Home

New HUD prototype

UDM

Well here's the left prototype of the new HUD. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Worked hard on this, so constructive feedback is much appreciated. I'll talk to Hockney about helping out with the coding part if everyone likes it

But first things first: is it better than the old HUD?

shot0000-1.jpg?t=1201324562

Looks pretty cool to me, and nicely done. The only thing that bothers me is the yellow meter at the bottom, something about the yellow half circle looks awkward to me, and draws my eyes directly to it rather than the rest, dunno how else to suggest to do it though.

But yes however I think it is better than the default personally.

I'm trying that as an experiment, instead of the usual blue coloured indicators for force mana, so you're right, it's far from perfect. If you noticed, the HUD is basically a throwback to the days of JK1 and JK2, whose huds were imho near perfect

This HUD is nice, but can you tell me what that is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/tanqexe/OJP/HUD2a-LS.jpg

Is it only an amazing project or something more?

That was my Photoshop mock-up of the HUD; all the necessary pieces are on different layers so that it'd be easy to put together for the UI code. I kind of understand how the UI code works, but don't have much time to implement it. I'm a visual person, so graphics stuff doesn't take very long compared to writing code for a functional HUD.

If UDM doesn't mind we can put up a poll and let democracy do its thing...but the question still boils down to coding being the problem, since I would love to see more of the tweaking that Hocs and DarthDie have been doing (which should take priority) than something cosmetic like a HUD...I dunno, whatever graphical stuff that can be offered, I can spare a little time to work on :/

:( @ all the response

I guess I can do that too, I'm just disappointed at the response after days and nights of effort is put in, and lack of sleep thereof, because 6 months ago everyone wanted a JO-style HUD

In any case, I'm still keeping my present work. Maybe I can talk to the coders to work out something like being able to change HUDs in-game

Yes Tanq's hud should of been left in the other thread, posting it in UDM's was not very nice. However I like both huds, maybe if there is enough time/knowledge to code the huds maybe make an ojp_hud command to choose which hud you want.

Definitely keep working on it UDM. The only other comments I have is I like the Hp and Armor on the left, and Force, Mishap and Dodge on the right. Mostly just because I am so use to it being over there, it would be very hard to get use to.

First of all I'm very happy to see all of these new players here on the forums, and I very much hope to see you guys on the field very soon. I think your presence here is the proof that all of the OJP team's dedication has truly paid off, and is still not done doing so.

If you'd like, join the (internet) Euro OJP server in about 6 hours. College'll end by then and I can scramble a few players to get jiggy with it.

We'll need to be realistic with the whole HUD ordeal we have here. Both huds look splendid, there is only one relative difference between them; one is almost finished, the other is in pre-alpha stage.

Personally I think that the nostalgic feel and pleasant memories of UDM's hud will not only bring in HUD fanatics, but also pull back some of the JO players through its nostalgia inducing spirit.

I think what partially made the 'feel' of games like JO and Dark Forces was the hud, which remained consistant and "star-wars"-y throughout their releases. 'Feel' is something OJP is shoveling back into JKA, and I think an old and proven HUD will only work to OJP's benefit.

I'm also pretty neutral. Yeah while tanqexes HUD looks killer, UDM has been working on his HUD for months between his military stuffs and has only had time recently to almost finish it. And I agree with max on the JO nostalgic thing. With that in mind we should probably either go with UDMs HUD or find a way to put both in making either one selectable. Or heck, maybe even all three.

I was going to consult the coders on that, but you guys are never online when I am :p. Can we have selectable HUDs? Tanq's sent me the picture files for his HUD, so I can probably do them when I'm done with the graphics files for my HUD, but is it possible to code in selectable HUDs?

Archived