Home

Other Language Translations

Darth_Linux

In this thread is information about creating translations for languages besides English, German, French, Spanish and Polish. It is carried over from the PATCH FILE thread where a discussion was started about Swedish.

It would be awesome to help out, but I can see no text at all when I play the game... What would I need to do to get english text?

I'm not positive about this, Fracman knows for sure, but we need to create a string called LANG_SWEDISH for each line of text.

in these two files: strings/dfmod.str and strings/dfmodbriefings.str, find the places where you find LANG_ENGLISH, and create a new line under each called LANG_SWEDISH, and then do the translation. Below is Fracman's exact instructions for this. Like I said, I've not done this since I'm a native english speaker, so post your questions about the process in this thread.

The objectives are already done.

But the dfmod.str must be completely translated.

The dfmodbriefings.str must be translated for the first 6 levels:

TESTBASE, DTENTION, GROMAS are completely empty,

and some descriptions are not there for the first 3 levels.

A note to the translators: the string parts that have the reference

"REFERENCE <MAPNAME>_original_string" must not be translated,

theses are only the strings from DF, but I had to cut them into separate parts for the menus.

There is always something like this:

REFERENCE <MAPNAME>_original_string

LANG_ENGLISH "(original string from DF)"

REFERENCE <MAPNAME>

LANG_ENGLISH "MISSION:\n ... \nOBJECTIVES:\n ..."

This one contains the mission description again and the objectives,

and this string is used for the loading screen.

Therefore only the strings with MISSION and BACKGROUND have to be translated:

REFERENCE <MAPNAME>_BACKGROUND

LANG_ENGLISH "(some background about the mission)"

LANG_SPANISH "put translation here"

REFERENCE <MAPNAME>_MISSION

LANG_ENGLISH "MISSION:\n (mission information)"

LANG_SPANISH "put translation here"

But the problem is, when I enter the game i get no language at all... All forms of text in the menus are gone... How do I fix this? Most swedes know english, so I don't think that would be a problem, I just want to know how I get english text in the game... As of now there is none.

Clarification:

The problem isn't the language, the problem is a complete lack of text.

With that said, I would still be open to help out if needed :)

But the problem is, when I enter the game i get no language at all... All forms of text in the menus are gone... How do I fix this? Most swedes know english, so I don't think that would be a problem, I just want to know how I get english text in the game... As of now there is none.

Clarification:

The problem isn't the language, the problem is a complete lack of text.

With that said, I would still be open to help out if needed :)

At this point, Fracman has fixed a lot of the menu problems that you may be experiencing. I'm bugtesting our patches, so perhaps when the patch is released, your issue will be solved. I have no way to really tell what is happening on your system since I don't have a Swedish Locale installation of Windows Xp to test on . . . I think the plan should be for us to release the new version of the 6 level mod (it's almost ready), you try it out on your system, and then see what happens from there. We could make a small pk3 file for the swedish translation files that would be an add-on apart from our final release.

My first question that comes to mind is, do you have this problem at all with the older 3 level demo?

thanks!

Okay, cool... Hopefully the new version will work.

The previous versions worked just fine, both in menus and in-game.

text.jpg

That's pretty much how it looks everywhere...

When I click on secbase i get Mon Mothma and the Death Star plans but no text what so ever...

I had the same problem.

Mine however (well i believe anyway) was caused because I had a mod that had altered the original JA files.

Therefore I had to reinstall JA and the 1.1 patch.

I then went on to install like explained in the instructions,

created a folder called dfmod in the game's 'Gamedata' folder (placing all the files for the mod in this new folder), then i right clicked on the JASP in the gamedata folder and clicked create shortcut. Then dragged that to desktop and renamed it to 'darkforces mod', then rightclicked what used to be the JASP shortcut and clicked properties. Then click the shortcut tab, i then changed the text in the target to look like this (everything must be exactly like below)-->

"C:ProgramFiles\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

It seemed to solve my problems when I did this way. Also remember (though not necessary) whilst in the shortcut tab you can change the icon, so click "change icon", then browse until you are in the dfmod folder and click on the traditional picture of darkforces.

I know some people are suffering from bugs even if they install the mod correctly, however if you do install it incorrectly i have experience that you will certainly get bugs.

Its a great mod in my opinion, just a shame its coming to an end (well as far as we know unless someone takes over).

Pity LucasArts couldn't redo this game, if they created a viable system (without the jedi) whereby weapons worked smoothly (i never liked JA handling of weapons), much prefered it the way they were in darkforces and JK2.

On another note, is this mod intended to only have 1 difficulty setting? On the previous version you had a option for hard if you wished, on this version I have experience no options to raise the difficulty. Also are saves supposed to be done on checkpoints alone?

Anyway thanks for the hardwork you chaps have done, this was a real treat at christmas.

Chris

Fracman says to make sure that you start the mod using a shortcut that contains the "+set fs_game dfmod" switch in it so that the game correctly loads all the files. If you try to load the mod from the MODS menu item, things don't always get loaded right.

This worked ;) Awesome! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i have the german version of the game.

And i have the problem that the menu and the missionbriefing has no text and buttons. Its like the Screenshoot in a upper post.

Edit: After some time i find out that the menu and missionbriefing only works with english settings, not in other languages. Was a hard try and error to find out without buttons.

Missionbrifing and Cutscence voice is english.(are other language available?)

But Ingame and in the Loadingsscreen are in german.

I install the Game and the Patch.

I create a shortcut: GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

So, seems only the english version works right.

And what is with the difficult?

Cant see a great difference between easy and extreme like in the old Dark Forces.

• 4 weeks later...

Tank you for this hint. I've got the german version too and had the same problem.

With the english settings it works fine.

another Question:

How can i play in the 3rd Person with Kyle? I always have the female twi'lek

Archived