Home

Chad Vader = Darth Vader in Force Unleashed

Monkey Mania

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/03/lucas200803?currentPage=2

:lol:

"In a particularly inspired casting choice, Matt Sloan, who is the voice of Darth Vader's heavy-breathing, black-helmeted supermarket-manager brother in the popular YouTube parody Chad Vader, lends his pipes to the real deal. "He's dead-on," says John Stafford. (James Earl Jones, the voice of Vader in the original films, was not approached to reprise his role for reasons, it seems, of both cost and availability."

Hmmm...

Dunno, James Earl Jones can't be that expensive... What if the voice doesn't really match in the game?

Dunno... This is kinda weird if you ask me...

Perhaps you should watch some Chad Vader. They said it right, he's dead-on. And those are just amateur videos. A professional game studio will be able to tweak out any other discrepancies digitally. If they were able to make Hayden Christensen sound like James Earl Jones, they sure can make Matt Sloan sound like him.

Perhaps you should watch some Chad Vader. They said it right, he's dead-on. And those are just amateur videos. A professional game studio will be able to tweak out any other discrepancies digitally. If they were able to make Hayden Christensen sound like James Earl Jones, they sure can make Matt Sloan sound like him.

I saw some of it...

But I don't know... James Earl Jones is James Earl Jones :D:D:D

I know he's good but I could definitely tell it wasn't JEJ in the trailer for the game. Also didn't they use Jones for Revenge of the Sith? I want to say they did. And last point, LucasArts themselves is developing Force Unleashed.

• 1 month later...

This is quite true.

I used to work for a design studio under the THQ umbrella, and even though THQ has huge dumptrucks full of cash, our studio ran on a shoestring budget.

That's the reality of the game industry. Fans might say so-n-so has GOT to be in the game, but there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes and sometimes studios have to make compromises in order to get something launched under the budget they've been given by HQ. For example, I remember when we made a Star Trek game, we almost had to release it without Data, because Brett Spiner was taking FOREVER to give us an OK on our 3-D model (the actors have image rights).

A fan might say, "No Data! WTF!?!" But even though we have a perfectly valid Star Trek license from Activision and Paramount, if he doesn't give us permission, we can't legally use him. Period. Likewise, a fan might say that James Earl Jones has GOT to do the voice acting for Vader, but perhaps he just didn't want to do it.

Scott Lawerence may be doing another project for another studio or he may be under contract to someone else. Who knows? Matt does a decent "Vader" and Chad Vader is a very popular character on the internet (heck, I remember an NFL football player saying in an article about his YouTube video that he'd like to be like Chad Vader someday), so that gives the game some viral credibility out there on the tough streets of the internets.

Matt and Aaron's videos get a MILLION+ views for every Chad Vader episode. Scott Lawerence who? What does he bring to the table compared to that?

Oh, and on a side note, Matt was my roommate in college, so of course I'm going to think he's a great choice, because then I get to tell everyone "I knew him back in the day..."

Archived