Home

Where are you all from?

Gabez

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm another one from the strangely large bunch of northerners that the LucasArts community has amassed. From the right side of the pennines, of course. Which is in fact on the left of the pennines, unless you're looking from Scotland or something.

Which is to say: Preston, Lancashire.

I actually had a whole existential episode the other day about what 'home' is, and that it isn't really where I grew up or where my parents live just by default anymore. Am I homeless? No. But I have become transient. Currently I live in Cheltenham.

I feel like I have to keep typing, but this is already way too much. Sorry everyone!

I actually had a whole existential episode the other day about what 'home' is, and that it isn't really where I grew up or where my parents live just by default anymore. Am I homeless? No. But I have become transient. Currently I live in Cheltenham.

"Home is the sailor, home from sea,

And the hunter, home from the hill"

-- From Robert Louis Stevenson's eulogy.

Haggis: those photos are very beatiful! I'd love to visit Rotterdam (and the Netherlands in general). I also like your avatar!

You can see some photos I took of Aberystwyth here.

Last year I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennselvania for a spell: you can see photos I took during that time here.

And if anyone is really that interested, here. Sadly it's not as impressive as Bellingham's is -- though it is funnier. My village is large for a village (but of course small compared to a town or city) and had a very important abbey 1,00 years ago -- and we have a few ruins of that, as well as some literature and manuscripts.

Haggis: those photos are very beatiful! I'd love to visit Rotterdam (and the Netherlands in general). I also like your avatar!

Why thank you! I must say I enjoyed looking at your photos as well... Aberystwyth looks like a lovely place. Oh, and if you (or anyone else, for that matter) ever need a tour guide when visiting Rotterdam, I'm your man. I've got a course coming up that's called Urban History: The case of Rotterdam, so I should be able to tell you all about the city. :D

Aberystwyth looks like a lovely place.

Oh it's really *really* not. They import some sand for the beach over the Summer if that's your thing, but beyond that there's very little.

If you go a little way outside of the town however there is some beautiful scenery.

Well, it's nice when the weather is nice! Which is once a year. Hoho!

Right now it's all wind and rain. But it has a sort of rugged beauty -- like the Yorkshire moors. And the castle is nice, and the old college -- but they're going to close the old college and turn it into a Starbucks, or something. >: >: >:

I went to Auckland once, JP -- it's very nice. It's a little bit like Wales, actually, now that I think of it! More than New South Wales is, anyway. New Zealand was very nice, and I'd love to go back.

they're going to close the old college and turn it into a Starbucks, or something. >: >: >:

When did this happen? They can't do that! That's a disgrace! I'm also pretty sure everyones internet connection runs through there so God knows what they're going to do about that.

I used to live in Auckland for a while, such a beautiful place. I worked in a hotel on Queen Street for about six months right around when they were shooting the first Narnia film. The production crew all stayed in this hotel and I managed to get a shooting script and a cast and crew list :D

Woah, that's awesome! I love Narnia. Do you have that script with you here? Can I fondle it lovingly?

About the old college: well, it was a Cambrian News exclusive! It contains quotes from the University, though, so I think it's real. They want to move everything to the Penglais campus, which to me, feels like a Dystopian vision of the future, with its maze of roads and concrete and claustrophobic panic attacks. I don't think they want to let students know about their plans. They'll do it all in the dead of night. Honestly, I swear this university is run by Sauron.

I wrote an angry letter to Professor "invisible" Lloyd, but I wrote it on a typewriter, and the ribbon needs replacing, and I made lots of mistakes. So I seem really, really insane.

lol, that's hilarious. Maybe we could start a campaign of letters that look like they're from crazies who could flip out and go on a murderous rampage.

On reflection that's actually a really bad idea.

I'll have a rummage around for that script if you like, I'm sure it's knocking about somewhere ... *rummages*

Oh it's really *really* not. They import some sand for the beach over the Summer if that's your thing, but beyond that there's very little.

If you go a little way outside of the town however there is some beautiful scenery.

I guess I did mean the scenery. At least the pictures are nice (love the ones with the swan, by the way - how did you get so close, Gabez?)!

I'm just naturally attractive to swans -- always have been. Thought it may have been looking for food. I just crouched down and was quiet.

Thanks for saying that the pictures are nice -- I took them all on a cheap camera I bought from Walmart in Pittsburgh, which just goes to show that you can get some quite nice shots from any old thing. And Paint Shop Pro (I'm too amateurish to use Photoshop) helps as well.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter what camera you have, it's all about perspective and composition and all that. I'm not an awesome photographer myself, but I use Paint.NET to spruce up many of my pics, it's like magic.

Also, the closest I ever came to a swan was this (different view). That had more to do with the swan being utterly confused for some reason, just standing there while people were gathering round it all the time.

Archived