Home

Grim Fandango in Vista (64bit)

Silvek

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's just been updated for Debian compatibility, nothing new of significance I'm afraid.

Bad news... I thought, that more might have been changed as new binaries for all OSes were released.

Does anybody know, if there is more then just one developer working on residual? Can in it be supported in any way (except for programming, which I am not very skilled in)?

Bad news... I thought, that more might have been changed as new binaries for all OSes were released.

Does anybody know, if there is more then just one developer working on residual? Can in it be supported in any way (except for programming, which I am not very skilled in)?

There is only one dev (aquadran) working on residual actively.

GF runs fine in windows environments, just follow the instructions in this thread. Unless you are on another OS that is.

• 4 weeks later...

Big sound problem. If I save the game and get back to the game the sound stucks. I can load again it want help!!

Now the monster in year 1 came and after that Manny walks and the sound stucks again. Now I can´t hear a thing!

Please help. I have updated the game!

Or if that not happens. The game repeat sounds and I can´t hear the rest: Sound, music and voice.

• 10 months later...

I just bought Grim Fandango 1.0.0.1. Was only able to install it after reading this thread. It seemed to be working great when I suddenly lost the audio. If I save the game, the saved game has no audio. In addition, whenever I try to save a game before I lose the audio, I then lose the audio on the current game as well as on the saved game. With the sound being so important to enjoyment of the game, I sure would appreciate any help. I don't get very far before this happens (met Glottis once) so I've pretty much got that first scene memorized. TIA :confused:

• 7 months later...

I wanted to install Grim Fandango on my Windows 7 64bit system and tried the GrimSetup1.0.exe. But it does nothing. When I doubleclick the file a setupwindow appears in the taskbar, which I'm unable to maximize and it only can be closed through the taskmanager. Taskmanager says, that the setup is not responding. Am I doing something wrong? I have the old Windows 95/98 (German) version of Grim Fandango.

EDIT: The same happens under Windows XP....

• 3 months later...

Wow, 3 months and no answer.

Since I made a huge hardware-change last week I made a fresh installation of Windows 7 and tried to install Grim Fandango again, but the GrimSetup still doesn't work. Does it work under Vista only, since it doesn't seem to work under XP, too?

Its an issue with the drive scanning code in my installer, it enumerates all drives looking for the grim cd. But if there's some problem with the drives and it cant parse one of them, it appears to freeze and keeps trying to read it.

I have got a newer version where it lets you manually choose the drive, but its not really tested and I cant remember if its finished. I'll try and have a look when I get chance.

• 6 months later...

So, like Silvek, Grim Fandango got a dusting off to be played again.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and have it working just fine. However, without some tweaking, the game displayed the following characteristics;

It disliked moving from fullscreen game to desktop and back again,

Whenever you pressed F1 to get to the menu, then resumed the game, the sound would disappear,

When you selected to use hardware acceleration (aka, anything other then software rendering), the game would hang after a short while.

To correct these problems I used the grimsetup1.0.exe installer from http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/grim-fandango-setup as a replacement installer. It asked for both cds and installed flawlessly.

You then want to go to the directory where you installed it, (In my case it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasarts\Grim ), and right click on 3 *.exe files, 1 at a time and select "Properties". The 3 files are;

Grim Fandango Launcher.exe

GRIM.EXE

GrimFandango.EXE

(GRIM.EXE is the important one, but I thought I'd do the other two just in case)

Once in the Properties, click on the "Compatibility" tab,

check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box,

and select from the dropdown menu: "windows 98 / Windows Me" (since this is what the game was designed for).

(If you still have issues, you may want to try checking some of the boxes under the settings section. I currently don't have any more issues, but these would be my next port of call.)

Next double click the icon created on your desktop and run the launcher, this should detect if your version has the patch installed or not and ask if you want to download and install it... click yes.

When that's done, launch the game, and once you're in Manny's office, hit F1, go to Options and turn on your Hardware acceleration.

At this point you should note that you have crisper graphics, when you resume the game, you should still have sound, and the game should not act erratically if you need to Alt+Tab to the desktop and back.

Hope this clears up some concerns or unscratches some heads.

Have fun

ED

:devburn:www.igniteed.com:devburn:

Also, Residual is nowhere near ready for a full playthrough from what I've read.

I played all the way through Grim Fandango in Residual a few months ago. There were only a few very minor animation glitches, and most of those have been fixed since then.

• 3 years later...
Ok, I've experimented around a bit, and here's what I found out.

First up, I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything wrong with my discs, so I installed the game on my laptop which runs XP. Everything worked fine, I used the original game installer and downloaded the patch, which applied without any issues and the game started perfectly.

Then I used the launcher/installer from bgbennyboy, installed the game without any problems but when I was going to install the patch, I got the same error as on my other computer.

Grim Fandango is already up to date.

The game data is more recent than this update.

The game still starts without a problem though.

So, if I use the launcher/installer, I cannot apply the patch normally, neither on Vista nor on XP.

My guess was that it had something to do with the registry, so I did a little trial and error on the entries there, and found the problem. There is a dword named "MAGIC" and it was set to 00016382 for me. When I deleted this parameter, the patch would install without a problem, both on Vista and XP.

After the patch was installed the "MAGIC" parameter appeared again, with a different value (00092774).

And as for my other problems, I don't know if I should blame it on Vista or 64-bit OS or both...

So, to sum up!

To get Grim Fandango to run on my 64-bit Vista system I had to:

• Install the game using bgbennyboy's launcher
  • Remove the "MAGIC" dword from the registry
  • Install the patch (using the launcher or manually)
  • Launch the game :D

One more thing, Vista has a funny way of putting stuff in the registry, it doesn't put the Lucasarts stuff under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\, but instead under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\.

More Vista magic :lol:

Jona, your DVD installer sounds interesting, I look forward to trying it :D

:thmbup1::thmbup1::thmbup1: Silvek - many many thanks for your solution! If fortunatly must be added to GF tools desined by http://quickandeasysoftware.net/ and others!!! But... we are still awaiting for GF REMASTERED for PC then!!! )))

LucasArts Quests like Rock'n'Roll - they 'll never die! ;)

z

Archived