Home

who wants to help finish dfmod

spiffman1912

I may not have the resources to finish it myself but I know someone out there would like to help finish this mod. I dont have tons of time to do everything nor the skill. but I want to help get this thing finished. anyone interested?

Just so everyone is aware, the DFMOD extras contains raw .map files for most of the games' levels except robotics and the arc hammer. Some of the levels don't have much work done on them but they should be a good jumping off point for mappers looking to continue the project.

That being said, except some significant stuff from me in the not-too-distant future (say, by the summer).

It would be nice if this can be finished by others; but, if it is, it is going to take some serious work. I came across a FAQ list for the original Dark Forces and discovered there are 14 levels total in the original Dark Forces. I'll post them here, along with status of if they were already made for the mod or were an unfinished .map file as was the case with three of them. And another thing, the missions that were in the 6 level demo were only a representation of what the team finished; meaning some of the missions were missing. I'll note that here too. Okay, here's the list:

1.Secret Base, Danuta, The Death Star Plans (Done)

2.Talay: Tak Base, After The Massacre (Done)

3.Sewers of Anoat City (Done)

4.Fest: The Imperial Weapons Research Facility (Done)

5.Gromas Mines: The Blood Moon (Done)

6.Imperial Detention Facility, Orinackra (Done)

7.Ramsees Hed Docking Port, Cal-Seti (incomplete .map file, part of the extras pack Linux released)

8.Robotics Construction Facility, Anteevy (done)

9.Nar Shaddaa, The Vertical City (done)

10.Jabba the Hutt's Ship (done)

11.Imperial City, Coruscant (incomplete .map file, part of the extras pack Linux released)

12.Imperial Fuel Station, Ergo (done)

13.The Executor (incomplete .map file, part of the extras pack Linux released)

14.The Arc Hammer (Missing, not ever in the mod at all)

Well, that's the level list. The good news, that only leaves four missions that haven't been done yet. The bad news, building one from scratch and the other three, at best editing the existing .map files and adding in what needs to be made (scripts, textures if needed, etc.). And incorporating them in with the ones already made. It would be great if someone could get ahold of the young ladies who did the voices of Jan and Mon Mothma (Jackie "Jack-o-Lantern" Gelfuso; you could send an -mail message to her through her artist website, http://www.jacquelinegelfuso.com and Machelle 'Mac' Wood) and see if they would be willing to complete their voiceovers to finish this project. That would be great.

Know what I think? I think the difficultly with these mods lies in the fact that they have Internet teams working on them, thus making communication and dedication difficult. It would be great if someone could find fans and modders in their area and put together a team of people working on-location together in real life. Have you noticed that there has never been a single video game made by an Internet team yet? It's the same principal.

That doesn't mean that you'd bar people from the Internet from lending a hand if they're interested, just that the heart and soul of the project would lie with the real-life team.

It may be hard to put together, but it's definitely something to think about. Try newspaper adds, bulletins, et cetera.

It would be nice if this can be finished by others; but, if it is, it is going to take some serious work.

Yes, it will.

7.Ramsees Hed Docking Port, Cal-Seti (incomplete .map file, part of the extras pack Linux released)

There's a LOT more to Ramses Hed you haven't seen.

8.Robotics Construction Facility, Anteevy (done)

Robotics Facility is not done. Karrackoo was working on a new (and by the screenshots on the website absolutely amazing) build that the team never saw in person, to my knowledge. We have no editable .map file to work with so unless someone can get in touch with him and get a copy we'd have to rebuild everything in this level from scratch.

9.Nar Shaddaa, The Vertical City (done)

10.Jabba the Hutt's Ship (done)

11.Imperial City, Coruscant (incomplete .map file, part of the extras pack Linux released)

12.Imperial Fuel Station, Ergo (done)

13.The Executor (incomplete .map file, part of the extras pack Linux released)

14.The Arc Hammer (Missing, not ever in the mod at all)

None of these levels is finished either. There are working - and in the case of fuel station, playable - builds for all of them except the arc hammer but they only include portions of the levels and still need lots of scripted events, enemies, etc., to finish them. The existing framework for narshada, jabba's ship, and the executor, however, ought to make those levels much easier for new mappers to finish. Fuel station is kind of a mess so I wouldn't recommend using it but that's entirely up to you guys.

It would be great if someone could get ahold of the young ladies who did the voices of Jan and Mon Mothma and see if they would be willing to complete their voiceovers to finish this project. That would be great.

All the voice overs are finished. I'm not sure what exactly is in the extras package but I'd be surprised if they aren't in there. If not, I've got them along with all the textures (finished and unfinished) for the game. If anyone is planning to continue working on the mod, PM me and I'll see what I can send your way.

Hope this helps clear some things up. :)

It does. You know more about it than I do, seeing as how you got to work with these guys. I was taking some very out there wild guesses on my part. Sorry to hear that a lot of the "finished" levels weren't all that finished. I guess that will mean even more work, should anyone take this project up to finish it. Mojo, as for the voice over work that Machelle and Jackie might have done that wasn't part of the final release stuff, Linux DID NOT include their sound files in the extras pack; all he put in there was a blooper reel of all the goofs the two of them made while working on the mod. There are music files for Executor and Arc Hammer, but no sounds of any kind other than that blooper reel.

