Home

How to run JK on Vista

Hyde_

I know many people using Vista had problems tu run JK on it.

I've been asking around, and finally ShadowX has come to the rescue of all those who use Vista and couldn't figure it out.

Here it is:

First, right-click jk.exe (wherever you installed Jedi Knight), set it to Win XP SP2 compatibility mode, and check Disable Visual Themes and Disable Desktop Composition.

If you're using a GeForce, get the latest official drivers, then in the NVIDIA Conrol Panel, create a custom profile for jk.exe under Manage 3D Settings then the Program Settings tab. Disable Antialiasing, Transparency Antialiasing and Comformant Texture Clamp for jk.exe (everything else works, but antialiasing will make JK crash every time, sadly).

Now, you may luanch JK and see nothing but hear the mouseover sounds of the buttons if you move the mouse. Alt-tab out of JK, then tab back in, and the menu will appear. Unfortunately, going between the 3D and the menu will always require this, so it will be a pain doing all your settings again if you forget something and have to go back into the menu, or when you're joining/leaving games. Otherwise, the game actually runs! I run JK in 1080p now compared to 320x400 when I first got the game... LOL!

Thanks a lot, Shadow!

I've actually gotten the game to work without doing all of that extra stuff, namely by giving it Windows 95 compatibility and disabling desktop composition as well as visual themes. I've also found it helps to run the game as administrator (right click on the game's shortcut, then select "Run as Administrator", or click the "Run as administrator" check box on the compatibility tab.

One thing I noticed that was causing the problem: Setting the resolution too high in compatibility mode (Windows 95 / 98 / XP will crash in high/widescreen resolutions such as 1680x1050). I got passed the "JK.EXE has stopped working" error message by setting the resolution at a much more moderate 1280x1024. Still looks great on my widescreen monitor w/Nvidia hardware scaling enabled (puts bars on the side though).

Without the compatibility settings, I've gotten it to run at 1680x1050, but there's a catch: Although you can see more on the sides, the game wasn't designed for widescreen and thus the top and bottom are somewhat cut off. Thus I play using 1280x1024.

I also solved the black menu problem. You can force JK to run in a window while in the menus. The game will still be in full screen and 3D acceleration with this setting, but will reduce to a window temporarily while in the menus. Still a bit annoying, but far less painful than having to alt-tab back and forth every time.

Just add the following command to the shortcut's target field:

jkwindowgui.JPG

Add -windowgui just after the quotes in the target field. Make sure you hit the apply button.

• 2 months later...
I also solved the black menu problem. You can force JK to run in a window while in the menus. The game will still be in full screen and 3D acceleration with this setting, but will reduce to a window temporarily while in the menus. Still a bit annoying, but far less painful than having to alt-tab back and forth every time.

Just add the following command to the shortcut's target field:

jkwindowgui.JPG

Add -windowgui just after the quotes in the target field. Make sure you hit the apply button.

Thanks for your very helpful tip. It worked great. I wonder, do you have any ideas of how to make the whole game run in a window?

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I just started to play Jedi Knight again (it is now officially my most played PC-game), but stumbled upon a couple of problems on my new Vista-PC. While unfortunately no one came up with a solution for the rather annoying alt tab-problem yet, I've got another issue: My right shift key doesn't work in the game. It works fine otherwise, but if I hit the key in JK, nothing happens. Since I'm used to put run on that key, that's rather annoying, and doesn't make it easy for me to play the game (once you're used to a control setting its difficult to change your habit).

Does anyone have an idea how I could solve that problem?

HAVE A NICE DAY

cornholio1980

• 3 months later...

Please help!

We have the combined Dark Forces II and Mysteries of the Sith game package for PC.

On Vista, Dark Forces II works straight out of the box, but Mysteries of the Sith installs fine, but then won't run (it tries and then stops). I've tried altering the compatilibility and followed other 'JK on vista' advice on here, but none of it's working.

Any advice please?

Ta very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the window mode thing, game runs fine until I hit start game. Then when it actually needs to show the game itself it just says "jk.exe has stopped working". I can get through the menus okay, just when i actually enter the game it crashes. Any help?

Windows 64bit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The installer that comes with JK is not needed. Just follow the steps below. Except for one step, all files are copied from the first CD.

1. Create a folder to place the game files. The default with the installer is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight.

2. Copy both files from the gamedata\exe folder to the folder created in step 1.

3. Copy the controls, episode, and resource folders (in gamedata folder) to the folder created in step 1.

4. Copy the gamedata\mininstall\res1hi.gob file to the resource folder created in step 3.

5. From the second CD, copy all files from the video folder (in gamedata\resource folder) to the resource folder created in step 3.

6. Verify that all the files copied from CD do not have the Read-only attribute set. To verify: select all the files in each folder, right-click on them, select Properties, and make sure the Read-only checkbox is clear (i.e. white with no checkmark).

Now, you can run jk.exe directly, or setup a shortcut that can be placed on the Start menu or a taskbar toolbar.

NOTE: Any registry settings needed by JK are created when JK is run, except for the lobby launching registry settings; those can be created by using the DirectPlay Registry Key for Jedi Knight.

To make managing mods and finding multiplayer games online easier, check out JKLauncher.

So it's a little more involved than the XP method (running it in compatibility mode for Win95/98), but still... Good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the game installed and it's been running great. Thanks all for the tips.

Though it's been running great, I just ran into a problem. I just completed the level where you escape from the palace. I put my stars in the force powers I wanted and hit OK. It then asked me to insert CD #2 and press Enter. I do this, but it won't continue. The message just stays up there. I can hit No, but then I return to the menu without saving.

BTW, Windows shows the CD in the same drive as I installed.

Oh, I'm running Vista-64 if that matters.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Sorry to be annoying and complain about the same issue but I get the same error message following the cutscene. I have tried all the solutions suggested but it still does not work.

Surely there is a reason why these solutions will work on some Vista computers but not others?

I would love to play the game again and I feel sure there MUST be a way

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to run this program.

I changed the Compatibility Mode in the file. But I am still getting the error saying that "Jkm.exe has stopped working".

The file location is Program Files > Lucas Arts > MotS

I have Vista 32-bit and Intel 965-Chipset Mobile Video card. What should be the best settings to be used?

I did everything to run this game and I want this game to run. I love the game absolutely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Woot! Followed these directions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKHub

The installer that comes with JK is not needed. Just follow the steps below. Except for one step, all files are copied from the first CD.

1. Create a folder to place the game files. The default with the installer is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight.

2. Copy both files from the gamedata\exe folder to the folder created in step 1.

3. Copy the controls, episode, and resource folders (in gamedata folder) to the folder created in step 1.

4. Copy the gamedata\mininstall\res1hi.gob file to the resource folder created in step 3.

5. From the second CD, copy all files from the video folder (in gamedata\resource folder) to the resource folder created in step 3.

6. Verify that all the files copied from CD do not have the Read-only attribute set. To verify: select all the files in each folder, right-click on them, select Properties, and make sure the Read-only checkbox is clear (i.e. white with no checkmark).

Now, you can run jk.exe directly, or setup a shortcut that can be placed on the Start menu or a taskbar toolbar.

NOTE: Any registry settings needed by JK are created when JK is run, except for the lobby launching registry settings; those can be created by using the DirectPlay Registry Key for Jedi Knight.

To make managing mods and finding multiplayer games online easier, check out JKLauncher.

and it worked GREAT! Thanks so much for the tips. The only issue I've had is that Daemon tools won't even mount the expansion ISO. Maybe I just got a bad copy?

64 bit compatability issues have been plagueing me since I bought this computer, but it appears you can run most anything if you can just circumvent the install.

On that note if anyone knows I need help with:

the original Dark Forces

The Dark Eye (the Poe game)

If someone knows how to compile these PLEASE let me know.

Archived