus far.

Crack, did you play easy mode or just go for the gusto? I like your idea of "choking up" on the neck so that the index finger gets more work. Do you think it would be worth my time to play on easy mode in that manner so I get used to playing two buttons with one finger?

That would help. Practice mode is built into the game for a reason. What I did was jump straight at Medium and Hard when I first started. Medium to get used to using all 4 fingers, then Hard to get used to using the Orange button and sliding.

Above all else, ABUSE PRACTICE MODE. And learn to down/up strum (Alt Strumming). It will save you alot of hassle if you learn to do it NOW rather than wait until the third installment of the series. Like me.

If you wanna use Easy to get used to sliding up the index to Green, I see no harm, but you won't have the muscle memory from playng on Hard to coordinate you pinky to do stuff.

ALSO! Hammer-ons and Pull offs: Very importantto master those. Play Impulse by Endless Sporadic (Bonus song bought in the store in game) to learn those. It's fun, makes songs easier, and the ONLY WAY to really do the intro to Through the Fire and Flames on Expert.

Easy songs on Hard/Expert are as follows....

Slow Ride

Mississippi Queen (some wierd patterns here though)

Closer

Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Chord changing practice)

Sunshine of Your Love

If you have the Xbox 360 Version, All My Life is fairly easy. Good for learning alt strumming triplets.

The Hardest Songs are...

Through the Fire and Flames

The Devil Went Down to Georgia (Xbox 360 DLC)

Raining Blood

One

If your on Xbox, Ike, I can attempt to help you learn some stuff via the kinda ****ty Online Play.

And yes, it helps a bit to play the real thing. ;)

Oof.

Got home from work yesterday at about 6:30. I was exhausted for some reason, and went straight to bed. Thought I'd nap for an hour or two...

Just woke up. :eek:

Huh. Guess I needed the rest. Well, that's good, I guess. I was waste-product all day yesterday. Couldn't get out of my own way. Didn't think I missed that much sleep over the weekend, but apparently my body thought otherwise.

Slow day at work,.. fortunately. The big highlight was rounding up all the staff and crew who were around, grabbing a couple of cars, and making a re-supply trip to Home Depot, to put a little burn on the boss's corporate card. :D

Other than that, the only thing I remember about the day was lunch.

Oh... and now I am apparently the only person on the planet without Guitar Hero. Everybody I work with who has a game console owns it now.

*Sigh*

The info is in the tutorial. But here's the skinney.

Say you have a string of 16th notes coming up, Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green. You notice the very first Red note is the only one out of the bunch with a Black Circle around the white core, the rest of the notes do not have the Black Circle around the white core. That means you strum the first note, and you can simply tap the rest of it.

Again, mess around with Impulse in Practice.

what is portal?

A very cool puzzle game set in the Half-Life universe, and included in the Orange Box.

Summary: you have a gun that allows you to open a wormhole between almost any 2 points by firing a blue beam at one wall... and then an orange beam at a different spot. Then a pair of portals open in those spots, and you can travel instantly between them.

You start each level locked in a room with only way out... usually in some impossibly inaccessible place, and involving a number of steps to unlock it even if you figure out how to get there.

It's trippy, the puzzles are complicated, and it's super addictive.

Perhaps the most fun I've had with a non shoot-'em-up game since Grim Fandango.

Highly recommended.

My biggest complaint is how short it is. But then: It could have been 2 or 3 times as long, and still seemed short though. A lot of fun.

I still haven't decided if I'm keeping my Cube or not. I'm kinda thinking I'd like to... but I have people clamoring for it if I decide not to.

I originally bought it for entertainment if I ever had little kids over. It could still serve that purpose... better than the 360 anyway.

Or maybe I invest in the Wii hardware at some point, and just keep all the games...

Something to think about...

Today at work was surprisingly productive: Did some good, ol' fashioned carpentry for a change.

Built a little platform for in front of the mixing board to counter the 10-degree or so grade of the floor where it is that always makes the chair roll around.

Set up the sawhorses outside the stage door and just went to work. It was very nice, considering it was in the low-60s today! The perfect day to do this job. We couldn't have timed it better!

Came out nice, too... despite the fact that it's been like decades since I've operated power tools to this degree. It all came back to me once we started.

Couldn't actually set it up in place when we finished it, however... since there was a crew sandblasting the years and years of layers of paint and patching off the floor in the hall.

Oh well... we'll see how it looks tomorrow. If we can get back in there by then.

Took a nice relaxed lunch (I felt we had earned it by then...) and then left a bit early for me. Schweet.

Not sure what I plan on doing tonight. Play some Halo 2 after dinner maybe. Haven't changed the strings on my Strat yet. Want to finish that Tolkien book I started before Xmas.

I guess if I plan it all right, I should be able to do all 3 of those things.

We'll see...

work was slow today. easy day though. got home, played the Turok demo for about an hour, followed by an hour of call of duty 4, now i'm playing big game hunter trying to beat the career and get some achievements, then i'll probably rock out on guitar hero 3 a bit.

Ike, what are your favorite games for the Wii? I've thought about getting one, but really only Mario Galaxy and maybe Metroid Prime 3 look interesting to me. I'm not sure that's enough to warrant a purchase.
Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, WarioWare Smooth Moves, GH3, Tiger Woods PGA tour, Wii sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I also enjoy some of the old Virtual Console games like Punch-out, Mario 3, etc.

The wii is a wonderful gaming system, especially if you're not an elitist gamer snob who thinks that a good game has to have cutting edge graphics. I recommend it to everyone.

Too much sleep the other night. Not enough last night.

I'll get it right one of these days... :rolleyes:

Been awake since about 2 am. Finally got fed up and got out of bed at 4.

And it's not like I went to bed exceptionally early, either. I was up until 11-ish.

I think it had something to do with how warm it was last night... I couldn't find the proper combination of covers to regulate the temperature. I was either way too hot... or just chilly enough to not sleep well.

Bah.

Archived