Home

What is Your Favorite Operating System?

HK-42

What is your favorite Computer type?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Computer type?

• Vista
    • XP
    • Mac
    • Windows Classic
    • Older
    • Linux

Linux/Unix appeal to me because apparently some versions are free, but I'm really confused about it since there seems to be so many different kinds. How would I know which one to use?

Then I also don't know what (if any) benefits there are of Linux/Unix over Windows, besides the fact that you can get it for free.

Yeah, I'm really ignorant about this topic, :p

Oh man, what you need is a trip to the Tech Forum. Linux/Windows wars are pretty much half the stuff that goes on in there. :p

Look out for a few threads in there, lots of Linux discussion goes on there.

Linux/Windows wars are pretty much half the stuff that goes on in there.
Poppycock. :p

Basically it's just Astro moaning something about tech-savvy-nes, GUIs and idkwe. Oh, and there's me, trying to GUI his behind, or make him philosophy about the need for less techy ways to deal with things. XD

I've only used Windows ME, XP and Vista, and although I've tried Vista out (albeit the Basic version), I'm going to have to go with XP at this time. Although, I haven't had any problems with Vista on my sister's new laptop, apart from the fact it needs your permission to do everything, and it eats up alot of memory.

Dos...
Had a lot fun fun with that and the basic interpreter back in the early 80's while at primary school (dammit I am starting to feel old :D hey no...I'm permanently 21! - Jae is the one who's permanently 29 :xp: ).

Well, many years later (despite all that fun I had tricking teachers in computer classes back in the early 80's), I'd say that XP fills my needs for now both at home and at the office (I've used Linux but I'm not - yet - nerd enough to vote for it :p ).

Kinda luv Mac though when my old dad calls for tech help :p

I've used about 20 different OSes.

HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris(Sun OS5), DEC VAX VMS, SCO, SGI IRIX, IBM AIX, and a whole bunch more UNIX based systems that I can't even remember right now(and some I try to forget... TANDEM UNIX!!!!). I've beat my head agains the wall on tuning Kernel params for databases and learned to love then hate SAM.

You aren't 1337 til you've actually done "vi /etc/system" :D(or the various random system folders on the multitude of platforms depending on where the OS designers thought made the most sense on that specific Friday at 5 O'clock).

Personally, I don't have anything against Vista, or MS. In fact I use XP right now(trashed my Ubuntu set up because it was causing overheating, mostly due to the hardware). I refuse to buy any new MS OS when it first comes out. I wait until the first SP is released. Before I went to XP, I was on 2000. Before that I had a dual boot(well triple boot) NT4, 98, RH setup. Before that Intel Solaris SVR4, before that straight 95, and so on and so forth back to the old PCSHELL.EXE and even before that my Tandy TRS-80. Talk about being elite.... remember LOAD dos

well, i just need an OS that fits my needs. if i wasn't so heavy into gaming, then Linux would suit me just fine. since that's not the case, however, i'm stuck using Windows. i don't mind XP, but it just feels odd whenever i use XP since i use Vista everyday at home.

i guess you could say that Vista is my favorite OS as of right now, but i can't honestly say that i like it that much. it meets my current needs, though, and i guess that's enough. :)

Archived