Home

What is the game like now days?

neal8929

I haven't played in a while, anyways please answer my questions, thanks.

1. Is the community getting smaller? or is it growing?

2. Can I buy the expansions and use them on my current account or do I have to make a new one? I want to use my same toons with the expansion

3. Do you think I should start playing again, I have been playing on and off since like 20 years ago. not really but since it came out. And i have no other games to play ATM.

Guest DarthMaulUK

How long ago did you last play? Before NGE or after it? NGE has made a huge difference and returning players are finding that half of their stuff is useless, the control system is totally different than before.

You can upgrade your existing account, so you wont need a new toon when you grab the updates. Its worth popping in just to see for yourself really. Some servers are very empty while others are almost full!

Well I last played in August, not that long ago, but has the population dropped any since august?

I am not sure if the 45 bucks is worth it to play again, someone please convice me, because I want to but, cant get myself to pay up, 30 bucks for expansions and 15 for 1 month

BTW will the expansions work on my account if I buy this one?

http://www.direct2drive.com/6/4556/product/Buy-STAR-WARS-Galaxies:-The-Complete-Online-Adventures-with-Exclusive-Bonus-Items!-Download

If SWG wasn't so deserted, I would probably come back. I used the 14-day trial several months ago (this past October), and the game was just the same then as it was when I stopped paying for the game (August 2006).

If only the cantinas would be bustling with live entertainers, the cities bustling around with various individuals from all walks of the galaxy... I mean, there is such thing as "Battle Fatigue" on the person behind the keyboard - you can only kill and loot for so long before The Grind becomes boring. Plus, there was something to be said for the social value/content during the pre-CU/early CU days. When the social element returns then there might be reason to come back to this game, but until then, unless there's something special in the game worth checking out...

Well I like the space aspect, so I keep coming back for that. I keep leaving because the rest of the game tends to fall flat. If you left in august, the game has become more difficult. You can tell by the whining on the forums about how hard it is to do things. 1 gold can slaughter 1 player.

It has become a bit of a grind fest with having to kill so many mobs for the collections. But then I find that a bit of fun. It makes the rewards that much better.

Guest DarthMaulUK

All MMO games are a grind fest - we've Warcraft to thank for that. This goal based grind is extremely dull (for all, not just Galaxies) and I wished it would go back to the old skill tree system.

Its worth checking out again. A lot of people leave and return for various reasons, so give it a whirl

it's worth it. I'd probably be back, but my computer that could run swg died. It's like any game really, but slightly better in a way, as in for instance, a regular game you play, you go back to it and nothing has changed or been added (aside from mods, for instance, a console game), with galaxies, you play it a few months, take a break for a month or so and when you come back to play it, there's new stuff added. I really like how they did the expertise and the beast mastery. Plus, there's many, many, MANY different things you can do in the game. PVE, PVP, group PVE, space pve, space pvp, etc. of course people will compare it to other MMORPGS, but this is currently the only Star Wars MMORPG, that's why I like it more than the other MMORPGs.

Well I like the space aspect, so I keep coming back for that. I keep leaving because the rest of the game tends to fall flat. If you left in august, the game has become more difficult. You can tell by the whining on the forums about how hard it is to do things. 1 gold can slaughter 1 player.

It has become a bit of a grind fest with having to kill so many mobs for the collections. But then I find that a bit of fun. It makes the rewards that much better.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with 1 gold/yellow killing a player (is it barely or by a significant amount, like reds and purples?), if assembling a group wouldn't be so difficult. Not only can it be hard to find someone, it can be even harder to find someone interested, the latter which can be attributed to several reasons, including general lack of interest, something else to do, or significant CL differences (which IMO is a spawn of overt CLs, I think it was a little bit better back during the pre-CU days, when no one was better than someone else "on paper" [back then you essentially had to fight to find out]).

I remember having a fun time on Station Gamma, where me and a buddy were basically hiding in a corner trying to recover our wounds and get the incap timer to leave (we were trying to kill someone and search for those relics [yeah, we were deep in the asteroid]). Pressed against a wall, armed with the E-11 Carbine (ingame called the Imperial Blaster Carbine [or something informal like that]) and sporting the standard Bounty Hunter (the reward item from Fett) outfit as my only "armor", and my buddy was using default equipment (that comes from that Imperial Space Station prior to Tansarii), so he was running around with less than me (he was a Commando BTW). Neither of us died, we accomplished both objectives and we fought our way back out of there.