Robotics Facility is not done. Karrackoo was working on a new (and by the screenshots on the website absolutely amazing) build that the team never saw in person, to my knowledge. We have no editable .map file to work with so unless someone can get in touch with him and get a copy we'd have to rebuild everything in this level from scratch.

but i ran around in the level robotics,darkstarmojo, i reached the part of the level where your supposed to go to the lower level,that was included in the build of the dark forces mod.you have the conveyor belt and everything including the ice waterfalls,all that was missing was of course major textures,coudnt this be taken and finished?im only asking because,it surprised me that so much of that level was there.

and the same thing about the nar shada level,a large chunk of it was there,wouldnt those two levels be easier to finish?anyway if anyone were to finish these levels,it would be fantastic.

but i ran around in the level robotics,darkstarmojo, i reached the part of the level where your supposed to go to the lower level,that was included in the build of the dark forces mod.you have the conveyor belt and everything including the ice waterfalls,all that was missing was of course major textures,coudnt this be taken and finished?im only asking because,it surprised me that so much of that level was there.

and the same thing about the nar shada level,a large chunk of it was there,wouldnt those two levels be easier to finish?anyway if anyone were to finish these levels,it would be fantastic.

A file with a ".map" extension can be edited in GTKradient to add enemies, scripts, and new sections. In the case of narshada there's a .map included in the extras package so the work that you see in the mod could feasibly be finished. Unfortunately we don't have a .map for robotics facility, unless someone knows how to decompile a .bsp (I don't). Without a .map file it doesn't matter how much was completed in the bsp. It can't be edited to finish what isn't already there. Disappointing, I know, but that's the sad truth of it. I'll see if I can get in touch with Karrackoo regarding the level but I can't guarantee anything will come of it since the entire team was asked to submit unfinished maps for the extras release so he either didn't want to release what he had or else he was unavailable and didn't get the message.

Forceboat, that's odd about the sound files. I was under the impression that all the unfinished material would be included in the extras in addition to bloopers, artwork, etc. But I'm pretty sure I have all the finished mission briefings. If anyone needs anything for the mod, feel free to contact me via PM or AIM.

I would love to help finish this. The only problem is that I know nothing about coding, scripting, cutscene making, skinning, modeling, or even a lot of the level editing, and I don't know anybody who'd bother teaching me - I just about gave up on online tutorials. A shame, because there were some nifty ideas I had thought up to add some "new" material. :(

I would love to help finish this. The only problem is that I know nothing about coding, scripting, cutscene making, skinning, modeling, or even a lot of the level editing, and I don't know anybody who'd bother teaching me - I just about gave up on online tutorials. A shame, because there were some nifty ideas I had thought up to add some "new" material. :(

I've found this site has some good radient tutorials:

http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorial.html

There's also a lot of documentation within the editor itself. It should be enough to get you started with basic mapping principles. For the more complex stuff it's usually a good idea to analyze professional or professional- quality maps to see how the pros did it. Having all the .map files for DFMod should be a big help. That's how I learned a lot of what I know. Before I started dtention center I could make a very nice looking level but I hardly knew a thing about scripting, triggers, etc.

I've found this site has some good radient tutorials:

http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorial.html

There's also a lot of documentation within the editor itself. It should be enough to get you started with basic mapping principles. For the more complex stuff it's usually a good idea to analyze professional or professional- quality maps to see how the pros did it. Having all the .map files for DFMod should be a big help. That's how I learned a lot of what I know. Before I started dtention center I could make a very nice looking level but I hardly knew a thing about scripting, triggers, etc.

I'm a level designer and I'm starting to expand from Doom and get into more modern games. I started to think on creating the arc hammer level but it has been on the back of my mind since some areas I couldn't recreate easily in Doom format. I'm starting to use GtkRadient so hopefully I can make a decent Arc Hammer level from what I remember (I will reference to the original level in dark forces just in case I get lost on mapping it).

Great mod guys! Dark forces is a huge nostalgia trip for me and I would like to help complete the mod. I'll check out the tutorial above and see if I can learn to make maps.

@Ryu91: The top-down map (from your mission overview pad in game) of the Arc Hammer level used in the original Dark Forces, is included with the extras pack posted by Darth_Linux. I found it when I was looking through the pack for goodies :). It would no doubt be a handy reference.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Folks, if you need any help with mapping don't hesitate to drop me a line. I'd be more than willing to PM you my email as well. All you have to do is ask.

In the meantime, I'm going to see about putting up some new screenshots for DF2Mod. Stay tuned.

Screenies?! Hell Yeah! Let's see what you have. I'll probably be talking to you once I start the mapping experience.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

I may also be able to help with designing new/modified content in the ship levels as I have a background in spaceship design...See here:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/455

I think it might also help to have a detailed to-do list for DFMOD for the purposes of coordinating the remaining work. This might also eliminate the need for some of us newbies to learn the entirety of map-making (a time-consuming process). We could maybe learn how to do a few tasks very well and just add that specific content to each of the remaining maps. I'm sure there are many of us out there who, having played the godly 6-level demo, wish to help but are daunted by the enormous task of learning to create entire levels to high standards set by the creators of the first 6 maps. Just a thought.

Fafnir_6

@Ryu91: The top-down map (from your mission overview pad in game) of the Arc Hammer level used in the original Dark Forces, is included with the extras pack posted by Darth_Linux. I found it when I was looking through the pack for goodies :). It would no doubt be a handy reference.

Thanks for the info Fafnir I'll take a look at that :)

Archived