Home

2008 preview...

stingerhs

well, this thread is pretty basic: what games are you most looking forward to this year and why (or why not in some cases). to get us started, i'm looking forward to:

Grand Theft Auto IV: finally, the series gets the next gen treatment, and from what we've seen with the trailers, this game is going to look nice graphically. if Rockstar delivers on the promises, this game is supposed to at least be as big geographically as San Andreas and with more optional mission variety. the gameplay is supposed to get some tweaks as well, particularly with the combat, and that should work out nice as i always hated the whole lock-on mechanic in gunfights.

Fable 2: ok, so the first game didn't deliver the "ultimate RPG experience", but lets face the facts: Fable was a solid action RPG with a decent story and a fair amount of replayability. Fable 2 promises more of the same except with a better fighting system and pretty graphics. the official release date hasn't been announced, but it should be out sometime this year.

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty: finally a WWII shooter that promises to inject some creativity into this insanely done-to-death genre. this game is actually set in the 1950's in an alternate history type thing in which Germany was successful in its conquest of Europe and is launching an all out invasion of the east coast of the United States. of course, Germany is also making full use of a lot of "experimental" and new technologies that were only produced right at the end of the real war. the gameplay looks like its going to be similar to games like FarCry and Crysis in which you have wide, open areas in which you'll have to make use of a variety of tactics to make it through various situations except that this game takes place in the urban environment of New York City and Washington, DC. its supposed to come out next month, so i'll be looking forward to the reviews as it comes out.

FarCry 2: this one is taking us out of the islands and into a savanna environment. this one is impressive not just with the graphics but also with the physics. the physics in this game doesn't just extend to breaking things, but it also goes as far as how things burn and interact with wind. plus, the open environments remain in this one as well. hopefully, Ubisoft won't mess this one up like they did with the console editions of the first game.

there's several other games that i could mention, but i think y'all need to post some of your own. go ahead: convince me to get excited about a game that i hadn't heard of before. ;)

Force unleashed is being eagerly awaited by me. Same with GTA 4...I don't know why but the whole absurd nature of the GTA games makes me laugh...not to mention they're extremely fun of course. Haven't really been keeping up on game releases for the next year (I think mass effect killed my hype sensor) so I don't know that many that are going to be released next year.

I have to say there isn't a whole lot in the gaming world that excites me for 2008. That's probably because I only play on PC and pretty much stick to RPG's and racing games, though I did play BioShock last year.

- Space Siege. I'm hoping Gas Powered Games will put up a good showing on this one.

- Dragon Age? Just don't yet know if it's actually going to be released in 2008. Actually, I'm interested in any BioWare game for PC but as far as I know BioWare hasn't announced any games for launch in 2008.

SPORE.

Indeed !

Creating your own little critters and let them conquer the galaxcy , ow yeah !:lol:

PLus GTA IV , I just hope all the crazy radio host are back !

I think I actually like that the most about GTA , the crazy radio tunes and commercials . :p

Ofcourse the free roaming about and doing insane stunts , rocks to .

Jae wrote:

Kotor 3 (it had to be said)

Guild Wars 2

Any other NWN2 expansions

GW2 is said to start beta testing halfway through 2008 right? I'm all up for it :D

Fable 2 seems a nice game, with all the 'bad' things of it's predecesor removed. Another game I'm waiting for is Spore. Since I removed all my Lego's from my room I need some other vent to unleash my creativity into....

Games I await in 2008:

• Spore
  • GTA IV
  • Mercenaries 2
  • Force Unleashed

Future games I await:

• Bioware Star Wars Project
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Jade Empire 2
  • next Ace Combat game

Not really interested in Fable 2 from what I've seen. It'll probably be a rent or bargain bin game for me.

Fable 2 is going to apparently have guns. which is a dumb idea but there like musketts not ak-47's and modern weapons. GTA IV great some good graphics for the GTA seires not the best ive seen from the trailers but still there good for the 7th generation of vedeo games btw the 7th gen in video games is 360,ps3 and wii but yeah. ive seen little about Turning Point but from what i had seen it looked like a 4 star game to me because of the originality and story line. Far Cry 2 great game,great weapons,great graphics well over all great it is a 4 and a half star game to me. Frontlines: Fuels of War well i cant wait till i get to see the sandbox style gameplay considering its going to be a war game with some heavy firepower and even heavier storyline and some seirous vehicle combat! and the last game is Star Wars Battlefront 3 which should come out in 2008 and if or when it come sout ill be tanking my way into the local game store the game is supposed to have fully destructable enviroment,more maps,better weapons,better graphics and overall greatness!

GW2 is said to start beta testing halfway through 2008 right? I'm all up for it :D

I hope that takes some time, though, so I can play through the 3 campaigns of the first GW before it comes out, though the developers have said they'll keep the servers of GW1 running as long as there are players playing it.

Me too. :) I've got 5 charrys going now--3 in NF, 1 each in Prophecies and Factions. It'll be fun to see what they do with the Asurans and such in the next game.

Fable 2 seems a nice game, with all the 'bad' things of it's predecesor removed.
Like the cheesy arm-pumping "Hey!" to make your wife fall in love with you? Heh.

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty: finally a WWII shooter that promises to inject some creativity into this insanely done-to-death genre. this game is actually set in the 1950's in an alternate history type thing in which Germany was successful in its conquest of Europe and is launching an all out invasion of the east coast of the United States. of course, Germany is also making full use of a lot of "experimental" and new technologies that were only produced right at the end of the real war. the gameplay looks like its going to be similar to games like FarCry and Crysis in which you have wide, open areas in which you'll have to make use of a variety of tactics to make it through various situations except that this game takes place in the urban environment of New York City and Washington, DC. its supposed to come out next month, so i'll be looking forward to the reviews as it comes out.

Never heard of that one before, but it sounds awesome! I'll have to keep an eye on it, I'm a big fan of "what if" scenarios on our culture, cause it takes good script writing and fresh ideas to pull it off, so I hope this game has it.

FarCry 2: this one is taking us out of the islands and into a savanna environment. this one is impressive not just with the graphics but also with the physics. the physics in this game doesn't just extend to breaking things, but it also goes as far as how things burn and interact with wind. plus, the open environments remain in this one as well. hopefully, Ubisoft won't mess this one up like they did with the console editions of the first game.

It's a shame it's gonna be compared to Crysis though, which might be its downfall IMO.

I myself am looking forward to:

Jade Empire 2

The Force Unleashed

Mass Effect PC port :)

Devil May Cry 4

Metal Gear Solid 4

Lego Batman

Ghostbusters

Mostly, I'm waiting to see what comes out for what console and how good it is. I don't have any next gen consoles but I do have a list of games I'd like to get, mostly for the X360, but I'm waiting for Microstupid to get a handle on all the red-ring errors it's got.

Aside from any Star Wars related game coming out, I'm looking forward to Fable 2. By the time I got to Fable 1 the graphics were so out-dated it was embarrassing. Sadly, I can't say there's much else I'm interested in.

Archived