Home

Duke Nukem Forever this year?

Negative Sun

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so much worried about politically correct games (in fact, I like sticking it to people who complain about violence, language, sex, etc. in games, and I like the fact that there are still people out there making games saying "suck it" to all the complainers), but the overall consensus seems to be that the game itself just plain sucks. I played the original Duke Nukem a looong time ago, and I remember that it was one of the first shooters I played. One of the biggest complaints that I've seen is that there isn't enough shooting in something that's supposed to be a shooter. It seems far too slow for a Duke Nukem game...

As I've said before, I've played the game...

What you're describing is the first part of the game, the very introduction. DNF has very bad pacing problems at the start of the game where you do **** all shooting and it takes awhile before you see your first alien.

Otherwise once you get over that hurdle and get beyond the RC car bit, there is plenty of shooting to be had. I can't really complain about not having enough to shoot at and the game isn't too slow... it's just much too short and linear. They went for the Call of Duty + Halo method instead of sticking to the traditional Duke Nukem 3D method. Read my review for more: http://www.twilightlynk.com/2011/06/13/game-spotlight-duke-nukem-forever/ :p

As I've said before, I've played the game...

What you're describing is the first part of the game, the very introduction. DNF has very bad pacing problems at the start of the game where you do **** all shooting and it takes awhile before you see your first alien.

Otherwise once you get over that hurdle and get beyond the RC car bit, there is plenty of shooting to be had. I can't really complain about not having enough to shoot at and the game isn't too slow... it's just much too short and linear. They went for the Call of Duty + Halo method instead of sticking to the traditional Duke Nukem 3D method. Read my review for more: http://www.twilightlynk.com/2011/06/13/game-spotlight-duke-nukem-forever/ :p

I completely understand, but that's why this is such a disappointment. 12 years in the making plus a $60 pricetag at launch with abysmal to mediocre reviews makes it impossible for me to even consider purchasing this game until the price hits $20-30. It's just such a letdown with all things considered, and I don't have to play the game to know that.

Of course it's not worth 60 bucks, it never was unless you were a fan of Duke who really just wanted to see what this game was all about after 15 years. It's not a game that's worth it's price tag, but at the same time it's NOT a bad game, and since you haven't played the game yet, you don't know for sure whether it's a truly bad game or not.

And of course it was going to be a let-down... 99.9% of people who went out and bought DNF knew that XD I know I did, I would've been a complete idiot to think this game was going to be a great game when in reality it's just an adequate game.

I can't understand why anyone thinks that just because it's had such a long development life it'd end up being any good. It's not like they were making the longest most comprehensive game ever over that period of time. For the most part 3D Realms were wasting time and recreating the game over and over again on newer engines before wasting all of their money, going bankrupt and think "well ****, we ****ed up."

Also, with the reviews... all that political correctness crap aside, it amazes me how strange these reviews actually are because while in a strange way I agree with their assessment of this Duke Nukem game not being enough like Duke 3D to be good... they DAMN the game for the same factors they PRAISE Call of Duty and Halo.

But you really don't have to worry about the price, it'll drop sooner than later.

Just started playing this game a couple of days ago and so far i've found two 'easter eggs' of other games.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
The first was for Halo, with the chiefs power armor. The second was for Dead Space, with Isaac Clarke's helmet.

Of course it's not worth 60 bucks, it never was unless you were a fan of Duke who really just wanted to see what this game was all about after 15 years. It's not a game that's worth it's price tag, but at the same time it's NOT a bad game, and since you haven't played the game yet, you don't know for sure whether it's a truly bad game or not....

But you really don't have to worry about the price, it'll drop sooner than later.

Yeah, much as I want to play this game, I'll wait for the price drop too (saw it for $49 @ TARGET on Friday). I agree to your basic point about overinflated expectations as well. Used to have to warn my brother about things like that when it came to movies. As to the reviewers, do they damn DNF for having these features or are they mainly complaining that those features are somehow out of place for this game? I generally try to avoid game reviews, much like movie reviews and tend to rely more on word of mouth of people I trust.

Not that I'm unhappy the game was released, but I kind of liked having it as the example of a game that would never come out...

In order for DNF to really live up to the whole development cycle, the thing would have needed to perform acts on people that are illegal in some states... I mean 15 years it would have to be the best game in the world. No way that would happen.

I think Starcraft Ghost is a good enough example of a game that will never come out...

What some people don't seem to get about DNF's development is that it's a game that was rebuilt several times on a number of different engines. By the time any sort of real progress was made it was after 3D Realms went bankrupt and Gearbox Software bought the rights to the franchise.

But even then all that could really be done with the game is salvage parts that were already made and try to put the jigsaw together. Remember, not long after 3D Realms went bankrupt, some information was released about the level structure of DNF which included an entire section of the game where Duke gets captured by the aliens and you played as a female character named Bombshell who was kind of like a character who defied Duke's perception of a woman... and who saves his life.

All of this stuff was planned, but even throughout 15 years most of the game hadn't been completed because of all of the shifting from one engine to another and all of the asshattery that went on at 3D Realms.

• 5 months later...

Archived