I think one thing that would make the game more fun is an emphasis on the roleplay factor. There's been an added sense of suspense and tension when me and a group of 3 other people were in a beat-up YT-2400, where the Reactor was at 14%, the Engines were at 6%, the Upper Turret at 12%, and everything else was wiped out at 0%, and we were limping towards the nearest space station for much needed repairs. IMO that was more fun and immersive than deathwarping to a space station.

And then there was the time in Kessel (for the BOR) where I was guarding Imperial Mining Vessels in my Oppie from those Asteroid Bandits (when I first arrived, many of them [mining vessels] had taken a beating).

It was things like that that made the game fun. I've never really cared for the CL 90+Jedi Master+PVP crowd, which was dominant of the people that were still around when I left (trial period notwithstanding). Essentially FMP, if you weren't interested in PVP, PVP, and PVP, you were lost.

(I could talk about pre-CU adventures, but we'll keep it NGE for now)

it's worth it. I'd probably be back, but my computer that could run swg died. It's like any game really, but slightly better in a way, as in for instance, a regular game you play, you go back to it and nothing has changed or been added (aside from mods, for instance, a console game), with galaxies, you play it a few months, take a break for a month or so and when you come back to play it, there's new stuff added. I really like how they did the expertise and the beast mastery. Plus, there's many, many, MANY different things you can do in the game. PVE, PVP, group PVE, space pve, space pvp, etc. of course people will compare it to other MMORPGS, but this is currently the only Star Wars MMORPG, that's why I like it more than the other MMORPGs.

Yeah that's true, every time you come back after a hiatus of some sort there's some sort of change to the game. ... and while we're at that, what sort of new content has been added? I've used the expertise, never cared about BM (although it was nice to see that back), and during the trial, I noticed the Imperial Theme Park got reset and somehow I didn't qualify for it (I noticed that when no one wanted to talk to me, let alone congratulate me for my work. Even Kaja brushed me away :confused: . At least I still have the Imperial Badge of Merit to show for it :p )

... and I'm kinda the same way when it comes to MMORPGs. I think SWG is the only one I could pick up and play on a continual basis.

Latest addition to game was Ord Mantel. A high level pilot quest, and a boardable ISD(something that's been asked for, for a while). There's new space collections(oh yeah collections were added depending on when you left) The old Village is back kinda...

Me, I'm working my tail off to get the Vigo. Lots of black suns to kill.

Is it the same Ord Mantell that's used in the beginner area (ie, Tansarii and Gamma) or is it a different area with the same name? Can you land on the planet as well?

As for the ISD, is it a high level dungeon for Rebels (I couldn't quite picture Imperials wanting to go on some killing spree inside one)? A boardable ISD itself might be worth checking out, though. I remember all the hullabaloo among the fanbase when they first showed a boardable ISD at a SWG demonstration way back when.

I know next on people's lists was explorable hangars (and being able to board your ship from there)

Never did the Village, as I'm one of the few that don't give a Rancor's butt about being a Jedi.

What are space collections anyway? Just a re-invention of space loot?

Ord Mantel is similar to Tansari and Gamma newbie section, except it is high level stuff. Outside the station the minimum tier you will find is tier 5 ships. I've seen up to tier 8 but I'm sure it goes higher... It is mostly space, but you can board the space station.

The ISD is not a raid for rebels only as the Admiral that took control has gone rogue and stole the ISD from the Imperial Navy and has joined forces with the Black Sun. Imperials have a chance to punish a traitor and his traitorous crew.

Space collections: There are 2 types

Slayer:

This is basic you have to kill this many of these... Rewards vary on the schematics you receive. In order to get the Black Sun Vigo Gunship(the first collection I finished for space) you have to kill 5 tiers of black sun. A WHOLE MESS of them. Incidentally I have noticed more people wanting to become gunners now that they added the Gunships. Probably because you have to kill 25 Tier5 Warlord cruisers(like a Vette, but I haven't been able to find the blind spot), 25 Tier5 Gunboats, 25 Tier5 YT1300's and 75 of each of the smaller fighters(and that's just tier 5, all 4 tiers below that have the same numbers minus the warlord cruisers). That is how gunboats are gotten, and after you complete the collection you get the schematic to have a GB made by a SW for at a minimum of 750k(My SW charges 1Mil, but guarantees 2.9mil Mass). There are similar slayer collections for Rebel and Imperial gunboats.

