Home

How to run JK on Vista

Hyde_

Hey guys, all this has been really helpful, and it worked for my normal Jk game, and I'm really thankful But how do I make MOtS run? Any suggestions, the run as administrator in compatibility mode did not work =/

And I don't know were to get a MOtS registery like the one for the manual setup of the Jk game (Which is the only way I could make my JK work) but the JK works great... Thanks for any help

• 1 month later...

Anyone having problem with inserting CDs and so on, please copy JK_.CD file onto the "RESOURCE" subdirectory of install directory and replace the contents with an hex editor, write these bytes:

0x84 0x32 0x97 0x69

(Obviously you first have to copy all the cutscenes stuff from both CD1 and CD2)

To run under Vista or Seven (32 or 64 bit) launch JK.EXE with -windowgui parameter. The menus and cutscenes will run in a window, the action will run fullscreen. Furthermore extend view area to maximum to prevent flickering.

You can bet those hints will make you run this wonderful game.

• 1 month later...
=kheimon;2706049]Anyone having problem with inserting CDs and so on, please copy JK_.CD file onto the "RESOURCE" subdirectory of install directory and replace the contents with an hex editor, write these bytes:

0x84 0x32 0x97 0x69

(Obviously you first have to copy all the cutscenes stuff from both CD1 and CD2)

I can't make it recognize either CD now. I played through to the Palace Escape without any problems, but not it asks for CD 2. I insert it, but it doesn't recognize it... nor CD 1 any more, as it were. You say to copy this JK_.CD file into the "RESOURCE' subdirectory, but it's already in there. What's a hex editor? I have no idea what that is, and I sure don't know how to "write bytes." What should I do to resume the game?

You don't need to hex edit anything, that's overkill.

Some seem to have had luck using Daemontools to "mount the image." But you shouldn't have to do that to get it to work.

Try starting over. Completely uninstall the game (but first copy all the saved games and control files to a separate folder for backup). Then use a free (trial) program like "YourUninstaller2008" to completely remove everything. Start fresh from the original, official discs in a new directory, apply the official patch (1.01) and go from there...

You might also try JKhub.net which has some unofficial patches that might help if it's your video card, etc.

JK_.cd should be copied from the official CD1 for the first half of the game and (if needed) cd2 for the second half. I wouldn't recommend using a crack for Single player though, frankly. For MP, either one will work (I usually just copy it from disc 1 for that purpose).

You don't need to hex edit anything, that's overkill.

It's actually piece-of-cake. Editing 4 bytes will make the cutscenes run smoothly from hard disk, without Daemon stuff.

I can't make it recognize either CD now. I played through to the Palace Escape without any problems, but not it asks for CD 2. I insert it, but it doesn't recognize it... nor CD 1 any more, as it were. You say to copy this JK_.CD file into the "RESOURCE' subdirectory, but it's already in there. What's a hex editor? I have no idea what that is, and I sure don't know how to "write bytes." What should I do to resume the game?

Don't reinstall anything at all :D

Edit the JK_.CD file with an hex editor like XVI32 (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download). Write in that file

84 32 97 69

EXACTLY in the first 4 "boxes" replacing the 4 values present. Obviously you first have to copy all the cutscenes stuff from both CD1 and CD2.

You can be sure it will work. The JK main executables apparently recognises this 4-byte sequence as a CD-check defeat. That's not evil, since this game is almost abandonware, and editing a 4-byte file is not cracking anything. You won't have to swap CDs with Daemon Tools or anything like that.

Just do this way and play this masterpiece.

Ok, I just found my MotS disc, and attempted this same manual install... It doesn't seem to work. Anyone know what directory MotS goes into? Ie; Lucasarts/Mysteries of the Sith? Or Lucasarts/Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith?

Is the folder itself called Mysteries of the Sith or MotS? Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure the default directory (I never use default directories with games) was something like "C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\Mysteries of the Sith" (Or perhaps Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith in there at the end).

You can find it on your hard drive by searching for "Goo" as the "Goo" (rather than "Gob" like JK1) is the file format used by asset container files (you can open by them by renaming them to zip, incidentally, even without a De-Gob/Goo utility like Conman).

To find it in your registry just search for "sith" since that will be in the title unless you used some custom title. It will probably have a few entries that say "LucasArts" as well.

As far as level editors, JKEdit was easier to use but is now harder to find since the website went defunct (I'm not sure if the author, Ole Thomasen, from Magicforce.com can be persuaded into putting it back up, but maybe he will if enough people contact him). However by and large JED was the most popular editor and had a lot of plugins built for it. It can be found many places, not least of which is Massassi.net's extensive editor section. The first public editor for JK was called "Force Builder" but it ceased development pretty early in the days of JK and has been abandoned since. "LEIA" was the editor used by the JK team to edit the Sith engine (the "Jedi" engine, iirc was used for Dark Forces, and of course JK2 and JA use the Q3:TA engine) but it was never publicly released. Other than giving the JED guy a few pointers and releasing one or two levels, the JK team was forced to keep a pretty low profile, unlike Raven software for the newer games (though they too ultimately had to cotow to LucasArts and any demands from the Ranch).

Eh, that's not really what I meant. The instructions here seemed specific about the path and folder name, I was wondering if that mattered for Mysteries of the Sith, cause I can't get it to run for the life of me, despite copying the same exact instructions for DF2. I'm thinking it might require some kind of sub-folder within DF2 or combining files from MotS with folders from DF2. Just not sure.

If anyone with MotS installed successfully could help me out here, that'd be awesome. Maybe a screenshot of the contents of the MotS folder and where it is located?

Well it is true that normally MotS "requires" JK to run. This takes the form of (again, iirc) that once you install MotS, it asks for a one time check of the second JK1 CD. So that might be hanging it up. Otherwise though you shouldn't need JK to play it at all. If that fails, you might just be able to put the JK_.cd file (from the second disc) on a Cd and check that in.

I'm pretty sure Dark Forces 1 is the only game in the series that REQUIRES you to install the game in a specific folder (C:\DARK).

• 4 weeks later...

hey I found out how to play with cutscenes with cd2 or at least how to whatch them ingame, i didn't complete the next level yet to test it but it's gotta work

simply copy the JK_.CD from CD2 and overwrite the existing one from cd1 and there you go

i guess when you play something with cd1 and want cutscenes you've gotta copy the file from cd1 again

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys hope someone can help. I had Jedi Knight working perfectly on my computer a year ago but I just tried to run it again and now all I get is a black screen in the game. And no I'm not talking about the menus (I tab for that). In the actual game itself. All that will render is the gun and the HUD. The game is actually running as when I try to run around I can hear what's going on just can't see it. I don't know why the game won't display now when it did before maybe an update to my graphics card did it. Does anyone have a solution?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived