Home

Shadows of the Empire Mod Coding

jedispy

**First off I want to apologize if this is an inappropriate forum for recruitment posts. I don't mean to spam here.**

The Shadows of the Empire Mod is looking for more people who might be interested in helping out. In particular we are looking for people in the following roles:

• ICARUS/BehavED scripting - This is the event-scripting language for Quake 3 based games.
    Recommended Software: BehavED
    Software Provided?: This program is free for download and is available in the Jedi Academy tool packs released by Raven Software.
    Experience level desired: Intermediate to expert preferred.
    Other information: Prior experience in programming is preferred. Prior experience in scripting for Jedi Outcast/Academy or similar Quake3 games is highly desired.
  • C++ Programming - This is for many of the game source changes that need to be made.
    Recommended Software: Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2005, Visual Studio 6.0, Dev C++, or any ISO/IEC 14882 C++ compiler
    Software Provided?: No. Dev C++ is a good ISO/IEC 14882 standard compliant compiler.
    Experience level desired: Proficient to expert preferred.
    Other information: Experience with editing game source code is preferred.

If anyone is interested in learning more, please stop by our website message board. http://sotemod.jedispy.com/forum

Thanks

ICARUS/BehavED scripting - This is the event-scripting language for Quake 3 based games.

Only Raven games, not all q3 based games.

C++ Programming - This is for many of the game source changes that need to be made.

The Source code is mostly C not C++.

Yeah sorry about that. I kept it general...perhaps a little too general.

What we're doing is making the mod SP style using the MP game engine. We're planning on adding lots of new features to the game. One thing I've been researching is the ability to have save games in multiplayer. Another thing we're working on it a fully functional power harpoon and tow cable for the snow speeders.

If you have not already, check out some of these tutorials for save game stuff:

http://rfactory.org/

Also, mind you ICARUS is decent, but I think it adds to some of the laggyness of the server and its not fully supported as it is in MP. OJP has some more of the additional stuff. But you may consider a different scripting to suit your needs. Particularly not LUA unless you plan on finding ways to support events easier and binding native things easier than the default methods.

Some possibilities:

Game Monkey

Squirrel Language

These also allow for loading in both plain text and binary versions of script.

I currently use GameMonkey on my cgame project for advanced client scripts.

Yep I'm using that tutorial to help me work on it.

Some possibilities:

Game Monkey

Squirrel Language

Interesting. I'll have to check those out.

We definitely plan on using OJP to help out with certain key things. Additionally any code we write we plan on contributing to OJP.

This does bring up a question. Has anyone put ladders into JA maps? What I mean are usable, climbable ladders. I've not seen any maps that use them but the code is there in the JAMP SDK. There are other Raven games that use them too (like Star Trek Voyager Elite Force).

There is no real movement code for them. Only contents flag.

http://code3arena.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/tutorial8.shtml

^^ Is a place to start, you'd want to get a little bit more fancy too though.

RTCW/ET have more fancy versions but you can't really use the code from them looking is fine though for studying and giving ideas how to write your own methods.

Exactly. code3arena has been an amazing asset for many of the code related goals we are researching. Ideally I'd like to improve upon the STVEF/RTCW ladder functionality. I don't care much for the "point your mouse up and press forward to climb" function.

Archived