Space Parts:

These are non-functional parts that you can add to your collection. Once you collect all of a type you receive a reward part/schematic(I think its the schem, but I'm still hunting for parts) of that type. For example while killing for a slayer collection I found several Siezed faulty damaged etc parts that I added to my parts collections. Of course the good thing about hunting for those parts is I found some really great parts for my RE projects.... (L7 reactor with 30k Gen... WOOHOO)

I think the space collections are a bit more fun than looting. Plus that nifty HOOTEENEEE sound effect can be hilarious while hunting.

The village isn't for Jedi only anymore. In fact the jedi hate some of the rewards that the other professions get from it.... Good example is through the smuggler jewelry you can get Dire Snare, which can't be broken by the trackstars and their Force Run.

Actually it went Boardable ISD, Gunboats, Boardable stations(we have one now besides the noobstation), new ships(got the Naboo N1), living in space, and boarding parties for POB's(that's one I would still love to see). 4 out of the top 6 isn't bad for a single chapter update that was done rather quickly.

Ord Mantel is similar to Tansari and Gamma newbie section, except it is high level stuff. Outside the station the minimum tier you will find is tier 5 ships. I've seen up to tier 8 but I'm sure it goes higher... It is mostly space, but you can board the space station.

But you won't see them even though they're over the same planet? Hmmmm.

The ISD is not a raid for rebels only as the Admiral that took control has gone rogue and stole the ISD from the Imperial Navy and has joined forces with the Black Sun. Imperials have a chance to punish a traitor and his traitorous crew.

Figures they'd make content like that faction neutral. IMO having it be more faction-oriented would have been a bit more fun. Add 2 ISD and 2 Mon Cal cruisers, one of each is a dungeon, and another which is for the corresponding faction to receive missions and explore the spaceship.

Space collections: There are 2 types

Slayer:

This is basic you have to kill this many of these... Rewards vary on the schematics you receive. In order to get the Black Sun Vigo Gunship(the first collection I finished for space) you have to kill 5 tiers of black sun. A WHOLE MESS of them. Incidentally I have noticed more people wanting to become gunners now that they added the Gunships. Probably because you have to kill 25 Tier5 Warlord cruisers(like a Vette, but I haven't been able to find the blind spot), 25 Tier5 Gunboats, 25 Tier5 YT1300's and 75 of each of the smaller fighters(and that's just tier 5, all 4 tiers below that have the same numbers minus the warlord cruisers). That is how gunboats are gotten, and after you complete the collection you get the schematic to have a GB made by a SW for at a minimum of 750k(My SW charges 1Mil, but guarantees 2.9mil Mass). There are similar slayer collections for Rebel and Imperial gunboats.

I've been a pretty good gunner (back during the pre-gunship days [obviously]), even with the sometimes dizzying survival dives, rolls, and pivots in a VT-49 or YT-1300/2400 (my characters are Imperial), although I will admit I can be a little terrible in the back of an Aggressor (but then again I think everyone is back there lol)

Are people basically going for Gunboats like people went for Jedi once the NGE was released? I will say I might interested in gunning in one, but I'm not interested in flying one, as it really doesn't fit my BH's profile, and my medic (pre-CU character) is one who I hardly use and I'm content with the VT-49 for him.

Space Parts:

These are non-functional parts that you can add to your collection. Once you collect all of a type you receive a reward part/schematic(I think its the schem, but I'm still hunting for parts) of that type. For example while killing for a slayer collection I found several Siezed faulty damaged etc parts that I added to my parts collections. Of course the good thing about hunting for those parts is I found some really great parts for my RE projects.... (L7 reactor with 30k Gen... WOOHOO)

I think the space collections are a bit more fun than looting. Plus that nifty HOOTEENEEE sound effect can be hilarious while hunting.

Sounds nice, the ground game could use something like that as well in the attempt to give every piece of material some use besides running off to a junk dealer.

The village isn't for Jedi only anymore. In fact the jedi hate some of the rewards that the other professions get from it.... Good example is through the smuggler jewelry you can get Dire Snare, which can't be broken by the trackstars and their Force Run.

Actually it went Boardable ISD, Gunboats, Boardable stations(we have one now besides the noobstation), new ships(got the Naboo N1), living in space, and boarding parties for POB's(that's one I would still love to see). 4 out of the top 6 isn't bad for a single chapter update that was done rather quickly.

:lol: Whining Jedi... What else is new...

The content sounds pretty good, and it gives some of the CL 90s something to do.

I think they should give the Architects the chance to rebuild Restuss. Come July that place will have been in ruins for 2 years now. I'm sure people are getting bored with that place, and it would give a less-emphasized position some significant content.

