Home

Duke Nukem Forever this year?

Negative Sun

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys seem to be forgetting that a lot of video games get delayed for short periods of time.

And don't think of this as a 12 year old game. Remember, Gearbox had to basically start from scratch on it when they got the rights to work on a DUke Nukem game... whatever Duke Nukem Forever existed before Gearbox is DEAD. The Duke Nukem Forever that this game is started with Gearbox.

• 4 weeks later...

Can. Not. Wait

Do away with all this crappy, 'realistic', regenerating health garbage. Take us back to the glory days of gaming, where games were made to be ridiculous and fun, where games like Zombies Ate My Neighbours and Doom ruled!

This game cannot fail to disappoint me

(And all the trailers I've seen for it just get me more excited)

I don't think DNF will be terrible judging from everything I've seen of it... I mean, the little I have seen of it has been hilariously good. The game makes me laugh and the gameplay looks solid.

And that is basically what the game is about. It's not some epic space marine orgy or a way to live the fantasy of being a soldier in modern times and killing the peoples of a foreign country for the lulz. It's Duke Nukem, a culmination of all the bad action movies released over the years with all those protagonists who were *******s yet we cheered for them anyway.

I don't see why people say 'It won't live up to expectations'. Is there really anyone who has insanely high expectations for it? I just expect it to be stupid, loud, pretty, and fun, not some messianic figure for gaming. And I doubt many people have expectations much higher than mine.

Unless they think that length of development doesn't have a point of diminishing returns (which it definitely does), and that a game with 14 years of dev time means a game must be 3.5x better than one developed in 4 years. The only people who have any reason to be upset over how long it's taken are those who preordered and didn't get refunds, and 3dRealms investors.

If the game comes out and is fun and stupid, but not the pinnacle of gaming achievement, the only people disappointed will be those who expected it to be something Duke Nukem never was meant to be. If it sucks, then people can be reasonably disappointed.

And that is basically what the game is about. It's not some epic space marine orgy or a way to live the fantasy of being a soldier in modern times and killing the peoples of a foreign country for the lulz. It's Duke Nukem, a culmination of all the bad action movies released over the years with all those protagonists who were *******s yet we cheered for them anyway.

My sentiments exactly. Harkens back to the days of when games were made for fun, and action heroes blew up stuff

• 3 weeks later...

How cool is this of Gamestop...even though I don't know how many people will come forward with a 9 year old receipt. Liverandbacon I think posted a pic of such a receipt in this thread...tell that guy his receipt is still good!

Retailer GameStop tells old Duke Nukem Forever pre-order holdouts: "Your money is still good here!" Anyone who's been holding the pre-order torch for Duke Nukem Forever back in the day is in luck – your pre-orders are still valid after all these years.

Of course, we hope you saved your receipt, as GameStop clerks aren't just going to take your word on it.

In a statement posted by IGN, the company said: "With a long-anticipated release like Duke Nukem Forever, we encourage customers who pre-ordered more than a year ago to verify their reservation with their local store prior to launch. Provided the customer has a receipt, we will honor even those pre-orders taken long ago." Old school pre-orders will even get Duke's Big Package, the pre-order bonus that features Big Head mode, in-game t-shirts, and other extras.

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/31/duke-nukem-pre-orders-still-valid.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it and it's awesome. Best fun I've had on an FPS in a long time if you don't count Borderlands which is also by Gearbox Software. What other game sends you on a fetch quest around a tittybar to find popcorn, a condom and a vibrator?

If the folks who reviewed this game actually sat there, not laughed once and not enjoyed the great moments in the game, then wow... they must be hardcore militant feminists with no sense of humour or something.

This game is turning out exactly how I thought it'd turn out. Technologically it's outdated, however it still has all of that Duke charm (even with regenerative health and a 2 gun limit) and will make you laugh your asses off... unless you're militant feminist, a call of duty style fps fan or just a really jaded gamer who plays games but says they don't like any of them.

From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the reviewers that have criticised it are towing the politically correct line, either because they actually believe in that BS or to maintain the "integrity" of their site/magazine.

That really is a shame :(

The day we take video games too seriously is the day it'll cease to be any fun. I mean, sure, not all games have to be downright silly like Duke tends to be, but there has to be that mix there.

Duke being the way he is, an unapologetic hedonist is what's needed among the serious business video game characters of today.

Archived