Home

Awesome!

Type2

Just had to stop buy and say how awesome this mod is...

Wanted to play dark forces but unable to get it to work under xp, but now i can play it 3D!!!

Theres a few bugs which is understandable, like the menu icons/ text is missing for me, and a few graphical bugs like textures flickering, other than that this mod rocks and you should be proud of yourself Darth_Linux and the rest of the team for making a f^&k'n awesome mod!

looking forward to the real release.

l8r

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fanstastic work.

Pretty neat how the team expanded on some of the levels in a couple spots. Taking a tram ride through the Gromas Mines was certainly a surprise, and the Ph 1. Dark Trooper was bad --s!

Couple questions-

1. Why did you guys change the Crow model? I know it's a matter of subjective taste but I personally liked the one in the 2nd demo better.

2. Why the change where the Crow lifts off from Talay after dropping Kyle instead of hanging out like in the original game and the demo?

3. Is it just me, or on the 'normal' settings does the final version amp down the bad guys a bit? (I need to go back and play the 3-level demo again to answer that one!! :p)

Anyway, absolutely fantastic work all around. The six level demo is more fun to play than 90% of Jedi Academy.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back and played the original 2nd Demo, and noticed a couple of things.

In 3rd person, in the 2nd demo, the Bryar looks like the Bryar in Kyle's hand. In the final version, it looks like the Bryar in FP but in 3rd person it's the DL-44. Strange.

In the 2nd demo on medium difficulty, the bad guys are definitely more numerous and aggressive. In the final version they are very sluggish to react, and there aren't as many. I've noticed I can 'run n gun' the final version and barely get scratched, except on the detention level.

Overall, the quality of the work is out-freakin-standing. But it seems that in regards to the first three levels, the final version actually regresses a bit from the 2nd demo.

• 2 months later...

I have to throw in my kudos as well... Only recently was able to play it, and it is absolutely fantastic... The bugs for the most part are entirely forgivable... I was very impressed how these levels (well, I'm at Gromas Mines at this point, which is amazing) translated to the JKA engine...

Thank you to the whole team, I appreciate your efforts

Okay, I just played level five, which was also great! I cannot believe how imaginative and creative you all have been. I would even say that these missions are better than any of the single-player missions from Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy combined.

The tram that goes forwards, up and down was very creative; and the Dark Trooper cutscene and ensuing battle were just as enthralling as any such dramatic events from the later Jedi Knight games, if not moreso. I seriously cannot believe the level of professionalism in this demo! This game could easily pass for something from Ravensoft, or even id Software. Many a time I forgot that I was playing a Star Wars game and could swear I was playing Doom 3. I suppose you've aptly recreated the Doom-esque feel of the original Dark Forces game. Nice job!

A couple of suggestion (I suppose this will be for the new team): 1. There is a pretty big glitch at the end of this mission where it starts to play the cutscene while Jan is talking, and then cuts back. 2. I liked your first General Moch model far better. I looked so much more like the original character. Perhaps if you could work on the previous model so that its lips move, or try to combine the two models.

Oh yeah, and I found a way around the "ghost Kyle" glitch, which for me occurs after every single save: load a new campaign starting with the first mission, and then use the "map [name]" cheat to skip to the level you had been previously playing. Unfortunately though, you will be back at the beginning of the mission.

I'll tackle Mission 6 tomorrow!

Okay, I just finished just finished level six, another great mission. My only complaint is Crix Madeen. You should probably focus a little more on his model so that he's not just another generic bearded prisoner. Also, it would have been nice to have a cutscene in there when you rescue him, along with some dialogue. It can be very short and simple: "Katarn! Boy, am I glad to see you! Well, let's get out of here." Also also give him some one-liners for when you press the "use" button on him, as well as some injury grunts and a death scream.

Overall suggestions for the remainder of the mod (for the new team, of course):

--Work on resolving the "ghost Kyle" issue.

--Have the opening crawl take place before the first mission briefing, as I've been saying for a while.

--Work on the General Moch model. The first model you made for him was far superior.

--Work on the Crix Madeen model as well as some dialogue for him.

--Resolve the bug with Jan and the cutscene at the end of "The Blood Moon."

--Resolve the lightsaber bug.

All in all, this mod is astounding. It is better than Jedi Academy.

Hey Zerimar,

Actually, I kind of fixed the first, fourth, and fifth issues myself. I edited my copy of the autoexec and changed some things, namely the name of the Kyle model, and got rid of the stun baton weapon slot number, used the give weaponnum14 command, which is fists, and the 1 key now is practically the fists. As for the error with the video for Gromas which repeats twice, I fixed the script myself. Now it only plays once. If you want a copy of my autoexec and that script, let me know.

Zerimar and hhunter,

I received your PMs, and I am going to upload those two fixes; in addition, it has the df_cinematic 2 script, this fixes it so you no longer get loaded into a black wall that you have to touch at the end of secbase before the Jan Talay mission screen. To install the autoexec.cfg, I would suggest that if you two guys or anyone else that downloads this have the original in your base folder or whatever, delete it and add mine to the mod itself, but not in a folder. Open your build.pk3 and add this in directly. And by the way, feel free to edit autoexec.cfg to your liking if you wish; I added in a few things like some cheat binds and such; just open it up and look at it to see what I put in there. As for the two scripts, add df_cinematic2 to scripts/cinematics, and scene_outro (for Gromas) to scripts/gromas. Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll have it uploaded in a few minutes and will edit this post to notify everyone when I have it uploaded.

EDIT: Okay, it's up, and it's a very simple small download. Enjoy. New version now up with additional startup scripts.

http://files.filefront.com/Fixeszip/;10209745;/fileinfo.html

Wait, I opened up your "autoexec" file... does this mean that the Kyle model will now be the default one from Jedi Academy, aka "old Kyle?" Well, I don't want that!

Tell me if that's the case. If so, I'd rather have "mercenary Kyle" and deal with the "ghost Kyle" issue. It doesn't really make sense continuity-wise for him to be old in Dark Forces.

The rest of the fixes are ace, though. Nice job!

No, check your build.pk3, Zerimar. I think that there are two folders in there - one named ib-merc_kyle or something or other, and one named kyle. Why there were two folders in there, I'll never know. Regardless, the Mercenary Kyle model will replace the original Kyle. If not, rename the ib-merc kyle folder to kyle and then edit your skin file to say kyle, if nothing else. Let me know if you get it working.

Okay. That's weird. I don't know why you would be getting that error. It works on my end. I am going to update the fixes patch to include all of my versions of the startup scripts for each map that has Kyle starting with only one weapon. That's all he would start with anyway. Maybe that will fix the problem. Give me a few minutes, and I'll edit the post to inform you when it's uploaded.

EDIT: Okay, I have now added my startup scripts for each map. For mine, each has WP_NONE and then the name of a weapon I chose for Kyle to start with. Just change your weapon if you don't want the one I chose. Were you getting a bug of the lightsaber attached to your gun? I had forgotten about that error. This should fix it. There's a folder in the zip called scripts with each mission folder in it. I had to do it that way because the script was called start.ibi in each case, except for sewers. Just take start.ibi (and sewer_start.ibi in the sewers folder) from each folder and replace the originals in your build.pk3. Please let me know if this fixes the errors, please. I want to make sure everyone can play this without that dad-blasted lightsaber being NOWHERE in sight.

Whoops! Forgot to post the direct download:

• 3 weeks later...
Okay. That's weird. I don't know why you would be getting that error. It works on my end.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The fixes all work great, the problem I was having was while testing the Jabba level. No worries though it works for the first six levels so thats a good thing. Thanks again:D

Archived