I think ground weapons needs a revamp, but I'll get into that sometime later.

And let's not forget strengthening the Credit. 20,000 Credits in 2004 could buy you a heck of a lot more than 20,000 Credits in 2008.

But you won't see them even though they're over the same planet? Hmmmm.

Yeah I think it has more to do with Tansari and Gamma being a completely seperate server...

Figures they'd make content like that faction neutral. IMO having it be more faction-oriented would have been a bit more fun. Add 2 ISD and 2 Mon Cal cruisers, one of each is a dungeon, and another which is for the corresponding faction to receive missions and explore the spaceship.

They really couldn't win. Technically at this point in the timeline Mon Calamari cruisers haven't been invented(ok, ok, neither were A-wings, but anyway). I do agree with you on that they should have added two factional dungeons, but since the interior of the ISD was there already(it was in the .tre files), it was much easier to convert it.

I've been a pretty good gunner (back during the pre-gunship days [obviously]), even with the sometimes dizzying survival dives, rolls, and pivots in a VT-49 or YT-1300/2400 (my characters are Imperial), although I will admit I can be a little terrible in the back of an Aggressor (but then again I think everyone is back there lol)

Then you might be happy that they also added in gimble correction for turrets. Yes no more space sickness for gunners... Pilots can twist and turn flying harder than ever and a gunner can more easily stay on their target. I generally play as a smuggler, neutral with stronger rebel ties than imperial. One of my alts is an imperial pilot and I will say I like the way the imperial ships handle, and the VT-49 is one of the better designed POB ships.

Are people basically going for Gunboats like people went for Jedi once the NGE was released? I will say I might interested in gunning in one, but I'm not interested in flying one, as it really doesn't fit my BH's profile, and my medic (pre-CU character) is one who I hardly use and I'm content with the VT-49 for him.

Not really, right now there is a rush because they are fairly new, and there are a bunch of pilots out there who REALLLLLLY wanted their GB. I'm glad they made it a kind of grind to get, so not everyone has them. Plus being capped at 3M mass(generally around 2.8 - 2.9 million mass), it takes some creativity to get it just right.

Sounds nice, the ground game could use something like that as well in the attempt to give every piece of material some use besides running off to a junk dealer.

They already added it to the ground game. I wasn't sure if you had known about the ground collections. But they added several what I call scavenger hunts, Kill collections, and the rewards vary from XP rewards to schematics, to actual decorations. They also have high level raids on the ground, they added IG-88, updated Akxva Min, added a tusken King raid, and I think a few others. Grouping is important now as well.

:lol: Whining Jedi... What else is new...

The content sounds pretty good, and it gives some of the CL 90s something to do.

Hehe yeah its nothing new at all. But the good thing is that now there are rewards that affect them but are not for them haha....

And this game sorely needed high end content. Even back when the game mechanics were good, the content was lacking.

I think they should give the Architects the chance to rebuild Restuss. Come July that place will have been in ruins for 2 years now. I'm sure people are getting bored with that place, and it would give a less-emphasized position some significant content.

Yeah I don't PVP much anymore. Not my preference. Restuss was cool when it was first implimented, but now its camp the line and wait for the rush. OOOOOooooo Let me contain my excitement.....

I think ground weapons needs a revamp, but I'll get into that sometime later.

And let's not forget strengthening the Credit. 20,000 Credits in 2004 could buy you a heck of a lot more than 20,000 Credits in 2008.

As for the weapons, they just need to make crafted weapons more useful. If they gave smugglers (back) the ability to slice weapons, and armor, at the cost of the item being able to decay, I could see where a crafted sliced pistol/rifle/carbine could be better than even a rare loot reward that does not decay.

As for the credit, I remember my grandma saying "Back when I was a kid we could go to a movie for a quarter" to which my grandfater replied, Yeah but back then you didn't have a quarter!" Inflation in the game has no real cure. Unless everyone starts having to carry around credits in their inventory in stacks of 10000, I really can't see any way to prevent items costing millions.

My thing with the weapons is, remove the CL requirement with them and let any CL req's be determined by what upgrades the weapon has. I mean, a CL 80 E-11 happens to feature and function just the same as a CL 5 E-11, and I'm not a big fan of changing weapons every few CL. Matter of fact I think I have a room dedicated to unused weapons.

It would be kinda nice to say someone made me my own personal weapon which I have used for over a year. Yeah, various upgrades have been added and modifications have been made, but it's still the same weapon nonetheless.

Archived